Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should have got all numberplates and let the authorities work out who owns what... Hope you 'Informed' them of the New Regulations... ]:D

and the fact that THEY are the ones Destroying our Hobby :mad:

LW...

took photos of the number plates but they were to unreadable and they were a bit of distance away i was using a Sanyo Xacti duel camera (small) that why the photos are not the best left my big one at home :mad: :mad:
wont happen again

Please be gentle because I know very little about this stuff...

High banking has recently been made illegal in NSW (I think - correct me if I'm wrong).

Dredging is illegal. We all know that.

How can you tell if this is dredging or high banking? Looking at the photos it looks like a sluice that has a powered water supply (which I think was legal up until recently??) and a couple of pink hippos playing in their sandpit. I am guessing that what we can't see in the photos is the actual suction thingy being used to vacuum material. Yeah?

Thanks, Northeast :Y:

Aha, so that's the big sucky bit, gotcha. That's quite a big hose :eek: I thought maybe that was the water suction.

Thanks marksman, now I know what to look for :Y:

that hose i think may have been a 4" or 6" not sure from the distance but big enough to suck the bottom out of the river
1506166017_suction-gold-dredge-diagram.jpg

lol what #$%^@#$% ... social media might be your friend for once here... post em on all the facey groups, print em out and post em up at the local shop/servo near oallen, she's a small world. Someone should recognise the fat cowboy dude.
If gear is confiscated once caught dredging, and u have the pic of his ute...hopefully they lose the lot.

The thought of u hiding in the bushes taking pics of semi Nekid men is amusing but :)

Mod edit, do not not use such language on this forum!

... Pair of bloody yobbos.What part of 'illegal' don't they get?...I hope they troll these pages and see that we know what they're up to! :mad: At least next Saturday we'll be 'off the reservation' as you put it .
Can't wait to get the Prado 'fired up and rolli'n westbound.'...and I still reckon we should up our quota to 1.2 kg's ;) ]:D :cool: :eek: ...I wanna Minelab too! ]:D ]:D ]:D Cheers .

... Pair of bloody yobbos.What part of 'illegal' don't they get?...I hope they troll these pages and see that we know what they're up to! :mad: At least next Saturday we'll be 'off the reservation' as you put it . ]:D ]:D
Can't wait to get the Prado 'fired up and rolli'n westbound.'...and I still reckon we should up our quota to 1.2 kg's ;) ]:D :cool: :eek: ...I wanna Minelab too! ]:D ]:D ]:D Cheers .

yes so am i :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geez, that certainly does look like a big hose at least 4", must be a pretty hardcore pump. Needless to say, they would have cleaned that spot of every grain of yellow and no doubt can afford one of those fancy transfer pumps!
Be careful if you ever approach fella's like that, they can be pretty protective and can get hostile, I had a run in with a couple of them dredging not long ago and it escalated pretty fast (I won't go into details as it just add's fuel to the fire) yet now if I pull out my mini banker (recirculates a tiny 750gph pump with a ultralight lithium battery) I'm liable to be fined and or flogged la Old Sydney Town.

1506170759_minibanker.jpg

Flogging :Y: is what I'd like to perform on those to F...tards :mad:
Cheers Rossco. :D

Looks like there enjoying themselves on a nice day!.
And why did they ban highbanking?
It wasn't because they were doing the wrong thing its
because of ill informed greenies! And people tittle tattling on us!.
So weather you do the right thing or not greenies don't care!.
I have never done/tried any dredging myself, but I don't particularly care
what others do, as long as they not hurting anyone else who cares!, I'm sure
most of us have done something wrong, eg speeding, drink driving, texted or talked
on phone while driving!! And these things could actually kill someone! But do we report ourselves
for doing so!?? Funnily enough we don't!!.And these are a hell of a lot more dangerous then sucking up some dirt out of a creek!!.
But for some of us it's the old too faced saying, Do as I say not as I do!. How do we honestly think the parks or the greenies are going to react to someone dobing in a prospector doing the wrong thing? All it dose to them is say prospectors do the wrong thing, not that particular prospectors! but prosecutors in general, so all it dose is hurt the rest of us that are doing the Right thing!

Fish etc lay eggs in the creek bottom , sucking the gravel off it is definently the worst thing i know of that prospecting does to the environment .

Idiots dredging are a big part of the reason highbanking is being banned, because alot of the grass eaters cant tell any difference and they know dredging is bad.

aussiefarmer said:
Idiots dredging are a big part of the reason highbanking is being banned, because alot of the grass eaters cant tell any difference and they know dredging is bad.
True that AF. Lot easier to crack down on anything with a pump connected to it than it is to educate every Ranger/Inspector etc. on the different equipment. They all know what a water pump looks like but they don't all know what the difference between a highbanker & dredge is especially those power sluice/dredge combinations used above.

Latest posts