VMS Touring 700 HDX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one have a VMS Touring 700HDX 7" Off Road Navigator ?
1506170835_vms.jpg

I am thinking of getting something like this to put in my Prado, instead of a TomTom
Looking for something that gives me more than just street maps but also off road maps , way points and other capabilities..
VMS looks pretty good but are there other unites on the market with similar or better features, at a comparable price worth looking at ?

You can get Garmin topo maps on ebay for about $21.95

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Latest-2...787650&hash=item3d1c4c53c9:g:8voAAOSwPhdVNu52

Garmin have gps with lifetime map updates (the good guys have good prices) the other way to go is shonkymaps (free but will require a sd card) I have shonkymaps and the garmin topo running on 2 gps and you would be surprised to see the number of tracks that are not on one or the other. Some tracks are completely gone without a trace. Ken.

I ended up buying the VMS after going through all the other options , as i dont own a tablet already i was factoring price of it and then all the maps id want .

The VMS has the road going feature ( which is Tom Tom ) and then the off road with plenty of maps.

For the price these guys are selling it;
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/vms-touring-700-hdx.html

I thought id take the plunge and give it a go and so far am happy enough with it , and am also able to download other maps into it as needed.

Bumping this thread.
As I still havent bought an on-road & off - road system for the Prado.. but want to get something we can use for navigation to replace the Tom Tom ..sick of moveing the tom tom from the car to the Prado when we take it on a trip..
:)

I purchased a Hema HX-1 a couple of months ago, and based on my use so far am likely to regret it, so wouldn't recommend it at this time.
The HX-1 is meant as a sort of replacement/upgrade path from the HN-1 that has been around for quite a while and is still on the market.

But so far I have found -
- The device overheats in normal use down south, so I suspect it would be almost unusable if mounted on a dashboard and in the hotter areas of Oz. This seems to be mainly associated with battery charging.
- It is very slow at finding satellites and loses them in overcast weather
- Having to download the detailed maps to Explore the areas that you want to travel is frustrating. This is needed as there isn't enough memory to hold what you may like.
- The basic street maps "Drive" function is ok, but you need to swap between that and Explore mode where the other downloaded maps are used.
- There are some crazy display functions at times where the system swaps between the different map overlays.
- Offline charging is very slow unless using their supplied Mains charger.
- It does have a tracking function in the Explore mode, but not in Drive mode.

Could come up with a few more, but that's the main ones so far. Some online reviews have been quite savage.

Rob P.

Latest posts