Crevicing suction devices Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Been searching til my head hurts.

Is a device such as a yabbie pump or hand bilge legal for cleaning out crevices in VIC legal?

Theres the whole "Mechanical" argument that always comes up. A shovel is of mechanical nature in reality (mechanical advantage) What is the answer?

Thanks,
Shane

In Victoria you can use a highbanker or trommel no worries so I doubt you'd cop any interest using a hand pump.
Edit: although it is for excavation not processing so if they wanted to gnab you for it they probably could? I don't think you'll have any drama's with a yabby pump.

Who knows anymore mate
things are changing all the time
1506160987_leo-cullum-judge-says-to-defendant-ignorance-of-the-law-is-no-excuse-defendant-r-cartoon.jpg

Hmmm.

I purchased a hand bilge to make a crevice cleaner. Purely to fill a bucket to take to the high banker.

Upon googling I'm getting mixed answers.

Will they fine you straight off the bat or give you a chance to correct your methods?

Thanks,
Shane

Don't worry mate, yabby pump is totally fine.
Work quickly with a classifying screen over a pan so that the screen slows the flow and doesn't splash everywhere, do it both ways and you'll see what I mean.
We are lucky here in Vic, you can highbank, trommel, power dryblow, sluice, detect. Just not dredging.
Don't dig into banks or make a mess of the area you work, make a good effort to make it look similar or natural after you have worked an area and no one will notice you were there or care about your activities.
As far as I have been able to find out you can't vacuum dry (power driven) crevices though.

Been thinking about converting one of my highbankers into a rocker box with one of those hand bilge pumps, found a pump at a garage sale still in the box for $25 and as far as I can tell from google searching it's pretty high output at around 100 l/min. I finally got around to grabbing one of Peacemakers yabby pump attachments when that eBay flash sale was on the other day too, saved around $15 lol.

Latest posts