Whites TDI oz pro training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know if their is anyone who offers training ..goldsearch aus for example?

Cheers

Nick

Nick, check out the Tdi Field Manual, it is a download at the White's USA website. It is full of good information and is a good starting point. White's has a number of video tutorials for the Tdi Sl, these are also useful for the Tdi Pro users.
This website and others in the USA eg. Finds Treasures Forums Tdi Classroom. All good sources of info. It doesn't matter what machine you swing, the key to success is knowing your machine and getting the coil over a target. Often people advise at least a hundred hours of use, to understand the metal detector you are using. The Tdi Pro is worth the effort.
1505907605_andy7.jpg

If you walk into Goldsearch they would certainly be helpful, but I'm not aware of any training programs.. Best to familiarize your self with the machine and get some hours up, then you will be better equipped to seek assistance and have a better understanding of questions you would like answered.

I really think White's Tdi users should organize a field day, share tips and techniques, tell tall tales, swap coils etc I don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly enjoy it. We could all benefit. Goldsearch Australia could take a tip out of the Minelab book on that one.

Good luck with your Tdi Pro Nick.

All the best,
Karelian

Awesome Karelian..mate thanks for the info..greatly appreciated. Your idea of a whites meet is brilliant!

I must say I never really did get my head around the TDI pro oz. I don't know if he is still around the Australian dealer for Razor Back coils had a good knowledge of the TDI.
Also a member on this forum did a mod on my TDI, ( for the better ) also had good knowledge on the machine. Sadly I have lost contact with both of these people.

They may chime in and be able to help out. Cheers

It can take some time to 'get your head around the Tdi Pro Oz'. Maybe you have started with an auto ground balance machine then manually ground balancing takes some time. The concept of high low and all conductivity requires some understanding. To further complicate matters you can set delay, 10us for prospecting, maybe 15 for the beach etc. Ground balance on or off? Depends on the ground. Frequency.. All these controls enable us to make choices to best suit the environment we hunt in. Beach settings differ from prospecting etc. There are some real advantages in high tech modern detectors with beach, relic, prospecting modes etc, with custom settings or programs etc...

The very thing that at first frustrates us, too many choices; will enable the more experienced user to enjoy a very flexible machine that can be fine tuned for different conditions. In many ways the Tdi Pro is old school, manual settings for everything, probably why I like it so much. For the very same reasons others may not enjoy this detector. We live in the digital age and there are many very capable modern alternatives..

When you have clocked up the hours and experience, know the machines character then if you don't like it don't hesitate to move on. We need to enjoy what we are doing, the Tdi Pro like all machines may be right or wrong for many reasons. If you are happy with your machine and confident in its use, that is the number one, regardless of the brand, the size of the coil etc. KNOW your detector so you can use it at its best and make sure you are having fun. After that the only real challenge is to get the coil over the target..

All the best,
Karelian

Thanks for that Karelian, I know I didn't spend a lot of time on the TDI to give myself a better chance to learn it. But I've still got it, my Explorer SE that I use on the beach is
getting a bit old and starting to play up a bit, If the TDI doesn't sell I'll give it a go on the beach and try to learn it a bit better. I'm happy with the ZED in the gold field.

Cheers for now Prooz.

I'm in the same situation I've owned my TDI Pro Oz since buying it new and sadly have not used it enough to fully understand its capabilities. I have decided to sell and go for a more simple machine to use. I hope I don't regret selling, but will need the funds to buy another detector.

Prooz said:
Thanks for that Karelian, I know I didn't spend a lot of time on the TDI to give myself a better chance to learn it. But I've still got it, my Explorer SE that I use on the beach is
getting a bit old and starting to play up a bit, If the TDI doesn't sell I'll give it a go on the beach and try to learn it a bit better. I'm happy with the ZED in the gold field.

Cheers for now Prooz.

The TDI's are great at finding metal of any type but unless they have had Luke's Mod then they struggle to see small Gold, where even an average VLF will whoop it's A$$ and Tiny Gold just won't be seen and the same applies to the TDI SL's, All the SL models from the last 2 years have had the Mods done at the factory/importers so they are good to Go.

Ridge Runner said:
Prooz said:

Cheers for now Prooz.

The TDI's are great at finding metal of any type but unless they have had Luke's Mod then they struggle to see small Gold, where even an average VLF will whoop it's A$$ and Tiny Gold just won't be seen and the same applies to the TDI SL's, All the SL models from the last 2 years have had the Mods done at the factory/importers so they are good to Go.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A 0.06 gram picker is easily detected with the TDI Pro both with F8 and a 9" DD coil, even the 12x4" Mono Nuggeteer coil can do it ..... GB at 8

Razorback round 14"DD is sweet on small gold at the beach where no GB is required.

TDI Pro as delivered, No mods done.

I picked up the TDI pro oz from the post office yesterday afternoon and work has me in Clermont today, Ive put in about three hours play time today in the GPA.
I am struggling with the manual ground balance.
Spend some hours on it in morning hopefully with better results.
Matt T

nesral said:
Ridge Runner said:
Prooz said:

Cheers for now Prooz.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A 0.06 gram picker is easily detected with the TDI Pro both with F8 and a 9" DD coil, even the 12x4" Mono Nuggeteer coil can do it ..... GB at 8

Razorback round 14"DD is sweet on small gold at the beach where no GB is required.

TDI Pro as delivered, No mods done.

Depending on how old your TDI Pro is will depend on whether the mods were done before you bought it, Using the factory coils it is blind as a Bat on anything under 0.17gm. Change the Coil and it does come alive,

I was promoting Whites machines long before most folks had seen one and as pro Whites as I was I had to admit that the TDI's Pro and SL do have their limitations, And after a major feud I have pulled back altogether, Having owned and tested them all my expectations are now with Fisher and the Home Team.

Ok so I put in another six hours on Saturday.
I put on the ground my test piece lead 0.25g, 0.5g, 0.75 and two larger.
The ground balanced out at 7.5 course and kept adjusting the fine up and down.
0.75 sung sweetly at about 100mm.
0.5 had to be right under the coil as in scraping the dirt and then if the ground balance is a bit high it could be missed as ground noise (The Sadie picked it clearer with maybe 20mm).
0.25 I couldnt pick from ground noises.
I think its safe to say mods havent been done to this machine, so now Im wondering where or how I can get this looked at?
Coils I have are NF Sadie this seemed to pick the test pieces clearer but is light on the front and so small.
Minor Johns 9x6 folded 8? This balanced the machine nicely and seemed to ground balance well but struggled to find the 0.5 test, this was easily the most comfortable to use the machine was balanced and quiet.
The Razor back 14x 9 was heavy on the front and picked up a lot of ground noise and hard to pin point, twice I dug holes for hot dirt.
More self training to be done but if anyone can tell me more about the mods it would be appreciated.
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
Ok so I put in another six hours on Saturday.
I put on the ground my test piece lead 0.25g, 0.5g, 0.75 and two larger.
The ground balanced out at 7.5 course and kept adjusting the fine up and down.
0.75 sung sweetly at about 100mm.
0.5 had to be right under the coil as in scraping the dirt and then if the ground balance is a bit high it could be missed as ground noise (The Sadie picked it clearer with maybe 20mm).
0.25 I couldnt pick from ground noises.
I think its safe to say mods havent been done to this machine, so now Im wondering where or how I can get this looked at?
Coils I have are NF Sadie this seemed to pick the test pieces clearer but is light on the front and so small.
Minor Johns 9x6 folded 8? This balanced the machine nicely and seemed to ground balance well but struggled to find the 0.5 test, this was easily the most comfortable to use the machine was balanced and quiet.
The Razor back 14x 9 was heavy on the front and picked up a lot of ground noise and hard to pin point, twice I dug holes for hot dirt.
More self training to be done but if anyone can tell me more about the mods it would be appreciated.
Matt T

That's what I was saying, when I tested both the Pro and the SL I used the Duel Field 12" and the 7.5" DF coils and they both have the same sensitivity and to hear the tiny ones you have to get the machine to run very smooth and listen for the slight waver in the threshold, The SL runs a little smoother, As I said neither one would see bits smaller than 0.17g and that was a struggle, Once you get the mods done both TDI's really wake up and can see very tiny nuggets indeed and will match the SDC when it comes to seeing Tiny Nuggets, So it is worth getting it Done.

To get the most depth out of the Pro on the beach you need to turn the GB off but with the SL you must keep the GB turned on because the SL actually looses depth if you turn the Ground Balance off, for some reason the SL behaves back to front compared to the Pro, which is a good Idea because you what the most depth when the GB is turned on because out in the gold fields you need to ground balance in that hot ground,

hope that helps,

J.

As has been said its a hard machine to get your head around both my wife and I had a TDI PRO OZ and was told all the BS by BRAD the BENDIGO dealer at the time,we tried to spend as much time on the ground with it but I got so frustrated I nearly wrapped mine around a tree a few time the manual ground balance was my problem spent hours trying to get the thing to run smooth asked as to why they didnt have a balance button and got all the BS about cant put a button on this machine because ML have them really got up my nose,after a year and hundreds of hours out in the field and nothing but crap to show for it we decided to sell them, and we both bought a Minelab 4500 best move we ever made and as for the cost when we got ours both the TDI and ML4500 were about the same so in my opinion the 4500 is the way to go if your looking for gold, if your a relic hunter then maybe the TDI will do I am not a relic hunter so its the 4500 for me . Back to you if you go in and see Dean at Gold Search Dunolly he is a great guy and will always spend time to help you out and normally at no charge Hope that helps.PP

I dont want to compare this machine with any other it is what it is!
I like the manual controls (except when I walk back into a bush and the branches turn the dials, grab me by the back of the neck and machine screams! Im standing there thinking aliens have got me!)
I do want to get the most out of this machine and I will ring its neck to do so!
So if someone can do modifications for me or I can get instructions (I wont do it, a bull in a china shop) Ill get the tech heads ( I love you guys) at work to look at it.
For the moment Ill keep practicing and self schooling with the machines, and Ill keep posting and questioning as all advice is taken on board and appreciated!
If Im looking for breaks in threshold then Ive a long way to go as the hot ground and threshold chatter or emi make this happen regularly, at the moment Im digging pin pointable repeatable tones.
Matt T

Hi Matt, when you fire up the TDI and about to set it up are you doing the frequency check for EMI?
If not then this can play havoc with noise and you'll struggle to tame it.

If you haven't done then try keeping your coil at 90 deg to the shaft, hold the coil up so the shaft is waist high and parallel to the ground and coil is facing horizontal, slowly turn 360 deg around and take note of the area that gives most noise, return to that position and with keeping the coil at waist high try turning the frequency knob until it gets the maximum reduction in noise (emi), then go ahead and ground balance and hopefully it will help give a more stable starting point for you, it's how I was taught when I had my TDI SL and it did seem to held tame emi on band days.

One thing to Note is that all TDI SL's made in the last 2 years should of had Luke's Mods already done at the factory, So with MJ coils and Coiltek coils the SL's should be very sensitive unlike mine or the early models.

Ridge Runner, this one was first purchased in 2015, so at least three years.

Prospector Pete, I will do this next time but Im gunna make shore no one can see me!

Nikos, I hope Im not hijacking your thread, I hope this is relevant to everyone wanting a bit of help with the TDI.

Maldon Gold Center, I would take up the training with you but the travel is a bit much.
Matt T

Latest posts