Chewton-Fryerstown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure its in the Castlemaine National Diggings Park...I'd post a google maps link, but I need to rack up 10 posts before I can post http links.

Keep at it mate, youve been given great info there so it all comes down to keeping the coil on the ground :) you are in the castlemaine NP yes
you got a good photo up on quartz hill of the sunset, i just camped there new years, and I think you saw me lol I do remember a car exactly like that down on the road below :D

The sunset photo actually was taken in Fryers Ranges State Forest.

We had what we always referred to as a slate mine, just south of Telecom Track.

It's been wrecked now, by people who have pillaged the spot, but when we first used to walk up there, there was still a rail and trolley car for moving stuff from what I guess is actually a sluice down to a slate heap about 7 metres away. The trolley (which must have weighed a tone and the tracks have all been nicked by someone, there were old newspapers and other items in the tin shed, which looks like it won't be standing for much longer! I have photos of me as a kid, playing on what must have been a wheel used for turning items over in a washer.

The heap only appears to have slate, no real ironstone or quartz, and there is only nearby shaft about 25 metres away. No other real workings nearby.

1488944958_img_20170302_194834.jpg

1488945006_img_20170302_194922_1.jpg

I found a small (0.2g) bit of gold up off vaughan-chewton road last week with the 2300, went back today with the 7000 to the same spot but didn't find zip, went from sunrise to around 2pm and then packed it in because it was just too hot.

cazalla said:
I found a small (0.2g) bit of gold up off vaughan-chewton road last week with the 2300, went back today with the 7000 to the same spot but didn't find zip, went from sunrise to around 2pm and then packed it in because it was just too hot.

Yes, I've used the 2-4pm time to go and try and cool down. Similarly (except not finding gold) I was trying out a spot on the western side of Vaughn-Chewton Rd and spent the first half of the day detecting, until my water ran low and I was feeling a little heat stressed. I can't imagine how they managed back in the 1850-60s working in those conditions.

Do you mind if I ask what size coils you are using in those areas? I've been using a 10x5 elliptical and I am weighing up if either a large 15" coil or the smaller 6" coil are going to assist me at all. I kind of feel that my current coil is probably a good compromise between the two.

I think the key to the area is to get onto some private land .................. the tally rises somewhat :Y: The problem being many land owners in the area have had their property abused so much over past years you will find it hard to gain access at times :(

Good to hear people are still getting gold.

I'm heading up there Mon-Wed, hoping to break my cherry.

After about a year of detecting I finally found gold today. I sold my XT705 about two months ago and got an SDC2300. I have now dug up some much buckshot or whatever those peppercorn sized balls are, I could start my own armoury.

I was just about to give the game away after detecting all over the Fryerstown and surrounding areas when I dug this up in some gravel wash.

1510631832_img_20171114_143521_hdr.jpg

1510631833_img_20171114_144245_hdr.jpg

I can scarcely believe it. Everywhere I go I see dig holes and my spirits sink a bit. So this comes a massive relief and is a little bit of reward for a hell of a lot of effort. I thought I'd come across smaller hold than this, but have found nothing so far. If you have any suggestions on possible locations for very small gold, I'd love to know. I'd love to meet up if you are local to the area as I try to get up as often as I can.

I recently sold the Lancer and am now getting about in a Kia Sportage. Say g'day I'd you see me by the side of the road!

Well done and congrats NorthPort, 1.7g is a great way to open your account and hopefully the first of many for you.
I finally nailed my first @ .15g last Saturday after 3 years of detecting various locations in the GT with 3 other detectors but finally got the right tools for the job last week and BINGO.

Never give up and now you have your first it's just a matter of putting in more research on areas and getting out to try them, if others can find the stuff regularly then so can we, we just gotta hone in the area's and techniques to be successful on a regular basis :Y:

Congratulations :Y: :party: NorthPort the 2300 is a little ripper and that piece is quite large compared to what I pick up. I'm not in your area but if your happy to travel (Heathcote /Rushworth /Whroo /Graytown) we can arrange a day out if your interested pm me.

Everywhere I go I see dig holes and my spirits sink a bit

NorthPort when you see those dig holes get in amongst them .................... you'll be surprised what those before you may have left behind ;) I usually thank them for leaving me a sign there is gold about :D

Thanks everyone and congratulations too Pete. 3 years to get gold is a testament to your resilience... And to get a small piece shows you are doing the right things too.

I went back to the same site this afternoon but no follow up success, but plenty of targets in the ground. So hopefully I get back up here before others go through it.

I love your optimism Bogger. I'll try to keep that mindset!

Latest posts