NSW State Forests Permit information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Hey guys.
When I got my permit from the forestry in batemans bay, it covered me for all state forest in that region. If I do the same with tumut and dubbo office, will it cover me for all the forest covered by those regions? I could call up myself but just can't seem to find time to call during the day. Thought it would be easier to ask ;)

Cheers
Greg

Dubbo office seems to be the only one up to date with issuing permits statewide, mine is a statewide permit. The lady there is extremely helpful, just give them a call.

Still $22. Got mine from Dubbo too. Very easy process. Yvonne Dodd was the lady I dealt with - rang once & completed via email.

Hey heatho or mbasko, you wouldn't happen to have a copy of that number by any chance? I didn't realise we could get state wide permits, seems like a good thing to have me thinks

You can also get one of these permits (State-wide) from Coffs Harbour. There is obvious confusion and inconsistency in the way the different offices grant these permits. Last time I looked the website says you still need one for each area, but some offices, as these posts suggest, sensibly give them out for the whole state.

mbasko said:
Still $22. Got mine from Dubbo too. Very easy process. Yvonne Dodd was the lady I dealt with - rang once & completed via email.
Wow this is fantastic news. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Hi All

I am moving back to NSW (Bathurst Area) this month, alot of my old fossiking areas are in State Forests, I will be applying for a 12 month State Forest fossiking permit. On the form it asks to list what state forests I propose to use?
Do I have to name each state forest that I will be going to or can I be more "General" as I may visit other state forests in the future after i research an area? What is the best wording to put in this part of the form as I may be exploring numerous state forests in this area (Gulgong, Bathurst, Sunny Corner, Hill End, Sofala, Oberon, Trunkey, Orange etc).
All help with the wording would be appreciated.

Daniel

We have just applied for NSW state wide fossicking permits.
State wide are no longer available you now need an individual permit for each region, costing $22 each!
State wide permits are being considered but at the moment not available.
I have been speaking with a very pleasant lady Tereene Hill from the Dubbo office, she is very helpful but the situation is out of her control.
This situation seems ridiculous when you can get a fishing licence for NSW that covers the whole state and costs $85 for three years.
Donna
:(

State wide permits will become available again come January 2014 when the new system is up and running. Word is that there was an internal misunderstanding about the new permit and they weren't supposed to be issuing them until the new self service system is ready. Check out https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=37999#p37999

Sparra, the NSW Forestry Corporation issues the permits and they're are only required if looking to fossick in a NSW State Forest.

Thanks Nugget,
Hopefully that will happen, when I spoke with Terrene she said it was not yet decided about state wide permits. In the meantime we hope to start fossicking in a state forest so we needed something to cover us and have purchased one.
Would not want ranger smith chasing us around the forest :p

If I can add a little.
From chats with Tereene and Nugget it seems we are part if the reason for the rethinking and of permits and how they are processed.
Apparently there have been so many applications recently. Many from members of this forum.
That the Forestry offices have been a bit overwhelmed.
This may be part of the reason for updating to an online application form.
Hopefully it will all be sorted and be a much simpler process.

I rang Bathurst and then Tumut office late last week to see if I could get a statewide permit. They said that the previous system of some offices issuing statewide and others for each region was a mistake and that now it was by region. Mine expires on 31 December. Looks like the message is still confused about what will happen when but they were both on the same page saying that at the moment I needed to apply to each region for a permit.
I'll hold off a bit before buying now anyway and see what develops over the next couple of weeks.

Latest posts