QED users - how are you faring?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rush said:
mbasko said:
Still not 100% on the AGB as even though it got close I felt it still needed manual fine tuning & for the most part manually adjusted during the day.

At times I find it difficult to pick on some ground whether the audio is a rising or a falling sound when manually adjusting the GB.

So the AGB is more of an aid on which way to adjust to fine tune the GB if the GB numbers on the screen are either rising or falling as the coil is lowered towards the ground.

Have been to use to just pressing the GB button on my GPX.
Yeah take note of the ground balance number before doing AGB then after. It does make it a bit easier initially then manually fine tune as needed.

diggin4gold said:
From being frustrated to getting to work the QED and finding gold, what do you say was the difference in achieving your good day with the QED?
The big difference was probably the ground was more consistent - not so variable although still a few hot spots. Like Rush getting used to the QED balance vs using the Minelab green button is taking some getting used to.
Leaving the bias neutral & increasing the volume seemed to make a difference too.
Still need to get back to where I've had problems to retry but hopefully no more frustrating days. The frustration was from having it run well to it becoming erratic - I knew it could run well at times & had potential but until yesterday couldn't maintain that throughout the day. All down to settings I think & readjusting myself to a different platform but still more use needed before I get too excited yet.

Here's the gold from yesterday:
1504995304_15049540361580.jpg

mbasko said:
diggin4gold said:
From being frustrated to getting to work the QED and finding gold, what do you say was the difference in achieving your good day with the QED?
The big difference was probably the ground was more consistent - not so variable although still a few hot spots. Like Rush getting used to the QED balance vs using the Minelab green button is taking some getting used to.
Leaving the bias neutral & increasing the volume seemed to make a difference too.
Still need to get back to where I've had problems to retry but hopefully no more frustrating days. The frustration was from having it run well to it becoming erratic - I knew it could run well at times & had potential but until yesterday couldn't maintain that throughout the day. All down to settings I think & readjusting myself to a different platform but still more use needed before I get too excited yet.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1504995304_15049540361580.jpg

Nice work there mate.... great nuggets

If you could do it all over again would you get the QED?

The AGB will never get spot on in very high mineral ground, it will get close, but never spot on and it never will in my opinion, well not in its current configuration. But in mild to medium/high mineral ground it should go very very close and will come in good use.

mbasko, nice nuggets, looks like you are starting to get use to the machine, well done. Its great not having that constant noise in your ear when finding gold isn't it? :)

From my experience so far I agree with Roscoe that the standard wound coils suit this machine in high mineral variable ground.

My standard wound coils range from an 8 up to a 25 with the only non-standard wound coil a NF 12 Evo.

A couple of questions I have are in regards to the AGB and menu item No.8 Pitch.

So has the inclusion of the AGB system changed the GB number readings from the previous GB readings before the AGB was added?

And has the change in the Pitch, from the previous firmware which allowed inversions of the signal response, produced any improvement in the signal response?

Thanks in advance.

Cando said:
Nice work there mate.... great nuggets
If you could do it all over again would you get the QED?
Thanks
Only time will tell Cando? At this stage I'd say yes but who knows what the next few weeks/months or even year will bring. Like I said I'm not getting too excited yet but yesterday certainly gives me some more confidence in the QED.

Gee whiz great minds think alike as both of the above posts were posted at the exact same time.

Roscoe said:
mbasko, nice nuggets, looks like you are starting to get use to the machine, well done. Its great not having that constant noise in your ear when finding gold isn't it?
This was probably one of the things I initially struggled with Roscoe. That constant noise was like my security blanket :lol: It took some getting used to for me & even yesterday it felt a bit "funny" at times but I did start picking the very subtle threshold changes on the QED which has also made a difference.

mbasko said:
diggin4gold said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1504995304_15049540361580.jpg

First class results mate, you have gotta be happy with that, That tune up has worked wonders.

good luck and keep going.

J.

RUSH, when the pitch of signal is changed now it does not invert signal. I have the updated version with the new facer and buttons. I think pitch change would be good to add it back in the QED some how in the future though, it's a very handy feature to have. :)

Rush said:
A couple of questions I have are in regards to the AGB and menu item No.8 Pitch.

So has the inclusion of the AGB system changed the GB number readings from the previous GB readings before the AGB was added?
In my limited experience from non AGB to having AGB I don't believe the numbers or the actual ground balancing has changed. The biggest advantage of AGB is being able to quickly get close to the correct ground balance number in different areas then manually fine tune it from there yourself (if required). If you're comfortable with manually balancing I don't think there's a real need to get the AGB upgrade. Some will like it & use it - others won't. Good to have the option available though. :Y:
Rush said:
And has the change in the Pitch, from the previous firmware which allowed inversions of the signal response, produced any improvement in the signal response?
I never tried the inverted pitch on the previous version as it reversed other settings & I was having enough trouble + never been a fan of inverted signals myself. I'm running at around the same pitch & due to other factors in my initial set up I can't really say there has been any signal response improvement.

Eski said:
Sorry guys will post pics when i can see the photos on my phone....

Nice pics Eski.

I see you have set the control box to one side to allow easier access to the control buttons using your thumb with the s-bend type hand grip.
I have now had my control box updated with the larger push buttons in a line across the lower half of the front panel below the display screen including the new AGB button. Also the rear panel of the box with the power socket now there instead of the front panel as before.
Yet to give my QED with the software updates a run out on the goldfield so looking forward to that.

Well I bit the bullet and bought a qed from Peter at detech.. it arrived in the post with a damage controller ( heavy handed postal workers). Contacted peter and to my suprise he had a new one in the post the same day, express post to me at his cost used. Pretty good service in my eyes.. big thanks to Peter...
Had a quick play with it at Gympie prospecting area on the weekend mostly to get a feel of the set up before heading out to Warwick in a couple of weeks.. with book in hand it took me about 15 minutes to get it to run nice and quiet ..power lines were interference to start out. Adjusting the snr (I think it's called) down 91and got rid of the interference.. I just followed the setup procedure in the manual in the order it's written.. it was running nice and quiet and I managed to find two .22 size bullets and some Rusty barbed wire.. I was happy with that as I really wasn't expecting to find much but junk... have a chat to a coupler of other people having a crack.. all in all a very pleasing day.

There is some Awesome QED Gold being posted over on D/P,

The QED is really proving to be the real deal, and from a machine that seems quite understated it is just plodding along doing it's thing and taking it all in it's stride, Now that Is Impressive.

J.

Latest posts