NT Northern Territory information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have just been through the Territory on holidays and I expected to stop at Pine creek for a swing but was told by those at the Info Centre that Pine Creek was now closed to prospecting and fossicking. For that reason we didn't stop. [I expected that the lady who gave me the info would have known what she was on about. I too found that no-one really wanted to talk about fossicking/prospecting up there unless you went to their designated areas]

As you travel around this great country you really do find out about those once great gold prospects that have been brutalized and defaced. [I'll have more to say about somewhere in Qld when I can get my thoughts together]

Gday fellow Territorians, Im Dave, based in Karama, been "gunna" get into looking for gold for 15 years, but made a start recently.
Just bought a whites MXT and will be doing a few trips around the hayes creek area as soon as it gets here.
If anyone is keen to come along, or just have a yarn, feel fee to pm me.
Cheers dave.

Just read up on rules and regs in the NT.
You can, t take more than 100gms of gold! Any more and its considered comercial. If you find a ngget over 100gms, you can keep it, but must notify the minister with the location, within 28 days....you can sell and trda your finds, up to a certain value.
Can you keep more and sell in other states?

Hey Dave Shaun from Palmerston here. Will be getting a detctor soon so would be cool to catch up and get some practice with ya mate

No worries shaun, leave us a message here, and we, ll go for a drive mate.

Its a tough place to dig in because of the heat !! We had a bit of time around old Halls Creek and dug many deep holes for Fuggets. Left a fair bit of sweat up there that's for sure LOL
We were however there for other reasons and were ill prepared and not in the know so to speak.
Have read a few stories of success to degrees up there from members here and others on You tube.
We did a bit on the leases of the fellow that ran the old halls creek caravan park. He pointed us in the areas of the original rush where we were finding the fuggets down deep in the creek beds. It was old bridle rings and bullet cartridges of bygone day gauges.
Great place though and I will get back there one day.
GT :)

Hi all,
Looking at going to the NT next month, can anyone tell me the closest gold and gemstone areas to Darwin please that you can go to. Would like to fossick for both if possible. Not asking for a X marks the spot just a general idea of where to go. Also can anyone recommend any books or maps that may help. Any advice on taking a detector on flight to NT.

Anyone done any fossicking out at Altunga fossicking area? Altunga is out the eastern Macdonnell ranges from Alice Springs. I have been to Altunga on many occasions just never done any fossicking there just nosed around the old buildings etc.

If you have been fossicking there I would appreciate knowing if you found anything.

G'day, I'm only new to prospecting. Live in Darwin and head out with the family when we can.
Have a few small finds. The best so far is an old Chinese coin found in a dry creek bed in Pine Creek NT.
Does anyone have any tips for beginners for gold hunting? Any suggestions for areas to try? We use an Xterra-705.
Cheers

First up, welcome to PA.
If serious about the chasing the gold start saving for more suitable detector.
I too started with an Xterra but realised its shortcomings very early on, found heaps of bullets and other metal junk in the goldfields.
Also found heaps of coins and other stuff at the beaches, and it's a good detector to help you learn .... other have found gold but in reality it's few and far between.
Well done on the chinese coin, they're always a great find and stick to getting out there and looking, sorry can't help with NT locations.
Cheers Tom

Hamo, get a few quick posts up, i think you need 10 before you can PM me.
When you can, send me a private message and Ill help out where I can.
In the mean time, check out this link, and head into the dept of mines and energy at the mall in town, its near the entrance of the mall, between the sushi joint and the chinese joint.

https://fossicking.nt.gov.au/useful-information/useful-resources

Thanks for that Tom,
Yeah i suspected the Xterra may fall short but for now it gets the kids outside and gives me a chance to wander round the bush.
Do you have a better unit that you would recommend? Once i've learnt a bit a may look at upgrading.
I was pretty pleased with the Chinese coin. That was on our first outing.
Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers Lloyd

G'day Davent,
Thanks for the link mate. I'll check it out now.
Awesome!! Thanks for that. I'll get posting and flick you a PM once i'm able.
Much appreciated mate.

Cheers Lloyd

hamo3088 said:
Thanks for that Tom,
Do you have a better unit that you would recommend? Once i've learnt a bit a may look at upgrading.
I was pretty pleased with the Chinese coin.
Cheers Lloyd

Good to see some local help coming your way ...
A nice chinese coin is always a welcome find, there are many who have still to ping one so you've done well.
In regard to detectors ... MInelab seem to be the go, the SDC will find gold for me almost every time I go out, but usually small.
My largest was found with a GPX 4800 (21gms) and most will recommend a 4500 or 5000, look around for a 'reputable' 2nd hand one may be the go. There are already heaps of posts on what different people prefer, ease of use, small gold SDC hands down. Larger gold and steep learning curve a GPX or if money is no object a GPZ.
Regardless keep getting out there with the nippers and keep learning as you go.
Cheers T.

G'day Jaros,
Didn't take long at all.
Thanks for the welcome message. I'm loving the forum.

Tom,
Thanks for the tips on those Minelab models. I might do some shopping around in the new year.
Hoping to get out for a few more hunts over the next few weeks before our wet season limits us.
I'll post up a few pics of a few our our rock finds. My eldest daughter is made about geology. Got a few nice small rocks in the collection.

Cheers Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, This may be of interest to you, Lands Dept. are conducting a prospecting / fossicking workshop on Tuesday, 26th Sept. 1.30pm - 4.30pm.
On the 3rd floor conference room in the building, Davent mentioned in his post, use the link for contact details.
Hope this helps,cheers.

Latest posts