Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willo1 i am watching with interest as i to just got the same machine ,so i will be taking it all in. Cant really offer any advice as im still just using factory presets basically.Good luck .

Willo & Lordo,...the standard settings are a good start for beginners to the GPX range, especially in milder soil types typically found on the east coast (well, much more east than the G.T. that is...there will be exceptions of course)....

If you need some help with settings in warmer ground, i am able to guide you somewhat, via PM if you prefer...or here, whichever you like.
I'm also sure that some welcome advice will come from Nenad also, as he has had broader experience than I have with the 4K...as have others, i'm certain, but i still currently use mine, when i get the chance to get out that is, and continue to be surprised by my finds....and where they were found.

[edit] P.S. .....pssst, if you got a manual with it, read it, think about what you read for a few days while trying out the Factory Preset settings, then read it again just to confirm your on the right track. I read mine every so often and pick up things earlier regarded as 'not being useful' in my circumstances, so brushed past them. Once your familiar with it, i recommend using various settings even on tried and true ground/settings...

Good luck with your journey.... :D :Y:

Gypsy

Thanks for the offer Gypsy. I may need it...lol.
I am still waiting for the nugget finder coil to arrive so I am just playing around with the GP extreme coil it had on it when I brought it. Not that I have been able to get out in the bush with it yet.

Hi lordo.1,

I have been able to get my hands on a DVD called The outback prospector The GPX factor which is all about the GPX4000. He talks about settings and how the different settings work. Very informative DVD and well worth the watch if you can get it. It is made by a fellow named Jonathan Porter.

Jason.

have read hundreds of posts great reading.My brotherinlaw has lent me gpx4000 which as you all will know is over 10 yrs old had some mods done back then can this machine be upgraded to 4500 or maybe 5000 thanks Muzza Rutherglen

Short answer,
No and No. :)
About the best thing you can do with a 4000 is a good quality coil
and a good booster.
They are still a capable machine but always remember, Practice makes
perfect then you have to walk over it to find it.
Good Luck.

Thanks Moderator will call in at Bendigo and find out a suitable coil too help me along the learning path next week Thanks Muzza

Hi mate, that 14 NF Advantage is a wicked coil and if theres nothing wrong with it Id be more inclined to learn with it.
Dont fall into the trap of buying a shirt load of coils that you dont really need.

On my 4500 and again on my 5000 the 14 was my favourite coil and I only updated it when the evos came along.

That is all you will need.
As above.
Learn what the machine is telling you.
Just with the two coils you have will be enough to get
you going.
Put it this way,
If you walk over it, You will find it. :Y: :Y:

What is the smallest size gold you would expect to find with a GPX 4000 with a mono 11" coil and if you where to fit a smaller coil what size with say a 8" or 9" size
Thanks for any help
Roy

Well I'm running a 5000, not sure if there is much difference. I have used a Sadie coil in the past finds small gold but lots of hot rocks, these days I won't use anything smaller than an 11". Here's what I did in a day a couple weeks back with the 11" on the 5000. 28 nuggets for 3 grams, scales had trouble with the smallest ones but they were 0.04.
1528096176_image.jpg

Westozadventures said:
Well I'm running a 5000, not sure if there is much difference. I have used a Sadie coil in the past finds small gold but lots of hot rocks, these days I won't use anything smaller than an 11". Here's what I did in a day a couple weeks back with the 11" on the 5000. 28 nuggets for 3 grams, scales had trouble with the smallest ones but they were 0.04.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11261/1528096176_image.jpg

Thanks for the reply Westoz I know uou settings would not work for me but what did you use
Roy

Latest posts