Any New Opalfields in Lightning Ridge?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to find a new claim to register but it is really hard to get info from LRMA or mining department!Where is the latest areas of mining and is it worth to get a claim there since you think most miners have picked the "golden" cliams!Objects = Glengarry,Grawin,Cocooran,Near town,Just outside town?

Or is it any old areas worth having a look at?I know some mines could be full of water,so it's dangerous but virgin ground is more interesting ofcourseand I am prepared to gamble a bit for luck:)Greatful for real and honest info:))

Cheers!

Hello Digging,

Just a little about you first, have you had any experience in mining or experience in precious stones?

Jukebox

Thanks Grubstake!Yes Jukebox I have experience,so now a little about yourself:))!Are you mining in Lightning Ridge?Every time I go there it's hysch hysch about new fields!Is it no new leases worth having a look at?I just want to drill a hole and gamble,but it must be sandstone and a good level with potch and colour:))Asking for to much?To find a 9 inch driller for some fun prospecting seems impossible!Have Lightning ridge really just turned out to be a place for tourists?are you booth mining Opals or other gems?Any new interesting areas in Australia?Cober Peedy just a tourist town as well?Alot of miners have turned to metaldetecting for gold!Only way to go,I hope not.....

Cheers and Happy hunting!!

Gday digging hard, if I had the opportunity like you do, I'd seek into all the info I couod get and hang around the place to get to know the locals. I know of a couple of blokes up there with claims working the ground currently, so it is possible.

Contacting the mines department will usually learn you towards the right direction.

Ill one day have a go at it up there when I can

G'day AtomRat,thanks for the advice!I will have a chat with the locals,information center,the mining department and so on!
Not so much the pubs since it is to much #"""//&/%%"##/&78............................GREAT NIGHT BUT ????? INFO....

All the best,I hope you find a million....Cheers

Gday Digging,

The word at the ridge at the moment is that down near sheepyards someone pulled out a total monster. Seam opal that way unlike the ridge - I find there seems to be more activity that way as opposed to Grawin.

The small amount of discussions I have had with some of the locals were that huge black potch was being pulled out the size of small tables.

At the end of the day its totally based on luck - the university of Sydney Published a paper on where they believe the concentrations of precious opal are in QLD and NSW - that might be worth a look.

Jukey.

Gday Jukebox,

wooow big as tables,well even if no precious opals in it I am sure they can make none precious opals and put in rings and pendants!Or for dublets!It seems alot better to find a claim with seem!Atleast you can see what's in front of you and places like the ridge,cocooran its easy to miss the nobbies!I went to Sheep Yard last year and one guy,not want to mention his name hear for security!Pulled out big bucks!You think after all these years since the last rush it is virgin ground left with good sandstone and potch and colour!In that case maybe worth a look one day!What area you believe has a good chance?That area between Sheep Yard and Glengarry?I am sure some guys have missed a fortune in some of the old diggings as well!Yeah total luck!Not wrong there!in QLD,are you thinking about Quilpie or any area?Thanks for info!

Happy Hunting - Hard Digging

Digging Hard said:
wooow big as tables,well even if no precious opals in it I am sure they can make none precious opals and put in rings and pendants!Or for dublets!

In Coober Pedy they are selling heaps of potch to India. They are buying lots of it to make cheap jewelry etc... Beads, necklaces.

As for Lightning Ridge I know a bloke who has been down there for years, he said a couple weeks ago it's getting harder to find decent Opal unless you have lots money to be able to fund big digs and do heaps of test holes etc. Mullock heaps on top side and down below have all been noodled.

Thanks Martin,yeah it seems that way!To get 9 inch holes seems hard when you cant find a 9 inch drilling to hire!To get a lease with some m8s and drill several holes is one way I would like to do it but without any rigs out there,well,how to find new opal fields!?Only big 3 foot rigs and I assume they do it for them selves!If someone know a 9 inch driller and would like to team up on a lease,let me know!2-3 blokes and we split the claims in a lottery if we get potch and colour:))

Cheers - Digging Hard

Gday guys and possibly a few women!I am camping in the bush at my claim and my car broke down,so I had to start my genny to charge the mobile(Only approx 20 min left on the battery) to call MYNRMA for a membership because my NRMA comprehensive insurance(told them I will only drive in the outback but government laws:))

OK.... for 1 year dont cover road assistance!730 Bucks for what!?Only thing I can hit out in the bush is a kangaroo,and sure I am a lover of any wildlife,dont get me wrong,but this was the only insurance I could get because my reg was overdue!Plus roadworthy and a few minor problems to fix,just 1400 for that plus this!I am greatful it is all working out!Now I want to find some gems!

Yes a few powerchargers saved my ass too:))Can you believe how funny,or frustrating to sit in the middle of nowhere to get a membership on Viber?Or skype,that is breaking up all the time!Can you please call again,loool I am in the outback!I need to get my car fixed!I know,I choosed this lifestyle!A big adventure and I am loving it,even if things fakk up....maybe it turn to the better one day!

OK,I paid 297 online for the membership and it is truly unreal such helpful people you can find out here:))The guys from road assistance are awesome in the ridge!They found my location after several hours search at the field,even if they had to ask a guy on the field to give them a hike to find it!Thanks to that guy too:))

I got 1 free tow in this membership + 1 year xtra...1 free tow every year,then I have to pray to the gods it wont be any more breakdowns in the nearest future:))Life is full of crazy happenings and may the gods be with us all in this business!Now I have a Jim Beam(dont drink alooot,but now it is a perfect moment:))Plus a shower in town.Awesome reward,tell you that!Washed some clothes too!Not even the flies wanted to keep me in company,loool kidding.they will always try to be my buddy....)=)&&%&%..I hope the car is working tomo,then I am ready for more digging in the hole!Cheers and good luck...ALL..

1445930743_20151013_191232.jpg

I have heard from a mate at Garwin there is/will be some new areas opened..... There is more dirt on top of the ground than under it... My Mate had a Massive Collapse due to the weight of old mullock heaps above him... He now has a big open-cut Mine .. :lol:

LW....

Thanks for a quick response!Well it sounds dangerous to dig below those mullockheaps!Make sure to prop it all the way!Or Opencut :Y: !Is it any 9 inch drillers around if a simple bloke like myself would like to do some prospecting in these newer areas?

Happy Hunting //