Nugget Finder 15 inch NF EVO coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mates finds with the 15 spoke.

1470491684_20160806_232813-1-1024x755.jpg

Nenad what machine is your mates machine? I'm having trouble getting 4500 to run smooth with 15 spoke evo.

It was a 4500. Settings from memory were Rx Gain 9, Stabilizer 9, Tracking, Normal Audio.

Gday nam I used the same coil on my 4500 and tried everything to get it to shut up but had no luck yet I used the 17x13 evo and I ran smooth I was detecting GT but the ground was very wet and ground noise almost drove me nuts

Been testing the 12" Evo for past week, took it to a few old patches I killed with different coils. I set my front end to General, Enhanced, Fixed and Mono, Back end...Gain at 13, Stab at 8 and in Audio Quite, Very Slow Motion....I have found this setting keeps my threshold running smooth and deep. In the patches I picked up 7 more nuggets..if you want to call them nuggets..lol The range in weight ...from .13 grams to 1. 3 grams. 4 of the 7 were around .22 grams. All these piece were found pretty deep. One small piece .19 gram piece was down 7-9 inches on a sloped bank. When I ran it in normal instead of enhanced the threshold became way to noise, with ground noise. There is no way I would hear a target under those conditions. Don't be afraid running it in Enhanced and Audio quite...go slow and low and you will be surprised how deep it real goes. I run my 12" Evo on an older model 4500.

shiftyrick said:
Gday nam I used the same coil on my 4500 and tried everything to get it to shut up but had no luck yet I used the 17x13 evo and I ran smooth I was detecting GT but the ground was very wet and ground noise almost drove me nuts

That is quite strange, as there isn't much between the two coils. Is the 17x13 evo you used solid or spoked?

1477900737_image.jpg
First bit with the 15 inch Evo. Bit surprised with its sensitivity, was only just under the surface but clear target. Didn't think they would pick up that small. Thought there was another in the hole but I couldn't tell for sure so went over with sdc and got another smaller one. Also boot scraped another sound about a meter away but couldn't tell for sure so sdc again and sure enough another tiny one. Coil definitely found the targets but it was me who couldn't .

Nice work Bjay.
With the new coils I think they do a better job at detecting a targets halo, which once disturbed will disappear, making it very hard to recover a target.

On my 5000, I have a very aggressive mode in Custom position and use this mode for a few different things:

1. To flick into when doing an Auto Tune
2. To check a suspected target, usually in rocky terrain where you can't easily scrape a few inches of soil off
3. To help in pin-pointing those tiddlers that don't want to be found.

Ill second that, good idea Nenad.
I am positive i have lost small gold in GT when i dug them out and cant pinpoint. 4500 and evo FYI.

I'll third that . Never even crossed my mind . I don't get out enough to use a custom setting for a specific area but I would assume that using an aggressive setting for pinpointing etc would be a high gain and stabilizer setting ? Plus Maybee higher target volume?

TUNING/PIN-POINTING CUSTOM MODE:

Motion - Medium
Rx Gain - 16 (5000) 11 (4500)
Stabilizer - 13
Audio - Boost
Tone - Higher than what you normally use, 55 for me
Signal - 19
Target Volume - crank it, but not uncomfortably loud or you'll be deaf for 20 mins :D

Thanks heaps. Forgot about boost it really brings a target out if able to run it. Would be great for pinpointing I think but kind of totally forgot about it.

Im considering adding a 15 NF EVO to my detecting kit and I was wondering which one to get. The spoked version is a little lighted which makes swinging it for longer easier however is the solid easier to work since it would be less susceptible to snagging on sticks and ground litter. What are peoples experience with regards to spoked vs solid coils. Ive only ever used solid coils in the past so I was looking for some feedback from users that have experience with both. I have read on a post that the spoked coil appears to be a little quieter so I was thinking of going that way and fitting a solid skid plate kind of getting the best of both in one.

AUtitch

Sorry haven't used both but with the spoked it does pick up the odd stick but only becomes a problem for me later in the day when I'm not so tolerant .not sure why a spoked coil would be quieter as I'm sure there built the same way internally.either way I'm sure you'll be happy with a 15 inch evo.

G'day everyone so recently i bought a NF EVO coil 15 inch..

I'll be using it for patch hunting but i have no idea how good they are at detecting sub gram nuggets either.

I know theres no perfect all rounder coil.. but i'd be interested in seeing what the test results are on what this coil can pick up..

anyone have any information on it?

The best way to do it is take a few small targets out to where you intent to detect and bury them at different depths until you just can't pick up a signal anymore, and there's your best and most accurate results.

Seriously, it's no use going by someone elses results unless that person had the same detector, same settings on the same day with the same conditions (EMI etc) because there are so many variables when it comes to the above mentioned.

For what it's worth, my smallest piece of gold with the 15 evo is .28g at 3" in hot reefy ground, but have also hit the tiniest shards of steel at 1", if EMI or other factors changed on a different day, I may or may not hit the tiny shards of steel.

Best way of testing is to do it on the day when you get to your location and stick a tiny lead shot in the ground at 2" and try setting up on that target, move it shallower or deeper until you can just hear it.
That is if you are chasing small shallow gold, if searching for bigger deeper gold then do the same with a bigger bit of flatish lead, just bury it deeper.

Edit: if I'm using my 15" evo it's setup to search for bigger deeper targets, not sensitivity on tiny shallow targets, I have much better smaller coils for that :Y:

15 Evo will get sub grammers no problem at all.

This vid shows the response on a half grammer https://youtu.be/WFFqu95pA9o

This vid shows the response on several sub grammers https://youtu.be/LyVj7lCXV7A

These were the first nuggets I found while using the 15" Evo, on a patch which has since gone on to produce over 60 bits.

1613259669_15_evo_finds.jpg

On a another small patch found with a 12" Evo strapped to the 5000, I first went over it as best I could, then did a second pass with the 14x9" Evo and got some smaller bits. Third pass I did with the 15" Evo and immediately noticed how much smoother it was working. The faintest break in the threshold and eventually this little 0.3 grammer came up.

1613259984_15_evo_point_3.jpg

So definitely capable on sub gram gold.

I found quite a bit of sub gram gold with the 15" evo, however, when patch hunting, I swing much faster than I would if working a patch, so no doubt, would miss a few very small targets when swinging the coil at a fast pace.

Latest posts