Old gold mine near me i want to try out, What do you think?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 15 minutes from where i live "Diamond Creek" there's a heap of old gold mines and diggings from the back in the 1800's. Panton Hill, Smiths Gully, St andrews, wasnt sure if anyone here knows where these are. I went to a Nature park today in Smiths Gully along the walk its documented that the creek beside the track was heavily alluvial mined and a lot of gold was once there.
Im really keen to take my sdc2300 there and have a swing near the creek, on the creek edges and just around the area maybe pick up something they missed. Do you think this is worth my time or is all the gold gone like the signed pictures along the walk said?
there's plenty of heaped mounds and diggings on the side of the hill maybe 30 meters from the creek.
1505036836_4.jpg

1505036893_1.jpg

1505036913_2.jpg
1505036935_5.jpg
1505036975_6.jpg
1505037001_7.jpg
1505037022_8.jpg
1505037053_9.jpg
1505037079_11.jpg
1505037112_10.jpg
1505037137_12.jpg
1505037160_13.jpg

My view is
you will never know until you give it a go
NO ONE gets all the gold out of anywhere (JMO) ]:D
what have you got to loose except time and some shoe leather
that is of cause unless its a no go area (national park etc etc) then you loose a bit more ]:D

G'day bloke , hey I'm in Diamo to , been for a swing where you took the photos but I recon at the top of the old union mine in Diamo where they are excavating at the moment would be worth a close look .

Diamo gold said:
G'day bloke , hey I'm in Diamo to , been for a swing where you took the photos but I recon at the top of the old union mine in Diamo where they are excavating at the moment would be worth a close look .

Hey ! wow small world didn't think id come across someone who lives in diamo. I'm about 400m from the old mine your talking about, your not wrong could be worth a look since they have started disturbing it all. use to explore it a couple years ago before they started developing it. Did you find anything in smiths gully?

7.62marksman said:
My view is
that is of cause unless its a no go area (national park etc etc) then you loose a bit more ]:D

Definitely will give it a shot i was going to anyway. haha yeah i thought it was odd when i read " There is no gold left in the creek now" probably just dont want people digging holes and prospecting around there.

yes i mean the gold had to come from somewhere to start with
and i am sure there have been a few floods been through since the old days so i am sure that would have replenished some of it

VicGoldHunter said:
Diamo gold said:

Hey ! wow small world didn't think id come across someone who lives in diamo. I'm about 400m from the old mine your talking about, your not wrong could be worth a look since they have started disturbing it all. use to explore it a couple years ago before they started developing it. Did you find anything in smiths gully?
Small world indeed , when I went up to smiths gully a few years back I took a friends sd 2200 with me and had a swing around the area about 400 meters up the track on the left over the creek big area that was surfaced didn't spend to much time there found a heap of junk but I recon if you spent a bit of time there you would do ok ! I have been meaning to give it another go but I'm more interested in what could be on offer at our door step as they have taken that much soil away that you would think any targets you hit would not be junk ! I might pm you as your over ten posts now and maybe we could check it out !

VicGoldHunter said:
7.62marksman said:
My view is

Definitely will give it a shot i was going to anyway. haha yeah i thought it was odd when i read " There is no gold left in the creek now" probably just dont want people digging holes and prospecting around there.

Of the limited public land in that area, ( Christmas Hills, Panton Hill St Andrews Goldfields. ) Much is under some kind of Nature Reserve usually linear strips along the gullies and there is limited if at all prospecting Access, best to check with Parks Victoria. A number of the old Mine sites are Heritage Listed which excludes prospecting. Been close to Melbourne you have to be VERY LUCKY to detect gold there, likely to be high trash areas as a lot of household garbage was dumped in that area in the 1960s & 1970s including dumped stolen cars, be plenty of lead shot to area was a notorious bikie hang out. :eek:

Diamo wrote.
I have been meaning to give it another go but I'm more interested in what could be on offer at our door step as they have taken that much soil away that you would think any targets you hit would not be junk !
I thought the same thing about an area near my home mate but all I found was the "chits" (I think that's what they are called) bits of steel shed off the dozer tracks.
They gave me the chits. :N:

Rob.

Latest posts