how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nuggetino said:
Any reason most engines these days have an interference design? More power, fuel efficiency? I went for a subaru 2.2 engine conversion in my van as they have a non-interference design. Always made me wonder why all engines aren't built with this in mind. Heard so many horror stories of timing belts breaking and destroying engines.

better power is derived from close tolerances and timing between valve opening and durations in relation to piston position.

an engine with big tolerances between piston crown and valves wouldnt get the high compression ratio that creates horsepower and combustion efficiency.

you have to have it.

and timing belts are used because they are cheaper to manufacture than chain drive

you might be surprised at the lengths manufacturers go to just to save 0.005 cents on each component

Dont the cruisers suffer from a weak front diff as well? or was that in the 100 series...

stevo said:
Dont the cruisers suffer from a weak front diff as well? or was that in the 100 series...

Yeah the 80series as well as the 100series, late model 75series and early 79series but that is only if you give them a hard time in reverse. Something to do with the way gear sets were machined or hardfaced. I haven't heard of to many issues because of this except for the odd nut behind the wheel. Just don't dump the clutch in reverse and all will be fine.

I am currently looking for my next 4x4, 2007 to 2010, i want an extra cab for convenience, i think its down to ford ranger or hilux or poss navara, anyone heard anything on either of these, good bad or ugly.

always good to get other peoples feedback.

Ive read a lot of praise for the 4x4 Nissan Navara, Isuzu Dmax is worth a look as well.

Blind_Freddie said:
stevo said:

Yeah the 80series as well as the 100series, late model 75series and early 79series but that is only if you give them a hard time in reverse. Something to do with the way gear sets were machined or hardfaced. I haven't heard of to many issues because of this except for the odd nut behind the wheel. Just don't dump the clutch in reverse and all will be fine.
Also don't go snatching another vehicle in reverse
:) Mick

kemjak57 said:
That looks like a great home on wheels ivanll. Are they good on fuel. Not that that probably bothers you, you always seem to pick up enough goodies to pay for that. :) Cheers Rick

The one I got do around 8.5km/l . . . . . fitting it out to do a WA trip.

This is my little rig, a 2008 BT50 with 2Inch lift and 32" muddies pulling a camper trailer that looks faster than the car :lol:
Also has winch and drawers and more mods.
1498460243_woods_point.jpg

Occasional_panner said:
MartinM said:
This is my little rig, a 2008 BT50 with 2Inch lift and 32" muddies pulling a camper trailer that looks faster than the car :lol:
Also has winch and drawers and more mods.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10027/1498460243_woods_point.jpg

That expertly fitted side awning really sets it off mate :Y:

Have to see if i can bend the "L" brackets in a bit as this expertly fitted awning is starting to sag a bit {)

My trusty 1995 GQ Patrol. Only a 2.8lt turbo diesel, running 10 pounds boost, upped fuel, 3 inch turbo back exhaust.

Soon to be my dedicated camping, fishing and of course detecting work horse.

Round spotties gone and replaced with 40" LED lightbar

Only done 490,000 kms, so just run in. Love it.

With muddies on
1498552894_image.jpg

Stocky wheels
1498552939_image.jpg

1498553021_image.jpg

1498553022_image.jpg

I have a 2012 Nissan Navara D40 RX dual cab 4x4 ute which I use for my daily ride. It's a 2.5Lt turbo diesel and she runs a treat, averaging 650 km per tank in Melbourne driving, with more in the bush and on the highways around Vic.

She is completely stock except for an ironman bullbar, but I have a uniden cb, 22in led lightbar, roof racks and a 2.5m awning to be installed.

Xstream1 said:
I have a 2012 Nissan Navara D40 RX dual cab 4x4 ute which I use for my daily ride. It's a 2.5Lt turbo diesel and she runs a treat, averaging 650 km per tank in Melbourne driving, with more in the bush and on the highways around Vic.

She is completely stock except for an ironman bullbar, but I have a uniden cb, 22in led lightbar, roof racks and a 2.5m awning to be installed.

Same as my 2004 Pathy but I have a 12000lb winch on a steel bullbar,9" LED'S,rear spotlight. 32" led light bar on roof rack,LPG Dual fuel,2" lift,set of drawers in back.
It's a very clean machine but a bit heavy on Unleaded fuel. Gadgets everywhere-window display,VMS700DX GPS.
TOYS TOYS TOYS but they all come in handy especially when i went to Glendon and forgot might LED camplights behind. The roof rack rear light came in very handy for cooking at night. Reverse her up to the camper trailer and --DAYLIGHT again.
Jaros.

Latest posts