What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just purchased my first metal detector (Garrett ATX) from a friend at work. My son has caught the bug from watching the British TV series "The Detectorists" so we are off to do a bonding session around Castlemaine. Don't really care if we have no success just using it for the experience. Any tips for a newbie, I have watched god knows how many you tube videos on this machine . PS I have my prospecting licence just in case you where going to ask.

Thank you for a great post and discussion. I am new to this forum and want to learn more about prospecting in Australia.

Thanks loamer great helpful info with the photos helps to know what to look out for also ta for safety tips usually overlooked.

Hi, have just joined this Forum and reading up on posts. Very interesting and can't wait to get going. Im about to buy a Minelab Detecter and being a beginer what detecter should i choose. Looking at the new Minelab 1000, or the GPS 5000. Any advice?.

Hi bren171.

The detectors you mention are quite different. GM is a VLF, fairly basic machine. 5000 is a PI machine that is pretty much one of the best, most versatile gold machines you can get. Use the search function on the forum and you should be able to locate as much info as you want on the 5000. Not a lot of info on the GM yet but some good stuff in the Minelab section of the forum.

Good luck with your choice :Y:

G'day bren171,
I'm a bit like you. I didnt know what machine to buy, but after a bit of research I settled on the 5000. I bought this in April and very happy with the decision. I reckon it comes down to your budget and how much time you're prepared to put into learning how to best use your machine and where you're most likely to find gold.
If the above criteria is you, I'd go for the 5000. I am rapt in mine and have so far picked up about 40 bits.
Irrespective, I just love getting out in the bush as often as I can as every time is an adventure.

Hi Loamer. Just read this entire thread and as a newbie I found all the info to be of great interest. I have just picked up a good second hand GPX5000 and am looking forward to trying it out. Of note I live near Calliope in Central Queensland and this area was well known for gold finds in the mid 1800's. I have a 13 acre property which has a lot of the indicators for gold bearing ground that you have mentioned. Ironstone, granite, Sandstone and quartz are all present, so guess where I'll be breaking in the detector.
Looking forward to finding more great info on this forum.

What a great help. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my detector arrives. I'll try to committees to memory asap!

Thankyou Loamer for the great advice. My wife and I are looking forward to detecting in the GT over the next few months.

Excellent 'Motherlode' of information here. Read it four time already, now it is time to go back to the start and write down some notes!

I've just joined and this was the first post I've read. Very informative and I'm grateful for the advice

Off to investigate more threads :)

Cranky Emu said:
Excellent 'Motherlode' of information here. Read it four time already, now it is time to go back to the start and write down some notes!

Ha ha. Me too. I read and got so into it,
I've forgot to make notes. Off to re read a bit slower this time

Cabcaz said:

Doesn't hurt to do another few runs over, even if your taking notes there still might be something you miss, or a post further down the thread might spike your interest about a previous post you didn't pay much attention to.

I tend to copy all posts with info into a text file then delete the non-essential stuff.

Cranky Emu said:
Cabcaz said:

Doesn't hurt to do another few runs over, even if your taking notes there still might be something you miss, or a post further down the thread might spike your interest about a previous post you didn't pay much attention to.

I tend to copy all posts with info into a text file then delete the non-essential stuff.

Great idea cranky emu