Caravan air cond / which generator ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
Have been running a Chinese 3 kva inverter genny for a couple of years now when on extended van trips and not swagging it . Yesterday while using a circular saw on some sleepers it s##it itself then actually caught fire ! The reason I went 3 kva is it needs to run a Heron 2.2 caravan air cond without soft start so need to replace with something to do the job . My first choice like most people would be a Honda Eu 2.0 or a Yammy 2.0 but while they will run the air there are many reports that when ambient temp is above 30 degrees they struggle and fail as their constant is 1.6 kva and 2.0 max. Don't know if true but have read for every 5 degrees ambient above 25 Celsius the generator output reduces by up to 10 percent ? The Yammy 2.4 would be great but you step up from 20 kgs to 32 in weight and about $2400 .
There have been good reports on the CROMTECH OUTBACK 2.4 kva generator ( $ 899 ) put out by Cromellins Australia who have been building generators for years using a Subaru motor but this one is imported , sold and serviced by them and weighs 20 kg ,runs the air easily with constant 2.1 kva ( according to many users ) on caravanning forums.

Does anyone have one of these ? If not what genny do you use capable of doing the job ?

Cheers in advance
1504421730_image.jpg

I would stick with a 3kva for efficient air con running. Ive had a Honda 2.0 and in runs flat out on the aircon. The GenQuip Inverter 3kva I have now just purrs.

GT :)

The Chinese gensets are notorious for fuel leaks as they age - mine only lasted one season of very moderate use. At only $899 retail (including GST) for a 2.4kVA, that Crommelins genny is bound to be a Chinese unit, no matter how good their brandname has been in the past.

Another alternative is to run a matched pair of 2kVA gensets in parallel, doubling the available output power (not the voltage). Honda make a lead especially for this and I have an idea Yamaha also do one. Two lighter-weight machines are easier to manage than a single gutbuster and when the weather isn't too hot, you might only need to use one of them.

Here's more info on YouTube, about people using this approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2B4Vvz9Xqw

this is the one i have (2 Years now)and fits where i need it (slide in and out tray mount)
it runs my furnace all day and its 1.5Kw (2 days a week)
also runs anything i need when camped up for the night
one man lift but it has a bit of weight (would not like to carry it to far)
i have had others but the furnace burns them out to quick
NOTE
I have no association with this company just like there gear and service

https://www.bbta.com.au/products/BBT-3000i-Generator.html

Haven't used the Renegade generators but I have use the Renegade water blasters and quick cut petrol powered saws commercially and they have lasted the distance well 2 + years .. obviously if we wanted high pressure quality we would use a spitwater or alike but we don't need that. I have to get some generators for work (maintenance company) and this is where I'll be shopping, just for the convenience. And no I don't work for trade tools ;)
www.tradetools.com/product-range/outdoor-power-equipment/generators

I have an older model of this unit http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-5kVA-M...708016?hash=item5447d9c930:g:qcsAAOSw42JZHNrn
Mine must be 8yrs + old and I have given it hell, it sat in the tray getting rained on, driven along corrugated roads and the only thing I have done is new oil and the starter battery, even the remote battery still works (very surprised at that!!!!!)
Being a bigger unit it probably never got worked too hard, but in the brownouts of 2009 it ran ac units and the house for 10-16 hr stretches, then it got lent around a bit for mates houses as they copped brownouts in their areas. It had a few stretches of not being used for 2 yrs but fired up always.

So don't disregard the cheapies, maybe I just got lucky.

BTW I don't get why all these A hole sellers call them silent, this one is 58db at 7 metres, that is still pretty noisy. It's fine if you are in a van as all you will hear is the WOOOOOOSH of the nice cold aircon, but if you are in a campground you won't make friends.

xcvator said:
When it gets that hot I sit under a shady tree with a solar powered ice cold beer , much cheaper and quieter
And sweatier, having a wife and little fella to keep happy I understand the need for this in extremes of heat.
BTW it wouldn't be a good look giving an ice cold beer to a 4 yo would it? :|

When going solo like to swag it but worked out years ago Happy Wife Happy Life and if a little bit of comfort provided on a 40 degree day holidays can be spent bush camping and detecting for gold rather than stuck around some pool somewhere with every other bugger going stir crazy. Rarely do campgrounds full of people if can be avoided prefer the solitude of the bush ,the dogs and a little gold with a bit of luck. Also run 300 w solar so plenty of cold Coopers ;)

Occasional_panner said:
xcvator said:
When it gets that hot I sit under a shady tree with a solar powered ice cold beer , much cheaper and quieter
And sweatier, having a wife and little fella to keep happy I understand the need for this in extremes of heat.
BTW it wouldn't be a good look giving an ice cold beer to a 4 yo would it? :|

Yeah I say let the little one get his own beer, he might expect it when he gets home. Ken. :eek: :eek:

I had a look at the cromtech gennie only a few weeks ago, and really wanted to buy it, it seems like a very good generator, far better than most chinese ones available atm. Sadly my budget wouldnt stretch that far, and made do with a kings 2 kva inverter. I also have a AEG 2.4kva , but its a bit big and bulky to chuck in my trailer. The kings seems like an ok generwator, i dont have high expectations of it, it was only $399. So ill see if i get 2 or 3 years out of it. If i get 3 years, ill be ok with it!
The cromtech is much quieter than both mine, and seems nearly as quiet as a honda or yamaha. Ive spoken qith one bloke qho runs one, and he is very happy with his yella fella.

Cheers Dave

eBay had a 10 percent off deal so bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday $809 delivered. Did more research 32 reviews all positive no negatives especially good for running a/c . Will give update when used a few times .

Thanks to all for comments :)

Latest posts