Ctx test drive

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Took the 3030 out for a spin today just to see what they were like. My first concern had always been weight and balance, surprisingly it was a lot less heavy than I expected and balance was reasonable, perhaps being on the taller side I was not experiencing balance issues some (shorter?) users say they experience.

First hour was a quick lesson on features which intrigued me.... Minelab have packed a lot of features in but I guess that's reflected in the price. For a tone/ID shooter I could see the detector doing a lot of the work I traditionally do inside my head, which was a little confusing at first but showed it's value as I progressed through several site hunts.

So what did I think of it? Well coming from my background I think it's unique features are probably lost on me, waterproofing, wireless, gps, programming, assisted ID and pinpointing, auto ground balancing, beach capable....All great things but apart from the beach aspect probably not much good to me.

Now keeping in mind I have less than double digits in hours on this I was, well, underwhelmed. I struggled to get good target seperation on junky ground, and still dug some screw tops. (despite the insistance of the seller of the bulletproof coin program). Emi seemed to be less of but still an issue at one of my parks where I have trouble. The CTX had to be swung slower to become more accurate on deep targets than I'm used to, and the battery life was pretty underwhelming.

So where did I fall on it? It's probably a very good machine in the right hands. I however felt it was more of a headache and a challenge without much (any?) benefit to me. I tried it on some ground I'd hit some deep small silvers, both the seller and I came up with zero extra. Which was fine until I pulled out my old faithful and picked up two very deep 1c pieces on ground we had just been over. Scratchy signals but definitely high conductive targets deep where the 3030 gave up barely a signal once I had pinpointed the target.

So I'm a little disappointed...Not so much in the detector as knowing that the ctx probably won't feature in my future after hearing and reading such great things, unless I go closer to the coast. On the plus side it makes the other detectors (deus, gold/racer, explorer/etrac) much more attractive in pricing/features terms.

Not a comprehensive review I know but I thought I'd put down what I made of my few hours playing g with the top priced coin/relic machine on the market.

You really do need a bit of time to get to know the CTX, really it doesn't do much more than other detectors but it does it very very well once you understand the tones and target separation settings. When and when not to use ground balance and also the sensitivity settings.

It's a detector that takes a while to learn. I really wouldn't want to be without mine as long as I'm in to this hobby.

Good honest write up though GT.

OldGT said:
Took the 3030 out for a spin today just to see what they were like. My first concern had always been weight and balance, surprisingly it was a lot less heavy than I expected and balance was reasonable, perhaps being on the taller side I was not experiencing balance issues some (shorter?) users say they experience.

First hour was a quick lesson on features which intrigued me.... Minelab have packed a lot of features in but I guess that's reflected in the price. For a tone/ID shooter I could see the detector doing a lot of the work I traditionally do inside my head, which was a little confusing at first but showed it's value as I progressed through several site hunts.

So what did I think of it? Well coming from my background I think it's unique features are probably lost on me, waterproofing, wireless, gps, programming, assisted ID and pinpointing, auto ground balancing, beach capable....All great things but apart from the beach aspect probably not much good to me.

Now keeping in mind I have less than double digits in hours on this I was, well, underwhelmed. I struggled to get good target seperation on junky ground, and still dug some screw tops. (despite the insistance of the seller of the bulletproof coin program). Emi seemed to be less of but still an issue at one of my parks where I have trouble. The CTX had to be swung slower to become more accurate on deep targets than I'm used to, and the battery life was pretty underwhelming.

So where did I fall on it? It's probably a very good machine in the right hands. I however felt it was more of a headache and a challenge without much (any?) benefit to me. I tried it on some ground I'd hit some deep small silvers, both the seller and I came up with zero extra. Which was fine until I pulled out my old faithful and picked up two very deep 1c pieces on ground we had just been over. Scratchy signals but definitely high conductive targets deep where the 3030 gave up barely a signal once I had pinpointed the target.

So I'm a little disappointed...Not so much in the detector as knowing that the ctx probably won't feature in my future after hearing and reading such great things, unless I go closer to the coast. On the plus side it makes the other detectors (deus, gold/racer, explorer/etrac) much more attractive in pricing/features terms.

Not a comprehensive review I know but I thought I'd put down what I made of my few hours playing g with the top priced coin/relic machine on the market.

I found them pretty much the same to and the Etrac was worse, The Explorer II was about the best one, The moment you start to Disc out junk with FBS systems they slow right down, They are very good machines but they are slow and methodical, Single frequency machines walk all over them in high trash areas and even in normal trash areas too.

They also lack sensitivity to tiny targets and fine chains and small nuggets etc. But saying that they are good on deep silver coins and beach work.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
I found them pretty much the same to and the Etrac was worse, The Explorer II was about the best one, The moment you start to Disc out junk with FBS systems they slow right down.

J.

I use the CTX every day and that is not the way I find it. I use some very heavy discrim in some spots and it is not that slow.

This vid is on my goldie pattern and the way the CTX can pretty much elininate heavy trash if you're searching for specific targets of a known TID.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/SQD-ZR9j4rU[/video]

Also check out my other video and it proves that it's not as slow as you'd like people to believe, it's not as reactive as the Deus but it's no slouch either. You can't get much heavier discrim than I'm using in this vid.

From 15 mins in.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/0guWDFTZmlM[/video]

I think the CTX is not over complicated, It just has a language all of it's own and people need to learn it without short cuts, In the right hands it is as good as it gets, Single frequency users have a hard time learning to speak CTX/Etrac, They are not machines that a person can use for a month and say they gave it a fair Go,

I agree John, it's not that complicated to use but there are some settings that you do need to do quite a bit of playing with to understand fully and the settings and menu screens can take a while to get your head around but once you have it set up for the areas you usually detect and your personal preferences it's just a switch on and go.

For instance using ground balance, I have never needed to use the ground balance on it in my area but in say the GT you will almost certainly need to use it.

Tone profiles too, I was using "combined" but have started using "50 tone conductive" while going over ground I've already detected, the change in tone profile and boosting up the auto sensitivity is revealing many targets I've either missed or ignored previously.

Yeah that is right, People can't make a blanket statement about the CTX, They are never going to be as fast as a single frequency machine but that works in favour with the depth or target ID, where a lot of single frequency machine that have a fast recovery either looses depth or target ID and with some brands they loose both,

As a primary Treasure and Coin machine the CTX is a leader, not intended as a Nugget or very small finds machine, people often make the mistake with all BBS and FBS machines in thinking that because it says that they use frequencies from 1 to 100khz that they can be used for prospecting but that is more of a novice way of thinking,

Those multiple frequencies work better in many ways and are still more reliable than switchable multi frequency machines that some how never have the right frequencies and FBS and BBS run smoother, Although that can slow them down they take the guess work out of it and the user is not left wondering if that have been using the right frequency or have to go over the same ground using another frequency, It is not perfect but in skilled hands they don't leave much behind.

J.

I appreciate the effort you guys have gone to in giving a balanced opinion and further thoughts on the CTX. In fairness I can confidently say I have not spent enough time with it to truly give it a thorough review and it does go without saying that an experienced user will always use a machine to the breadth of its capabilities. I certainly wasn't expecting a turn and go (hence the short lesson) and with time my initial thoughts might be less relevant.

I can say with confidence that pound for pound I reckon there might be better value in other machines, specifically the etrac/explorer option in the series at a lesser price. I'm fortunate enough to be the owner of a very good single frequency machine that seems to polarise anyone who's ever used one in their reviews to, so from the respect I might be a little simplistic in my overall first thoughts on the CTX. I certainly didn't hate it, but I will definitely be seeking an alternative swing on a deus before settling on my final analysis of where the CTX sits for me personally in both its abilities as a detector and in terms of pricing. The CTX doesn't come up for sale second hand all too often, which translates for me at least that the users prefer to hold onto them than sell.

In the meantime I'll keep swinging the old faithful I picked up for about 1/4 of the price knowing it at least holds its own despite its age and lack of additional features, confident I'm not leaving too much behind me. Truth be told it's far easier to find a place to have a good hunt than it is to decide what I want to detect it with :D

Thanks again gents, plenty of food for thought in what you've shared.

OldGT said:
I appreciate the effort you guys have gone to in giving a balanced opinion and further thoughts on the CTX. In fairness I can confidently say I have not spent enough time with it to truly give it a thorough review and it does go without saying that an experienced user will always use a machine to the breadth of its capabilities. I certainly wasn't expecting a turn and go (hence the short lesson) and with time my initial thoughts might be less relevant.

I can say with confidence that pound for pound I reckon there might be better value in other machines, specifically the etrac/explorer option in the series at a lesser price. I'm fortunate enough to be the owner of a very good single frequency machine that seems to polarise anyone who's ever used one in their reviews to, so from the respect I might be a little simplistic in my overall first thoughts on the CTX. I certainly didn't hate it, but I will definitely be seeking an alternative swing on a deus before settling on my final analysis of where the CTX sits for me personally in both its abilities as a detector and in terms of pricing. The CTX doesn't come up for sale second hand all too often, which translates for me at least that the users prefer to hold onto them than sell.

In the meantime I'll keep swinging the old faithful I picked up for about 1/4 of the price knowing it at least holds its own despite its age and lack of additional features, confident I'm not leaving too much behind me. Truth be told it's far easier to find a place to have a good hunt than it is to decide what I want to detect it with :D

Thanks again gents, plenty of food for thought in what you've shared.

After having owned a Sovereign GT (BBS) and the Etrac (FBS) I prefer single frequency machines 14khz being the best all round frequency, 5khz for Silver and deeper targets and above 45khz for fine Gold etc, When you look at the over all cost of the 3 machines there is not much difference compared to the CTX, But by having all 3 machines does give you a bit more flexibility because the high KHz machine is good for prospecting,

There is no perfect detector and the best you can buy is the one that matches your needs the closest, For me due to my sites the MXT is the best because I hunt mainly Roman and Celtic and Medieval Items and Small Gold, I tried PI's and BBS/FBS and they just don't work well enough for me, That would change if I was into Beach detecting, I tried buying detectors based on what I liked or what other people said and that just does not work, So finding the right machine should not be based on what other people/mates say or reviews and at best should be seen only as a guild,

J.

YEP... too many variables in the Machines / Ground conditions / USER :)

Big is not always better and Less can often produce more.. I know that may sound strange - but rather that going off lots of crappy Utube vids with 1001 likes etc and wild claims...

A good read of the manual and some basic understanding of physics etc is much more helpful...

I love my 17" coil and disc for targeting $1 and $2 - But the 11" comes into its own when chasing other items and can PUNCH deeper than the 17". I hate the 6" but it will get the chains and other stuff the 17"or 11" will miss. Then again I use different setting and swing differently with each one = USER VARIABLES :) AND I like that I can go from Dry to Sand to Salty et sand and then Wading and not have worries re water or falsing...

Excalibur = Should remove all but one Pot/Switch = Threshold is all that is needed - All others should be removed and hard wired and an external Pinpoint/Disc to allow tones to be used.... I also us 3 different coils for different sizes = Water or Land and that makes it a much more functional unit...

My Fors Core Gold Plus = USER = Dumb Works well but only use it sparingly and thus NOT for me to comment as to what it can do Vs what I do with it...

AngerManagement said:
YEP... too many variables in the Machines / Ground conditions / USER :)

Big is not always better and Less can often produce more.. I know that may sound strange - but rather that going off lots of crappy Utube vids with 1001 likes etc and wild claims...

A good read of the manual and some basic understanding of physics etc is much more helpful...

I love my 17" coil and disc for targeting $1 and $2 - But the 11" comes into its own when chasing other items and can PUNCH deeper than the 17". I hate the 6" but it will get the chains and other stuff the 17"or 11" will miss. Then again I use different setting and swing differently with each one = USER VARIABLES :) AND I like that I can go from Dry to Sand to Salty et sand and then Wading and not have worries re water or falsing...

Excalibur = Should remove all but one Pot/Switch = Threshold is all that is needed - All others should be removed and hard wired and an external Pinpoint/Disc to allow tones to be used.... I also us 3 different coils for different sizes = Water or Land and that makes it a much more functional unit...

My Fors Core Gold Plus = USER = Dumb Works well but only use it sparingly and thus NOT for me to comment as to what it can do Vs what I do with it...

I agree, there is a lot to be said with sticking with one machine and mastering it not just learning it, because you find ways to push it even further, In good ground some VLF's can be exploited to where they rival PI machines and some tricks can make them go even deeper, The hard part is finding ground clean enough to be able to do it.

A skilled user will always win out in the end,

J.

Latest posts