Aftermarket batteries for Minelab

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lithium battery pack made up for my 3500. It was made up by Woody, it has come apart and is only showing 1 volt on multimeter. Yet showing fully charged on charger. The hot melt glue inside has let go.i have previously superglued it but now it has let go again. How safe is this could it burst into flames. These batteries are Canon camera batteries modified and fitted with minelab leads. Got me wondering?

Lithium
1504397870_wp_20170903_09_07_39_pro.jpg

1504397871_wp_20170903_09_07_55_pro.jpg

Is this like coilteks old pocket rocket system,ive still got one floating about here somewhere,used to buy the batteries off ebay,they fitted a sony camcorder if my memory serves me correct,batteries were called NF-then a bunch of numbers,havent got any batteries sorry,old ones were thrown out,was awsome on the 35,bet ya havent but i wouldnt hook that up to the detector,sounds a bit dodgy.....

Sounds like it may have dropped a cell and as with all lithiums there is a good chance its dead. Depending on the battery chemistry the low voltage cutout should kick in around 3v somewhere and most battery chargers wont recharge a lithium that falls under that voltage. Although there are some ways of potentially bringing that cell back to life none of which are safe or recomended. Being a home made job and not knowing how it has been wired up i could only suggest contacting the bloke who made it up.

ah cuppla pics,nothing like coilteks old system,batteries look similar but a different size maybe,so this is soldered together,no connectors?

Redfin, Mick is not Woody. Mick is a man of impeccable credentials and really knows what he is doing. I have no hesitation in recommending this product and any other products Mick may be involved with. People in the know detector wise would already be acquainted with this very clever and honest man.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of others that modded, you learn something every day.
Got sidetracked as his stalkerbook page had Woody's site as an acquaintance or whatever they call it.
Good enough for you is good enough for me.
Nice to have someone else that repacks batteries too.

Redfin said:
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of others that modded, you learn something every day.
Got sidetracked as his stalkerbook page had Woody's site as an acquaintance or whatever they call it.
Hi Redfin

Does it? Nope, certainly no acquaintance. Sure, I know him, but I live in my world and he in his ;)

Thanks Reg and Eski!

Those who have been around the forums for a long while may know me elsewhere as Mechanic.

The website is still getting updated and ironed out.

Cheers Mick

AuMan said:
Redfin said:
Hi Redfin

Does it? Nope, certainly no acquaintance. Sure, I know him, but I live in my world and he in his ;)

Thanks Reg and Eski!

Those who have been around the forums for a long while may know me elsewhere as Mechanic.

The website is still getting updated and ironed out.

Cheers Mick

Looks an a good setup,im over trying to get my own wireless setup goin,be oredering one the next cuppla weeks,plenty of power on the receiver mick with ext speaker plugged in?

Hi Goldchaser,

Sure is plenty of oomph for driving a speaker.
And the receiver lasts for a ridiculous amount of time running said speaker.
I designed them this way so even in years to come the receiver won't let you down by lasting less than the battery.

Cheers Mick

AuMan said:
Hi Goldchaser,

Sure is plenty of oomph for driving a speaker.
And the receiver lasts for a ridiculous amount of time running said speaker.
I designed them this way so even in years to come the receiver won't let you down by lasting less than the battery.

Cheers Mick

top stuff,ill be in contact via your site.....

Ded Driver said:
Ive recently dealt with Mick & happily vouch for his skill & services
great bloke :perfect:
good to see your website up Mick :Y:

Yeah, have to agree.
Nothing but professional service from Mick when I got my batteries repacked.

Hey Mick , these battery packs have an amplifier to drive the speaker still?

FYI all , these wireless packs have ctick approval too, not cheap.

Eski said:
Hey Mick , these battery packs have an amplifier to drive the speaker still?

FYI all , these wireless packs have ctick approval too, not cheap.

Hi Esky,

The audio socket on the battery itself doesn't have an amplifier. That socket is intended as a backup if something were to go wrong with the receiver.
You can plug a Wazza's Eyespy directly in to the battery on the side of your detector and still have audio from the receiver.

The receiver contains an amp to drive the speaker.
The output power of the receiver adjusts depending if it has a speaker of headphones connected, just like the GPX battery.

This whole system is intended to replace your gpx/sd/gp battery and still use the headphones or speakers you like.

Cheers Mick

Latest posts