Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou so much everyone for your time and answers. Occasional_panner that was very helpful thankyou. So where im headed to camp soon is state forrest so as long as i stay right away from the excempted rivers, heritage listed spots ect i should be ok:| :) not sure whats up there to find but not to worried while im learning.
Thanks again everyone :Y: :D you all seem great here im glad joined

I noticed that the Goulburn River is on the exempt list, but many of the titles go to the centre of the river. Is it still exempt to detect the river on the private property with the land owner's permission?

Tathradj said:
You got a bee in your bonnet Bloke. {)

Occasional_panner said:
LoneWolf said:
Sorry Op im not talking about where to go, lonewolf26 asked how to change avatar, So I responded to that.... :cool:

LW...
That's ok mate, I was saying BS to the mods knowing everything.
Hell even the great panner doesn't know everything, how on earth would the mods have a hope in hell of that task. ]:D ]:D ]:D
Just a bit of tongue in cheek Tath, no one knows everything.

lonewolf26 said:
Thankyou so much everyone for your time and answers. Occasional_panner that was very helpful thankyou. So where im headed to camp soon is state forrest so as long as i stay right away from the excempted rivers, heritage listed spots ect i should be ok:| :) not sure whats up there to find but not to worried while im learning.
Thanks again everyone :Y: :D you all seem great here im glad joined
Yes. Basically you'll probably find modern rubbish. If you hook up with the Count http://adventurermaps.com.au/maplist.htm
He'll let you in on some less known areas.

MeatyJoe said:
I noticed that the Goulburn River is on the exempt list, but many of the titles go to the centre of the river. Is it still exempt to detect the river on the private property with the land owner's permission?

From my research reading - in Victoria (with a few exceptions) watercourses are Crown Land and not subject to freehold. Re the Goulburn River regardless of any abutting private land, prospecting, fossicking and mining operations are not permitted in this River.

casper

The count? The link goes to a site to buy maps and books ect does this person detect up that way?

Tathradj said:
You got a bee in your bonnet Bloke. {)

Occasional_panner said:
LoneWolf said:
Sorry Op im not talking about where to go, lonewolf26 asked how to change avatar, So I responded to that.... :cool:

LW...
That's ok mate, I was saying BS to the mods knowing everything.
Hell even the great panner doesn't know everything, how on earth would the mods have a hope in hell of that task. ]:D ]:D ]:D

That was meant to be 'tongue in cheek' humour..... To be Taken Lightly... Not a go at the Mods.....

I Don't have a Bee in my Bonnet... I have the Whole F$%%$N Hive..... ;) :p :lol: ]:D :brokenh:
Man I need to get out....

LW....

lonewolf26 said:
The count? The link goes to a site to buy maps and books ect does this person detect up that way?
That is run by Count Rudolf Paoletti, he knows that area very well. He'll want to sell you some maps, but he will also have you on the phone for an hour. He's a handy person to talk to.

Great ! Thanks again Occasional_panner and all that have responded to my questions. I appreciate it

MeatyJoe said:

The exclusion includes the Stream Bed and Banks, i think up to 200 feet from the low water edge of the stream.

Swinging & digging said:
MeatyJoe said:

The exclusion includes the Stream Bed and Banks, i think up to 200 feet from the low water edge of the stream.
Don't quote me on it, but I think that's only in nat parks.

There are streams that are not within National Parks that are on the exempted list.
A very good example is the Tambo River in Gippsland of which a good majority is within State Forest.

The exempted list pre dated many of the existing National Parks. i think possibly around 1900?

Sorry for more annoying questions but are most beaches fine for detecting in Victoria? I havent found much info on public areas like that. I know marine sanctuary areas are no go however.

Swinging & digging said:
There are streams that are not within National Parks that are on the exempted list.
A very good example is the Tambo River in Gippsland of which a good majority is within State Forest.

The exempted list pre dated many of the existing National Parks. i think possibly around 1900?

I'm reading about (to be honest struggling with :/ ) cadstral river and creek boundary lore and law now, the significant dates are 1881 and 1905 (OIC ie Order in council and Act). It's deep.....

I know. You try and do the right thing, but the deeper you dig into the regulations the more confused you get.
Basically the way I see it is the people who are there to enforce the legislation IE parks rangers, or depi rangers are probably better ones to clarify things with.
You can get put through to the local branch, they are also helpful regarding track conditions too, I have always found them very approachable and happy to help.

Regarding restricted rivers and streams. Do they mean the whole length of the river? I asume this is right. What about small streams and creeks that feed it. And what about all the popular ones that people do (including as I understand it, clubs) go too that are on the list.

Latest posts