A Word of Warning, Lunch Box Cookers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These cookers are now available again at Bunnings, Big W, K Mart etc. They are now compliant with the Regs.........

Even though faults are purportedly fixed, it won't stop people using them wrongly. The 2 main wrong things done are;

1. Using a cooking utensil that is a bigger diameter than the burner support.
2. Leaving the safety lever in the down position after using.

1449728602_thumb.jpg

I got 2 very similar to these, One of them has an open undercarriage and the other model does not I have never had an Issue I bought them about 5 or 6 years ago maybe more, One of them has a safety lever underneath, I know they chew them little bottles real fast, lol.

john

Well I read all this concern and wonder why all the problems. I've got two of them and have had them for 10-15 years. I have used them in annexes etc and no problems. As long as they can breathe, they are fine. I know that people have put two of them together so they can use bigger pots etc, and that can work okay, but you still need to let them breathe. I think a lot of the problems comes down to people not using them properly. Just being careless.

ballarat_gold said:
Don't use them as a source of heat either. A couple of friends here died in there car the other year doing exactally that.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...ng-mother-shannon-knowles-20140727-zxix8.html

Well I don't know why they died or if the stove played a major part in what happened to them, I have a heater version and 2 of the stoves, The Heater has a low oxygen Auto shut off which I know works for a fact and they also have Tilt shut offs as well, With the heater I have used in excess of over 100 cartridges and it is still going strong with no Issues.

Some of these heaters the control knob will only go down to a certain level which makes it consume more Gas and some are setup so you can vary the level to a very low setting, The knob was loose on mine so I put it in the right position and tightened it up now I can get anywhere from 2.5 hours to just over 5 hours per cartridge.

I bought my stoves around 2001/2 but I don't use them that often but they still work like the day they were made.

John.

A "Lot" of caution is required when dealing with a naked flame-flames, which are sometimes not visible because of the chemicals used in the accellorant-like metho.
I had a fire in my 24 footer years ago when an electric fan caught fire during a hot night. I had to dive out thru a window and all i got was little cut on my leg as it must have touched the edge of the window on my flight out of the van. Only the chassis and myself survived.
BE CAREFUL.
Jaros ]:D

Jaros said:
A "Lot" of caution is required when dealing with a naked flame-flames, which are sometimes not visible because of the chemicals used in the accellorant-like metho.
I had a fire in my 24 footer years ago when an electric fan caught fire during a hot night. I had to dive out thru a window and all i got was little cut on my leg as it must have touched the edge of the window on my flight out of the van. Only the chassis and myself survived.
BE CAREFUL.
Jaros ]:D

I had an electric fan heater blow up about 3 feet away from back about 4 years ago,, This little Gas heater is very safe, it has tilt shut off and low Oxygen/co2 cut off and also the clamping lever shuts the Gas off straight away, I can get the Gas cartridges for around $1.50 and they will run it for about 5 hours, I put it in the bathroom one day when it was 8/9*c in there and in about an hour or so it was about 34*c.

Like all things it pays to keep an eye on them and never leave them unattended,

about a year ago I bought a vintage type Glass Kero Lamp and then I got to thinking that it would be nice if I had a pair of them so I hunted ebay and found one the same now I have a pair of them and not only do they provide light they take the edge off a cold room, and they last for about 24 hours if I light them both.

John.

1504216768_my_lamps.jpg

Latest posts