What to look for?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can give me some pointers in terms of choosing a good spot to dig.

There is an old copper mine I am going to check out in the next couple of weeks. I have researched the types of crystals may be found around copper, such as Azurite and Malochite.

My issue is I have never looked for crystals before and I can't find anything on site identification.

Do I look for change in soil colour around the rocks? Or just start prying open crevices looking for pockets randomly?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Hey Eric, if you're looking around old copper mines then the rock dumps will most likely have chunks of the ore left around everywhere. One copper mine near Sunny Corner has big chunks of Malachite in carbonate type rock just sitting on the surface. Hard to say for each individual area mate but when you see the copper minerals they are unmistakable.

Wash your hands too before eating or anything after handling the ore if you find it.

Hope you find something interesting. :Y:

Thanks Heatho. Yeah I scouted the old mine months ago but have not had time to get back for a dig.

There was the greenish copper mineralization everywhere!

Will post pics of anything interesting I find.

Latest posts