Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishfull said:
Sdc is an awesome machine, as has been said over and over you can't go wrong with it. They are compact water proof easy to use and they work very very well.

What he said

I haven't found anything large with mine, but I have no doubt it could detect a large piece fairly deep down.

william1 said:
Ok..I went to Coffs Harbour and bought one.....heading to Nundle early september for a week or so to try it out......thanks for your input guys

You won't be disappointed. Once you start finding the tiniest pieces of junk you know you have got it dialled in. Then its just about walking over the right spot, and a bit of lady luck.

Enjoy and hope you find plenty of AU

Sorry Baldy but got to disagree. I have been detecting over 20yrs I used to be a tester for prototype detector coils and accessories. Too higher sensitivity can give less depth in highly mineralised ground as the signal response overwhelms the machine with noise. You will definitely miss targets no doubt about it. The machine should be set up to suit the area and conditions.

if you are using headphones, there is no need to go above Sensitivity of 3, although I usually keep it on default. You will wear the knuckle join, so tape it or get a cover for it. Like everyone said, the coil needs to skim the ground for most efficiency. Pay attention not to stress the headphone socket connection.

Have fun. Shallow ground is your best friend. Go into places the 8inch coil can get you that others can't.

Great machine, be persistent and it will pay off.

Can someone with a bit of experience with the SDC please respond with some info regarding interference from long wires (ie. farm fences) if you're detecting near them - basically how close can you get to a long fence before there's electrical interference from it such that the SDC becomes useless?
The fence isn't electrified, it's just a standard 3 wire fence.
The fence runs literally adjacent to a pretty prospective spot I have access to (was an old mine there pulling dirt out at nearly an ounce/tonne. Lots of nuggets known from the area but from long ago. It's been 'forgotten' for the past few decades.)
So it's worth having a decent poke.
I just want to give myself the best chance as I'm not that experienced :|
Thanks in advance

My SDC can detect near a fence no problem. Obviously if you get the coil close it will go off. But otherwise shouldn't be a problem. Besides digging a lot of old broken fence wire junk targets near fence lines.

Any place is worth having a poke so go ahead. Be careful around old mines and make sure you have a friend with you in case of trouble.

Good luck

Hi Zengeo,

Sounds like a good spot to try, and trying is the only way you'll know for certain.
It can vary from fence to fence and also on the weather. Often you can get right up to one side of a fence but get interference on the other side depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Good luck mate.

Cheers for the info HayyouinAu.
When you say 'close', I'd like to get maybe 5-10m away from it.
You think that's too close and would generate interference or that'd be ok?

Lol, thanks Madtuna. Yeah I can't wait to have a crack at it!
This whole weather dependence thing - winds and all - just seems a bit amazing. I'm pretty familiar with the geophysical exploration techniques and know a bit of the physics behind how they actually work. A little bit. But enough to know that if the currents generated by winds blowing past wires can affect the machine then it's as sensitive as hell! Which is great to find the small stuff - what I'm guessing is all that's left now.
How's your own show coming along?

Zengeo said:
Cheers for the info HayyouinAu.
When you say 'close', I'd like to get maybe 5-10m away from it.
You think that's too close and would generate interference or that'd be ok?

Lol, thanks Madtuna. Yeah I can't wait to have a crack at it!
This whole weather dependence thing - winds and all - just seems a bit amazing. I'm pretty familiar with the geophysical exploration techniques and know a bit of the physics behind how they actually work. A little bit. But enough to know that if the currents generated by winds blowing past wires can affect the machine then it's as sensitive as hell! Which is great to find the small stuff - what I'm guessing is all that's left now.
How's your own show coming along?

When I say close, I meant I have gone within 1m without it wanting to start to pull the threshold (Varying factors though depending on how high the bottom wire is from the ground and if you are near a fence post) Also be weary that near old fences there will be a lot of trash, don't be disheartened, at least you are helping to clean up Australia. Best thing to do is try and test your limits in that area and fence. It will not hurt the machine (maybe your ears). See how close you can get before it starts to mess with the threshold. Do it super slow and you will hear it start to pull.

Also I have found that while the SDC is low to the ground it runs smooth as butter. Raising it in the air will pick up a bit more noise but nothing major.
Depends how small and deep you want to go as to how stable you want your threshold.

Hope you find heaps of AU

Hi fellow Gold hunters,

Im looking at upgrading from a goldbug pro to a sdc2300. Unfortunately I dont have the cash to buy a new one so Im looking at buying one secondhand.

Is there anything I should be looking out for or checking on a used machine?

Id appreciate any help, Im a complete noob with this machine.

Thanks

Serial numbers
Original receipt
Preferably some warranty

Check battery compartment to ensure theres been no moisture or battery leaks.

They are a robust machine that can take a bit of rough use , any problems i have heard of are generally internal and wont show up until its being used.

If the body is in good condition and all shafts lock in place properly theres a good chance it will be good , having a seller willing to take it out and turn it on with you and prove it runs smooth would be the best idea. But alot of people wont want to go somewhere quite with a stranger and a 2.5K toy.

Latest posts