Great detector for a enthusiast teen to buy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm wanting to buy a good detector for a enthusiast 14yo boy, something with very consistent numbers and sounds, it's going to be used for coin and jewelry detecting as that's what he really enjoys. And yes I know that numbers aren't always something to go off or rely on but in this case consistent numbers are quite important due to him having Autism this is something that he really takes note of, I'm hoping to spend around $300 and a used detector will be fine if these nothing good new around that price. Thanks for your time and help it's greatly appreciated.

Regards Bhogg

The fisher F-4 is a great little unit and they are pretty deep too,

John.

1503397038_fisher-f4-03.jpg

I have a 505 and although i like the machine and it's getting me plenty the numbers are shot all over the place. Different soils or sand and different depth changes the numbers so you really need to listen to the tones and walk around the target to get a clear picture. This is probably not suitable for your circumstance. SS.

Secret Squirrels said:
I have a 505 and although i like the machine and it's getting me plenty the numbers are shot all over the place. Different soils or sand and different depth changes the numbers so you really need to listen to the tones and walk around the target to get a clear picture. This is probably not suitable for your circumstance. SS.

Are you using the concentric coil or the DD, ?

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Secret Squirrels said:

Are you using the concentric coil or the DD, ?

J.

I am using the concentric, it only came with the one coil.

I recon he'd surprise you more than you think,.... any machine's gunna have numbers that jump around because of all the different rubbish in the ground bhogg ,... you'd have to find him nice clean quiet ground with only good solid targets to have good repeatability on the number scale.
His mind will be able to find the good number pattern targets better than yours once he does his trial n error training ,.... he's gunna be a wizz at pullin brilliance outta bullshit (silvers from the tip face) and after a while he'll leave you wondering just how he does it.too. Just put him on some good ground and let him dig all target numbers so his mind builds up a target profile from real experience ,... he'll very soon choose what he doesn't wanna dig for himself. :Y:

I reckon Silver is spot on. My f75 will always tell me when it's a nice shallow coin with no interference from other junk but the junk will always be trial and error because of conductivity readings.

For example I would say 199 times out of 200 I could tell you if it's an aly screw top or a $2 coin, a 5c piece and not a pulltab, a 10c piece and not a pulltab, a 20c piece and not a old beavertail, and a 50c piece and not a large flat can piece, but every now and then you get surprises both ways. No avoiding it no matter how good you are you will still dig a junk target eventually or miss a lot of coins.

just buy the best tid one you can get and he will figure it out just like the rest of us had to. All the best with it.

Really the only detectors around for that price and new off the shelf are the Garrett Ace 200i and the Teknetics Eurotek. Both have target ID numbers (Go-find misses out on numbers), whilst the Eurotek has better control over discrimination and sensitivity settings (higher resolution). Both are reasonably similar detectors other than that - the Ace has a better choice of both factory and aftermarket coils, whilst the Eurotek is noted for its performance in iron (good recovery speed). The Ace 200i can be had for anywhere between $330-350, and the Eurotek for around $310.

If you can afford it, I'd pay a bit extra for the Eurotek Pro for its extra features and performance (pinpoint button, iron audio etc), sells for around $399. The next model up from the Ace 200i is the 300i, though the price also jumps substantially up to $500.

If you are willing to spend a bit more into the $450-500 bracket, then detectors like the Fisher F22 (weatherproof), Minelab x-terra 505, Eurotek Pro with DD coil and Ace 300i come into play.

I bought a go find 90 for my kids and am very happy with its light weight and easy to use discrimination and pin pointing modes. Kids are from 7 a 13 and can all use it well

Latest posts