Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
After some thinking and bickering from the mrs
There is a detector coming in the mail.
Wooooooo
Should keep me happy I hope to chase some small nugget and scout the beach when we go back home to visit the i laws.

A quick question without having to scan online
Will the water proof coil pick up gold?
I'd like to if possible poke around some creeks etc.
Cheers cam :)

Glad you are chuffed with your new purchase, should provide many hours of fun. With respect to the concentric waterproof coil, the low 7.5kHz frequency is more suited to high conductors like silver & copper coins, and not so sensitive to low conductors like small nuggets or thin non-ferrous metals. The low frequency may also help to cope with mineralisation, though concentric coils aren't usually favoured for nugget detecting, unless used in conjuction with some of the higher frequency vlf gold detectors (Gold Racer, Goldbug 2).

Don't forget that you are not limited to using Minelab coils with the 705, companies like NEL coils offer a wide range of waterproof coils with various frequencies on offer, plus multifrequency coils that allow you to change frequency to suit the type of detecting you are doing.

Despite that, don't let that put you off from having a go - there have been cases where low frequency detectors like the Ace 250 have by chance picked up on reasonably small nuggets in the past, plus it should provide a good learning experience on what the detector/coil combinations are capable of. :)

Thanks very much for the reply
Most of the gold chasing will be out of water but I did like the idea of poking around in a few creeks.
For now I'll get used to what I have but still heck out the other brands you mentioned.
A lot to learn and read up on.
But I love readerching things and learning.
Can't wait to try it out.
Hope to dig every target and find some gold and old bits and pieces from the old timers.
Cheers cam

Cameronpatrol said:
Still waiting.
Watching and ready what I can.
Anyone have a fav or recommended YouTube tutorial for the 705?
Cheers cam

This one here will get you started the rest you can learn along the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdkVQFLyTA

When you've finished watching the video go out on the lawn and test test test with $2, $1, 50c...etc....you can also put jewellery down as well...the TID's are great but you'll always dig rubbish.....thing is to not be discouraged by rubbish....You'll have good days and not so good but the fun is just being out there and the anticipation of what is about to be dug up/uncovered. :)

All the best mate and look forward to seeing your finds.... :Y: :Y: :Y:

Hi all just wondering if people use nicads/ rechargeable batteries in their 705.
Or does the lower voltage of nicads cause issues ? Being 1.3v and normal being 1.5 :)
Cheers cam

Yeah, the 705 is a very happy chappy when it comes to battery types. Alkaline, NiMH or a combination of both.
When I was using my X-Terra 70 regularly, I had an "X-Terra battery" pile. Any odd batteries from clocks, remotes, toys etc. always ran them down fully on the X-Terra.

I use Panasonic eneloop pro Ni-MH 1.2 v 2550 mAh no problems
Get a least 40 hours between recharge

I think from memory reading the manual the 705 is internally regulated, hence the ease of battery types people mention. The Nicad's may not last as long but Ive lost track on how long they work before needing a recharge :)

NiCads have a memory effect, if you don't fully discharge they'll never charge to full capacity and won't last as long as they should, stay with Ni-Mh and you can't go wrong

Got the new toy yesterday, had quick go in. The dark last night and tonight.
Just put some coins down on the lawn to see if I could find them and what noise and numbers come up.
Last night was fun with my 9 year old, hide the coin and try to find it without lights.
And tonight I played with pinpointing and just watching and listening to where the target was in the coil as to how much noise it made.
I had planned on hitting some land tonight but got dragged to a birthday dinner, spewing.
Maybe tomorrow night.
Going to try the other coil on the weekend out bush at an old mine and see what shows up.
Very keen. To do a weekend out bush again run the sluice and detect as well.
Looking forward to daylight savings, at least until I can find things with the detector. And dig them out neatly. Before I head out in public.
I picked up a few bits from Bunnings over the weekend, little pick for 9 bucks and anothe plastic trowel/spade.
I. Couldn't find a Japanese blade thing so I settled for a metal scrapper/bog filler contraption.
It's sort of like a small barbie mate. Thick metal and sharp edge with a nice solid handle that I can use to do a slit in grass to retrieve coins.
See how it goes.
Have also been looking at old history on our area and have a few spots to go check out too.
Can't wait
Cheers cam :)

Thanks in advance for the answers to my long winded questions.
Sweep over a target eg, say a 30-34. Detector beeps each sweep, pinpoint position,b dig, sweep again, 2 black lines. From my reading the lines mean the detector has rejected the target. Am I right in saying this? If I then pinpoint again with those black lines showing the pinpoint shows the 2 solid circles as if is over the target.
Showing no numbers, something there or not.

Next question, I'm trying to listen to the tones and not look at the numbers but I need them as a guide, does everyone pretty much dig every number as junk is the same as good stuff in a lot of cases. Is this where experience comes in if you're good at this "you just know"?.
Angela