Queensland Durakai GPA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What_Trigger

Nathan
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious, Today while I was out in south Durakai We stumbled across a Sign posted "Keep Out under Mining license" Electronic surveillance in use.
It stated a mining number but I never took a pic today, I will next time.

So heres the thing, This Sign is well into the GPA access area as printed by the downloadable maps from the government fossicking site.

Am I allowed access due to it been in a government defined GPA?? as a average person wouldnt know how to look up mining lease areas. and I think the complete Talgai is under a lining license anyway.

Or is this guy just been a dick trying to keep most people away, Thanks

I would say the Later (Dick)... Not too sure about the 'Lease' tho... Give it a go I say, At least you can pull out the Government info(if the info you have is the latest) and if you ARE wrong, you can blame the Government.. :Y: . Is it a Mining Lease or an Exploration Lease? I don't go out that way much, so I can't offer much more....

LW......

What_Trigger said:
Hi All,

Just curious, Today while I was out in south Durakai We stumbled across a Sign posted "Keep Out under Mining license" Electronic surveillance in use.
It stated a mining number but I never took a pic today, I will next time.

So heres the thing, This Sign is well into the GPA access area as printed by the downloadable maps from the government fossicking site.

Am I allowed access due to it been in a government defined GPA?? as a average person wouldnt know how to look up mining lease areas. and I think the complete Talgai is under a lining license anyway.

Or is this guy just been a dick trying to keep most people away, Thanks

Mate there is a Brisbane based Mining company that seems to have three EPMs that cover part of the fossicking areas at Durikai. These EPMs are not new and have been around for a while. Their website says they intend to do exploratory drilling.

I dont know if they can stop people fossicking in a designated fossicking area due to their EPMs.

Does anyone know if EPM holders in QUEENSLAND can stop licenced fossickers from fossicking???

Just found this but suggest it needs to be checked:it was advice from the Qld Mining Registrar but is a bit old so beware of its accuracy.

An exploration permit (EPM) does not affect your ability to enter land to fossick, as the holder of an EPM is not considered to "occupy" land.

As stated in the Fossicking Act 1994:
Section 27 - Licencee must get permission to fossick on occupied land etc.
(1) A licencee must not fossick -
(a) on occupied land (other than a road reserve, designated fossicking land or a fossicking area) without the owners written permission; or
(b) on land to which a mining claim or mining lease applies without the claim or lease holder's written permission; or
(c) on land where a person may take quarry materials under a quarry materials permit without the permit holders written position. (a quarry materials permit is an agreement, licence, permit or other authority under the Forestry Act 1959 or an allocation of quarry material under the Water Act 2000)

For all of the above, "written permission" is the endorsement of your licence by the occupier of the land. Exploration permits are not included in the above list and so fossicking in the area of an EP is allowed with no permission from the holder of the EP required. Please note, permission from the land holder is still required. For your own safety, do not approach any area of current workings on an EP, a distance of at least 50 metres is strongly recommended.

The issue at Durikai is whether or not a mining claim or mining lease has been granted for anywhere within the designated fossicking area...if the answer is yes..then we may have lost the right to fossick there.

Big Thank you 91Shorty

There does seem to be a small mining lease "ML50284" inside south Durakai but the sign is a few hundred meters from his lease.

Just read this
"Fossickers must not enter any areas held under mining leases and claims without the permission of the lease or claim holder"
that was actually on the qld fossicking site

so we have lost an area inside the GPA.

But looking at the areas of exploration permits it seems we as fossickers are still ok, as everything is actually cover under one.

Only EPM's for Durikai are 25785, 25786 and 25788.

I think its part of the Herries Range Project.

There is an exclusion zone but not in designated fossicking area, and if there was I would say it would be listed on the fossicking website.

RA164 exclusion zone is also outside fossicking area. So are most of the good sections. :p

1503400688_sketch_2.jpg

I have a few other detailed maps but they are a bit secret.

I haven't heard of any other changes but that was as of 2 months ago since I last went out.

Thanks MikeB05, I don't do much Fossicking in QLD, so im not really up to date... If it is still listed on the Government Websites as a designated Fossicking Area I can't see any issue... Cameras or No Cameras I would at least try... As long as you have the latest info.. and you are in the right area... ;)

There is a 'Person' who is trying this same thing in the NT at the moment.. And He has just been Caught out a Beauty by the Mines Department and Will cop the Full Force of the Law and loose his Lease... :Y: :lol:

LW...

Im trying to work out how to put up this online mining mapping Shorty listed,
There is that current mining permit in South Durakai and it is under the "Granted" and not as an application

Hello All,

I have been an avid reader of this site.

As an active fossicker and prospector for more than 20 years and with my morals and bush etiquette I would never contemplate or even enter a mining lease without permission from the lease owner or holders.

Now just to clarify, ML50284 is an active mining lease and has been so for over 2 years and I just happen to know the lease owners personally.

I am very disappointed to read, as it appears in this thread, that someone would be prepared to enter a mining lease even by covering their face and number plates.

Therefore since reading this I feel it is my duty NOW to pass onto the lease owners what has been said in this thread in regards to some, and I emphasis SOME, fossickers morals and bush etiquette to do the wrong thing and enter a mining lease without proper permission.

Thank you Meerkat,
About time something like that was said. It's a sad thing when the determined few ruined for the majority.

I also have my own mining leases and for those exact reasons I would not even mention where they are on here.
The blatant disregard by some for hard worked for legal claims and leases is inexcusable wether it be gold, or gemstone mining
Even had someone use a backhoe driven from some 7 kms away on my lease. As a result I allow no one unless they are with me.

I would never even walk over someone else's lease or claim myself unless I was there with the owner or had a written agreement on my person.
The same goes for entering leasehold land, pastoral holdings or anywhere that is not a designated fossicking area.

How would you guys like someone to just wander into your back yard and start snooping though your stuff or pull out a detector and start detecting there, digging a hole.

Most people do try and do the right thing but there are those who have no regard for rules and regulations.

Well I never said to Enter if it wasn't part of the Designated Fossicking Area... You can only go buy the info that is available to you... :cool:
And for the Record I would and Do abide by the Relevant Laws when I fossick too....

LW...

Keep the talk legal fellas, there will be no talk of of potentially breaking any laws on this forum, especially talk about covering faces and number plates will not be tolerated. If you break the law and enter a lease without permission you deserve to get into trouble. That's not what this forum is about!

Anymore mention of this in this thread and it will be closed.

MikeB05 said:
Traprock Mining hold the three EPMs near Durikai.

I am going to rely on the QLD Govt issued fossicking maps...if for some reason they are not up to date...then it should be their problem not mine.

The photo below shows another view of the EPMshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7270/1503446407_herries_range_map_web.jpg

I had already posted that and there is no problem with the approved fossicking areas. I have overlayed them and they are fine.

Exploration permits are totally different to mining leases.

Anyways.... Enjoy away people.

It sounds like some people are wandering outside the legal designated fossicking areas.

And that is a NO NO!!!!

Do as Heatho says, follow the rules and go by the QLD Governments map. And obviously if there is any other indicators that say otherwise, then just go scan somewhere else. No one knows where the nuggets lay. There is an element of unknowns in mining, so I don't even see why people would care about one section when there is so much land to cover out there.

Peace and keep them coils low.