Coils for Whites TDI Pro Oz Series

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be getting the 14" mono in December when they come out, all reports say they work well on the TDI.

Has anybody managed to speak to someone that's supposedly done testing?
I'd be real interested to see how they compare, especially with something between the ML 4000 to 5000's to which they are close to?

I have recently purchased a TDI Pro Oz and am now in the market for a new coil or two, one small and one medium size coil.
Interested in the Miner John Designs 5" x 9" Elliptical and Miner John 12" x 16" Elliptical as they are both on sale atm but im having trouble locating extra skid plates for any MJ coils.
Also the 8" x 6" Nugget finder Sadie coil and the 14" x 9" NF have also interested me, plenty of skid plates available and a sturdy looking build quality!
I understand the MJ coils were made for the TDI's so should run smoother but i don't actually know myself.
Heard a lot of good things here about running the NF on the TDI's also.???
So far the NF coils have caught my attention a little more than the MJ..

Can anyone give me some advice on their experience with these coils on the TDI Pro Oz.
Im mainly interested in a smoother running sensitive coil. Any help would be great. :Y:
Thanks Scotty

I have 3 mj coils and have been using them for a while, but to be honost i bought one of the 11 inch round coiltek coils a few months back and have not taken it off. Machine seems to be a bit more stable and i reckon the sensitivity is on par if not a little better than the mj coils

The 8x6 Sadie runs beautifully in my TDI Pro Oz and seems to achieve great depth for such a small coil.

There are some other options now, the coiltek TDI range, razorbacks as well.
I had a razorback 10x6 I think, and it was a pretty hot little coil.

Not knocking the sadie coil, as people have had good success with this coil on the TDI pro etc. But, i would be very skeptical about any coil that does not ground balance very close to 8.5 at 10 usec on TDI pro, Tdi Sl and SPP's and for a good reason.

yes i read about that Roscoe.. So the nugget finder coils do not do this then?
If not, i know the Miner johns and coilteks, what other coils would achieve the ground balance at 8.5 at 10 usec?
Can someone whos used a sadie coil on the tdi pro tell me about their experiences with this combo.
Price is not an issue just looking for the best combo..

I have only found the miner john and whites coils GB on 8.5 on my SPP, the whites tdi pro manual states that it should GB around the 8 mark at 10 usec, the SPP is marked 8.5. OK, here is some thing interesting that i found using the SPP and from what i have been told by another operator who owns a tdi pro, it happens on the tdi Pro as well? When i ground balance at my home which is basalt soil it Ground balances exactly on 8.5 and when i take it out to the gold fields, guest what? It balances on 8.5 as well. Now, i don't know about you but that struck me as being a bit odd and lead me to the conclusion that maybe the ground balance circuit on the SPP and maybe the tdi pro are pre-set to the pulse delay and not independent, unless one uses the target conductivity switch in conjunction with the Gb circuit. So that got me thinking if the GB circuit is pre-set to the pulse delay on these machines, than what would the result of having a coil that ground balances say at 9 or so but the machine is set at 10 usec for 8.5. Considering that at GB of 8.5 at 10 usec is designed to give you the best response to small gold, what the effect of having a coil that GB's outside of this mark is anyone's guess, so instead of taking the risk i stuck with coils that i know GB precisely at 8.5.

It is no secret that pulse delay effects ground balance, the higher the pulse delay should see the detector seeing the ground as a lower conductor.

Maybe the ground balance positions of these other coils has no effect to small gold targets, but i was always skeptical if it did and stuck with miner john coils as they ground balance was spot on.

Please try Gbing the TDI pro in hot ground, you know when your in high mineral soils as the ground balance window on these machines gets narrower and narrower until its impossible to pick the middle point (note down your Gb position). Then take the tdi to a different mineralisation area and see what GB reading you get there, I would be very interested in your findings on the TDI pro.

link to tdi manual https://www.whiteselectronics.com/manual/tdi-pro-manual/

go to page 23 and read Chart A- Mandatory settings if you can not find a Gb point. This is used mainly for benign soils where the ground is not reactive enough to create a ground signal, like a beach. But it it does point out the importance of correct ground balance setting. :)

Thanks Magilla, i have watched every one of WalnLiz's vids multiple times. Love them guys and the effort they went to in their vids.
Roscoe, Miner Johns coils were initially chosen but then swayed towards the nugget finders after seeing a lot of success with the Sadie coil. As you described above was my main concern really.. How well would these minelab coils work on a whites?
You made a lot of good points and i thank you for your help. I'm now going to start with miner johns coils for the peace of mind.
No more changing my mind now lol. :Y:

I use a nugget finder advantage 11x7 it ground balances around that 8.5 mark at 10us and is pretty sensitive, i can run at full sensitivity but usually back it off a little just to smooth it out a fraction. As per Roscoe, in hot ground the balance window is extremely narrow (I have the SL) in these circumstances, i run the GB a little higher and flick to low conductivity so the threashold does not waver and it still picks up a .4 gram test nugget fine on the ground

I am going to sell a detech 8" DD that has been used for about 5 mins as it does not perform, also the minelab commander 11" DD i borrowed wont even try to ground balance with semi usable settings.

I would like a coiltek but i would ideally like something between the 10x6 and 11" round

Goldini, I have never used the sadie coil on my machine, but many people seem to be very happy with the coil on their TDi's. An in ground test was done by someone on this forum and the sadie performed in that test very well.

I own and use a little miner john 6" folded its a great coil for small gold, balances well and hits small targets and sieves through trashy ground well. It's very light and can poke into really small areas around creeks, rocks etc. I like this coil, it's sensitive, light, no touch sensitivity issues or falsing, i don't want to take it off, but of course its no good if you want to cover some ground.

FJ 9x5"DD works really well on a TDI Pro and is most often used on the SPP due to it's compatibility/sensitivity.

When we did some coil tests with a TDI pro oz, the standout on a range of targets was the 12" NF Evo. The 14x9" Evo was very slightly sharper on the tiniest nuggets, but fainter on the deeper ones. Detech 11" Ultra was also very good. This was on gold targets in fairly mineralised dirt. I was quite suprised. Didn't get a chance the run the unit on surrounding ground to see how well it would fair with such a sensitive coil though.

Has anyone used an 11" Commander on a TDI? To this day it is still one of the most stable monos. The 12x7" nf Advantage is another of the stable/sensitive monos that should work very well on a TDI. Unfortunately it is now discontinued, but fortunately I still have one. I think the Detech 11x6 is now the nearest equivalent. It pulled some good results in that depth chart. Not quite as sensitive as some of the smaller coils but not far behind, and kept up with the bigger coils for depth.

Latest posts