Minelab GT16000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had someone give me one of these a few years ago and thought I might take it with me when I go to Glendons this weekend.Has anyone used one and are they worth taking? I think it must be 15/20 years old.
thanks in advance,
regards
Mark

mrt2u.

It is a reasonable VLF machine. I used one in about 1988 when I hired one for the weekend to see what it would find compared to my 15000.
I did manage to find a small nugget back then but since the P.I. machines have come out then they have been greatly overshadowed. If there is shallow gold there then you should find it, within the first 8 inches of soil depending on the size of the nugget and the mineralisation.

I sold my two 15000 machine about 10 years ago and wish I hadn't. I just purchased a SD2000 for myself. This is almost 20 years old now, but it is the way to go for the deeper gold which, especially with the large range of coils available. The 16000 might have the ability to attach another coil but it won't be any of the new ones. I still believe it to be a viable machine but I wouldn't really expect to find gold with it on every outing. Probably make a very good beach machine.

I am looking for a detector in the range of Minelab 15000 - 18000 for my wife. If you are not using it and want to sell it let me know. I am in Victoria and hopefully so are you.

Axtyr

Hi guys,, newbi here. Brought a gt16000. I know it's old and all. But I'm not spending $5000+ :/ got it for $300. No gold yet. Getting a lot of hot rocks :/ maybe need to lower the sensitivity?? Did manage to find 2 pent and a threepence . And also a Robert emmet medal/coin. So anyway my question is this machine worthless or ok?? Seems ok so far. But rlly hanging to find sum yellow.
Just add detecting the Victorian goldfields, such a great relaxing place :) and only been out maybe 5 days total.

I have a FT1600 and I would trust it to find gram+ gold up to 6" deep - getting the coil to go over some has been my problem

The GT and FT are a bit behind the ball game sorry to say. Mainly because the operating freq is quite low, so they are not crash hot on smaller gold. The shallow gram plus bits were the easy targets over the last 30 years of detectors. But, the gold is never all gone and you just have to sweep over it. Will definitely find coins and other relics, so best to stick to the trashy areas as you never know your luck

Benrad666 said:
Hi guys,, newbi here. Brought a gt16000. Getting a lot of hot rocks :/ maybe need to lower the sensitivity??

The GT16000 was my 1st detector which I have kept and it runs fine after all these years.

I still have an affinity and fondness for my old GT/ VLF even though I now have PI.

What settings are you running out on the Goldfield as I may be able to help?

My Trusty old GT1600. :) :)
I bought it second hand then had Barrie Johnston do a few mods to it.
It has found quite a lot of stuff over the years and is one hell of a beach detector.LOL
Currently in need of new battery clips and the clamp that holds the box to the shaft is broken. (Common problem).
I better get it out of the shed and fix then use it.
I recently found a 14" coil for it.

Now I could be wrong but I think the GT16000 was the first ever Detector to use an Automatic Ground Cancelling or Balancing system so maybe Nenad can correct me on that bit of history?

Benrad666 if you got an instruction manual with your GT then on Page 17 there is 2 paragraphs there in regards to dealing with hot rocks and the what settings to use. Also mentioned is negative hot rocks or ground holes and what to do when they are encountered. If you do not have a manual I believe you can download one from the Minelab Product Archive site.

Back in 1989 when I purchased my GT and as a first time user of a gold detector my gold fever had well and truly set in with high ambitions of finding a big one. Well 12 months later I found it, a 2 ozer which is still my best ever piece of gold even after all these years later and now using a PI. The nugget was detected in a heavily mineralised hot rock infested gully and I was only able to operate using the Difficult Soil setting. I cannot recall what my Threshold , Sensitivity and Volume settings were set too way back then but the nuggets depth was nothing to skite about however without the Difficult settings the detector would have had no hope of hearing the nugget amongst all the hot rocks.

My tip for mineralised ground with hot rocks and if having to operate in the Difficult setting is to also use the Boost Sound setting if at all possible to conversant for the loss of depth that the Difficult setting produces. Also you may have to reduce the Sensitivity setting along with a slight reduction in the Threshold setting to prevent too much background sound. However you will need to experiment for yourself for these particular conditions.

Other members here may be able to offer more suggestions.

A question in regards to the 8 x AA Cell Alkaline batteries used in the GT since the new SDC also now uses the larger C Cell 4 x 1.5V Alkaline (supplied), or 1.2V NiMH, 1.2V Ni-CadD batteries.

Since the SDC being a PI is still able to operate well enough using a lower total voltage of 4.8 volts with the NiMH or Ni-CadD than the 6 volt total with the Alkalines so would the GT being a VLF do the same using a total of 9.6 volts with 8 x C Cell 1.2V NiMH, 1.2V Ni-CadD batteries instead of 12 volts with Alkalines, as I have only ever used Alkaline?

No, the GT needs 12V. If using 1.2V rechargeables, you need 10 x cells.
These rechargeable packs are still readily available. Does your control box have the dual 9v connectors?

PhaseTech said:
Does your control box have the dual 9v connectors?

Thanks for your reply and YES it does, on top of each of the 2 plastic battery case holders, as well on the wires leading to the Circuit board.

washgravel said:
PhaseTech said:
Does your control box have the dual 9v connectors?

Thanks for your reply and YES it does, on top of each of the 2 plastic battery case holders, as well on the wires leading to the Circuit board.

Okay if you wanted to get this modified so you can run the rechargeable packs, this is easily done. PM for details.

PhaseTech said:
No, the GT needs 12V. If using 1.2V rechargeables, you need 10 x cells.

Out of curiosity I recently tried 8 AA NiMh rechargeable batteries and my GT worked okay.

Now edited to add this "But for how long will it run for, which I am yet to test"

The GT and FT will find small gold if you could somehow be lucky enough to find a 6" coil for it. Years ago I had an FT and had a 6" coil on it and found lots of sub gram bits with it. I was using it one day and an old bloke came up to me where I was and said the gold there was only small so I should get the 6 inch coil to improve my chances. I got one and was glad for the advice. Don't go too fast swinging it, don't run the sens too high, if its screaming and groaning all the time you will be.
Bit long in the tooth but something's better than nothing. Who knows, there might be a good bit out there shallow with your name on it.
My best on the FT was a 5 ounce bit down 10" in a mullock heap. Was a good signal too. That was using the 11", think it was 11 was a long time ago now, DD coil.

G'day all,

I am going to be getting one of these machines just before Christmas, buying it from a tech, he has done work to it and is going to show me how to use it and what have you, very excited to get out there, it seems to be the best unit for my sad budget, he is very confident i will find small nuggets, around the gram mark, he has some targets he is going to show me on too, small nuggets, various coins and jewlery. As i live near a beach, will be great when I'm not in gold fields :) can't wait!

Will keep everyone up to date

HunterHarvey said:
As i live near a beach, will be great when I'm not in gold fields :) can't wait! Will keep everyone up to date

Look forward to hearing about what your GT ends up locating at the beach.

As I mentioned to you in another thread about a certain setting to try on the goldfield if it is highly mineralised ground, then a setting I found I needed at the beach for maximum depth and smoother operation over damp sand areas was with the Soil Switch set to Difficult and the sound Switch set to Boost.

Just some further info for you to digest and I expect the tech person you are purchasing it from will let you know more.

GT I had both FT AND GT I preferred the GT I found it ran smoother than the ft .I used it until the sd 2000 came out I had a mod done to the gt that made the tone adjustable it found many OZ of gold one being a 2oz and others great detector in its day regards john :)

I will absolutely take that on board, i think that is where i will use it 80% of the time as I'm a good distance from Goldfields. I know i can as you and old hand for advice on using it.

Old hand, it is great to know it has served you well and paid for itself many times over by the sounds.

Cheers guys

Hi everyone,

I have just recently acquired an old gt16000 which has an extra switch on the bottom right side of the control panel. It is connected via a couple wires to some resistors inside on the circuit board. I have attached a couple of pics as I don't know what the switch does and I was hoping someone here could shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance
1502954999_img_20170809_201708_1.jpg
1502955034_img_20170810_130244.jpg
1502955055_img_20170810_130159.jpg

Latest posts