flyfishing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My main hobby now is fly fishing for trout and fly tying which I have been doing for over 40 years.I teach fly tying at my local fly fishing club. Happy to provide advice or help anyone who wants to get into this great sport. I mainly fly fish lakes as I like to chase big fish.My best 2 were caught at L Purrumbete way back in 70's, 2 rainbows one on just on 10 lbs and the other about 8 1/2 pounds. Sadly those halcyon days at Purrumbete are history now due to changes in stocking policy and the introduction of redfin into the lake.Some very big browns can still be caught on the fly around now when they come in to try and spawn on some of the scoria beaches.

Fly fishing looks fascinating - I've often thought about trying it, but never have. It's also a good excuse to get out into nature and closely observe the natural world so as to work out a potentially successful fishing strategy, both of which are appealing to me. One day...

I love fly fishing the rivers and streams of the high country, good exercise , you have out think the trout and actually hunt them. It's a bit of an adrenalin rush when you plan your shot, execute it properly and watch a trout rise from 3' of water to sip in your fly, absolute magic :Y: :Y: :Y:

Ahh the memories. Used to live in the high country and would go fly fishing whenever I could. Apart from the great fight put up by the trout, what was always amazing was how shallow the water was. I know some of you blokes go fishing in the snowy dams, but that never grabbed me, I liked the little mountain streams.

The flow was shallow, but you would cast upstream and float your fly back on the outside bank where there was a bit of under cut. So quiet and peaceful, them all hell would break lose when one of them little beauties would have a go.

So shallow you didn't need waders, just some old sneakers that would save you from the rocks. Yep the one thing I miss now that I live in Qld. Can go sea fishing or look for yellow belly in the inland streams and dams, but never the same. Once a yellow tacks your bait you've got him, nothing like tussling with a rainbow or brown. You never had them until they were in your net

Cheers
Bill

I used to flyfish for brown trout when I was younger, dry fly only for me though. Really satisying catching fish on flies that you've tied yourself. The river closest to me had browns but not too many over 0.5kg mostly small fare. I tied the smallest flies, more of a midge, ever to catch some tiny tricky trout there, think the hook was .75cm long if even!

Shame Scrounger is no longer around, also loved fly fishing and a top illustrator for Freshwater Fishing Mag. and many fishing books both local and international ..... oh he also cleaned up in the goldfields.
Relocated to places east of Melb some time ago.
Cheers T.

Latest posts