best rivers/ creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just wondering what are the best creeks or rivers in Oz. remote areas to find gold.
looking on doing a tripin September for a week like to hike and prospect a area i havnt been to.
i like a challege so steep goat counrty meams less people would have been there.
any ideas.

Victoria would be best but all states. looking for bigger gold and don't care how hard the country side is to get to it

If anyone knew a spot with abundant big gold it wouldnt be there anymore.

There are multiple regions in Victoria you can find coarse gold with just a pan, tell me where youre interested in travelling and i might be able to give you a few fields to research.

Bazz said:
Wait for it !!!!!!

I'll be gentle Bazz...... ;)

Ben,... sadly you're 160 years too late for the rush!

In Victorian rivers, streams and creeks we mostly only get to pan the old timers 'leavings'. When the gold take ceased to be payable (ie didn't pay wages) they'd "rush" to the next newly discovered alluvial creek over the range, and so on it went. The days of a pound weight of gold to the pan are history and many creeks were "worked out" in only weeks.... But for us Google is your friend and also Trove Newspapers. From the newspapers you'll learn which creeks were "rushed" and when, how much gold was there and whether it was fine, shotty or coarse and in many cases how much the "stripping" was ie how far you had to dig down to where the gold deposit was. The newspaper reports on one of the creeks I frequent (I always take home gold from there) said that it was so abundant with alluvial (gold) but with water so scarce, the diggers only bothered with (ie retained) the "tolerably" sized pieces (probably pickers and nuggets) and the smaller nuisance stuff was simply tipped back into the creek. Nowadays not many fossickers will let on where they go and for you I trust the research will be just as rewarding as the digging and finding is for me ;)

good luck

Just pick a spot from google maps that looks inhospitable ben, and check that it'll be a goer for you with right of way, then just pack in checking everywhere on the way like the gentlemen of old did as they pack raped the land together ,.... you'll have a better chance of finding your eldorado like that with blind luck than you ever will doing superficial research.
Why havn't you done that yourself Silver I hear someone say ! Well I recon I would'a if I could'a but I ain't one much for that sorta thing. But you go find the stuff ben, you've youth n enthusiasm backing you all the way mate. :Y: :party: :Y:

ben2363 said:
just wondering what are the best creeks or rivers in Oz. remote areas to find gold.
looking on doing a tripin September for a week like to hike and prospect a area i havnt been to.
i like a challege so steep goat counrty meams less people would have been there.
any ideas.

Looking at some of your previous posts I'd just be going back to those locations, you seemed to have done well there and no doubt can pull more from the same locations

If you think you've cleaned it out send the location to me and I'll go double check.

Cheers T.

casper said:
Bazz said:
Wait for it !!!!!!

I'll be gentle Bazz...... ;)

Ben,... sadly you're 160 years too late for the rush!

In Victorian rivers, streams and creeks we mostly only get to pan the old timers 'leavings'. When the gold take ceased to be payable (ie didn't pay wages) they'd "rush" to the next newly discovered alluvial creek over the range, and so on it went. The days of a pound weight of gold to the pan are history and many creeks were "worked out" in only weeks.... But for us Google is your friend and also Trove Newspapers. From the newspapers you'll learn which creeks were "rushed" and when, how much gold was there and whether it was fine, shotty or coarse and in many cases how much the "stripping" was ie how far you had to dig down to where the gold deposit was. The newspaper reports on one of the creeks I frequent (I always take home gold from there) said that it was so abundant with alluvial (gold) but with water so scarce, the diggers only bothered with (ie retained) the "tolerably" sized pieces (probably pickers and nuggets) and the smaller nuisance stuff was simply tipped back into the creek. Nowadays not many fossickers will let on where they go and for you I trust the research will be just as rewarding as the digging and finding is for me ;)

good luck

As gentle as an elephant cracking a coconut............ :p :lol: :cool:

Good job!!!!

Latest posts