QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the pulsing noise a couple days ago. Drove me nuts and I tried diff coils and settings to no avail. THEN I tried diff headphones and voila! Fixed. I was using
Oxygen Audio wireless headphones and these worked 100% previously. Switched to an old set of Koss TD80's and zero noise. My 3 bits found so far are attached :)
1501751690_wp_20170803_14_53_36_pro1.jpg
1501751739_wp_20170803_14_52_55_pro1.jpg

1501751782_wp_20170803_14_53_49_pro1.jpg

The old Koss TD80's are supposed to be good phones Krisco :Y: Better than the UR30's now supplied by Minelab. I'm currently using Seinheisser HD-280's but need to try some more to see what suits the QED the best.
A new power lead + battery pack is on the cards & I'm going to try some different audio - speaker as well as headphones.
Anyone got any suggestions on wireless that has worked for them without any issues on the QED? Want to check another wireless system to rule the Avantree wireless out completely or see if it has been another thing contributing to or causing the faint pulsing. Really want to keep using a wireless system.
Once these little issues are sorted I reckon it will be a great little detector. Already showing good signs when it's ran well just need to sort the operator out a bit too :lol: Wouldn't say it's a huge learning curve but it is different to what I've been used to. Every detector & detector set up has it's nuances so this is no different. I'm confident I'll get there with it.

Mbasko, the Oxygen Audio set I was using had zero problems until yesty. Prob if I use it again this weekend, it will be fine. But yeah, we want something to run 100% of the time. I tried using my mono extension cable off my 4500 and it doesnt work well on the QED. Too much noise. But on the 4500 its fine. So, no hip-mounting the control box for me! Just have to lighten the load by making a cable for the battery pack only. I will get around to making a camcorder battery setup too. Not getting rid of my TD80's either lol

Krisco said:
Mbasko, the Oxygen Audio set I was using had zero problems until yesty. Prob if I use it again this weekend, it will be fine. But yeah, we want something to run 100% of the time. I tried using my mono extension cable off my 4500 and it doesnt work well on the QED. Too much noise. But on the 4500 its fine. So, no hip-mounting the control box for me! Just have to lighten the load by making a cable for the battery pack only. I will get around to making a camcorder battery setup too. Not getting rid of my TD80's either lol

If you google Nenad Lonic's site Phase Technical He has some refurbished TD80's for sale , possibly last opportunity to get a spare set .

if not listed on this site google TD80's and Nenad's eBay site has them for sale .

Cheers
gold rat

The last time i had mine out .. i was experiencing EMI from my mobile .. when in close proximity to the wireless rcvr .. ...
keep this rcvr away from coil end and away from mobile devices ..
Just awaiting on another upgrade then will be out n about again ...

Tried mine over the last few days.
Upgrades worked well.
Although not wireless, I used a set of Phillips headphones from woolies and they were fine.
My Nokia speaker was a bit distorted. New modes worked well, and I'd defiantly be up for the auto GB.
Picked up some tiny rust, but no gold with either machine, 4500 as well.

Made up a couple camcorder batteries using DC connectors. Plus an ext cord for the batts as well. Using a small butt pack to house the batts in. Need to reduce weight at all costs due to my injury. Thats the reason I chose the QED to start with: low weight. :)
1502797346_wp_20170815_21_30_31_pro.jpg

I just use two 3.7v 18650 LI-ion batteries which lasts more than 6 hours. I carry a spare set which only takes a few minutes to swap over if needed. The total weight of the detector is less than 1.8kg. with 14x9 coil and find I can swing it all day without a bungy. Arm might be a bit sore the next day though. But a whole lot better than another brand I used to own.

1502849295_qed4.jpg

1502849295_qed5.jpg

Nice setup Petere. Is that a 14x9 EVO coil? Do you think its an advantage with the QED? Big outlay if it aint much better :/

Hi Krisco no the coil is NF advantage, was a leftover from previous detectors. I have no other coils to compare it with except for one I wound myself but have not bothered with that one at this stage.

Depends. They are very different detectors.

Ease of use - SDC initially but QED ok once you understand the settings etc.

Weight - QED is lighter. Very light in fact

Coils- QED can use a huge variety of mono coils. SDC stuck with 8" mono unless modified

Sensitivity - the SDC is unbelievably sensitive on small, shallow bits. Bread & butter gold is the SDC's bread & butter. It loves quartz &/or ironstone gold speccis. The QED with an 8" or smaller coil is no slouch either from reports. I'm yet to put a small coil on it & can pick up SDC sized targets with the Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Mono so I don't doubt it would go ok against the SDC with a smaller coil.

Ground - IMO the SDC will handle very harsh ground + variable ground relatively easier. The QED can handle harsh ground but there is some learning in set up to cope whereas the SDC is basically turn on & go. The QED can struggle in variable ground (or the user can trying to keep up with adjustment although it does get easier with more use) & with some specific ground types i.e. laterite.
The SDC is an auto ground tracking detector & it does a good job of it with minimal user input required. The QED is predominantly a manual ground balance detector but does have an initial auto ground balance option available but this still requires some fine tuning by the user.

A very good report mbasko especially the way you have described the workings of the QED.

The QED with an 8" ML mono and the bias set at under 50 can detect some "nuggets" and specimens down to and under .01gram based on the feedback of some users. It will detect some tiny nuggets and specimens that the SDC cannot see. These are mainly ironstone specimens and ironstone coated nuggets.

Heatho said:
AEGPF said:
It will detect some tiny nuggets and specimens that the SDC cannot see. These are mainly ironstone specimens and ironstone coated nuggets.

I'm sure also that the SDC will detect some tiny pieces of gold that the QED can not see as well. ;)
It would surprise me if the SDC didn't get a response on an ironstone specci. The majority I've found (some fully encased) were with the SDC & it sang on them. The only other detector I've found a near totally encased ironstone specci with was the GPZ.
I think there are certain types/shapes of gold that some detectors do better on than others. We seen this when the SDC first came out vs the GPX in areas. The test piece I'm using at the moment is about 0.23gram (QED manual suggests a 0.2gram test piece) but the QED will only pick it up well in modes 1 or 2 which aren't always usable. After about modes 4-5 the signal dimishes & dissappears but this of course is with the 11" coil so it still does pretty well really. Strange thing is it was picking up a smaller bit about 0.1gram better thru more modes so it must just be that bit of gold - trust me to pick the hard to detect bit out of the vial :lol:. It was found with the GPZ but I haven't tried it on an SDC to see how it picks it up.
I'm confident the QED is not missing much & the 11" still picks up SDC sized bird shot etc. although not as consistently - good reason to leave the smaller coil off it 8) damn the birdshot :lol: From what I've seen so far Heatho a QED with an 8", Sadie 8x6 or 6" coil would certainly give the SDC a run for it's money but I'm not prepared to say it would match or better the SDC just yet especially in hot ground. I think in ground where you might need to use a higher mode on the QED then that's probably where the SDC would win out.
Now I'm more comfortable with the QED set up I'll be looking to test the theory out with a Detech 6" mono I've got & will also be a trying a NFA 16" to see how it goes with something a bit bigger too. At the moment I'm really finding it hard to take the Detech 11" Ultra off though. Seems to be a good match.

That's a good post to put things into context Matt, would be interested to see how the QED would go at WF, that place always gives the GPX the wobbles, really interested to see how you go with it in hotter and more magnetic type areas.

As you said with the modes, having to drop down modes on the QED compared to just running the SDC in it's one mode is where I agree that the SDC will win out in the really hot soil. I'm not against the QED at all and I'm hoping it gives people the performance they want and expect. I just don't believe that it could possibly outgun the SDC on really tiny bits in really hot shallow ground. I know some people are really struggling with it in really hot ground in other states.

Anyway mate really looking forward to your future reports on how you go with it.

mbasko said:
Heatho said:
AEGPF said:
It will detect some tiny nuggets and specimens that the SDC cannot see. These are mainly ironstone specimens and ironstone coated nuggets.

I'm sure also that the SDC will detect some tiny pieces of gold that the QED can not see as well. ;)
It would surprise me if the SDC didn't get a response on an ironstone specci. The majority I've found (some fully encased) were with the SDC & it sang on them. The only other detector I've found a near totally encased ironstone specci with was the GPZ.
I think there are certain types/shapes of gold that some detectors do better on than others. We seen this when the SDC first came out vs the GPX in areas. The test piece I'm using at the moment is about 0.23gram (QED manual suggests a 0.2gram test piece) but the QED will only pick it up well in modes 1 or 2 which aren't always usable. After about modes 4-5 the signal dimishes & dissappears but this of course is with the 11" coil so it still does pretty well really. Strange thing is it was picking up a smaller bit about 0.1gram better thru more modes so it must just be that bit of gold - trust me to pick the hard to detect bit out of the vial :lol:. It was found with the GPZ but I haven't tried it on an SDC to see how it picks it up.
I'm confident the QED is not missing much & the 11" still picks up SDC sized bird shot etc. although not as consistently - good reason to leave the smaller coil off it 8) damn the birdshot :lol: From what I've seen so far Heatho a QED with an 8", Sadie 8x6 or 6" coil would certainly give the SDC a run for it's money but I'm not prepared to say it would match or better the SDC just yet especially in hot ground. I think in ground where you might need to use a higher mode on the QED then that's probably where the SDC would win out.
Now I'm more comfortable with the QED set up I'll be looking to test the theory out with a Detech 6" mono I've got & will also be a trying a NFA 16" to see how it goes with something a bit bigger too. At the moment I'm really finding it hard to take the Detech 11" Ultra off though. Seems to be a good match.

The secret to finding tiny gold with the QED is the use of the bias and a small coil. For small gold the bias should be set under the default bias value of 50. Set up this way some users have found gold that their SDC could not respond too and as a result have sold their SDC's. At the QED hot ground test patch at Howards house some small gold can still be detected at modes higher than 10 if the bias is set at under 50 and the appropriator vol for the bias setting. As for some people having trouble with very hot variable ground the update with the expanded mode will go a long way to overcoming this. One QED user is detecting ground successfully where he gets readouts of up to 163 a record so far for the hottest ground found so far with the QED.

Latest posts