Garnet gully proston qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking at heading to proston to get garnets again . But sadly I heard that the farm that I have been to before closed the doors to fossickers . I did some research noticed a deposit location called Garnet Gully near by . Has anyone been? Is it any good?

I used to live at proston and go to the diggings you probably did in the late 80's.

As far as I know,they are all closed,so you would have to convince the owner to let you on,which in this day and age is pretty unlikely. If you have any luck,let us know.

I worked in a geological company in that area. Proston property that you mentioned and the gully known as garnet did not occur there. Naturally, it was trucked in from nearby. I can't tell you where it was due to ongoing exploration of diamonds in that area but I can't And be with your luck. He did some fossaging on local creeks around that area. You may be lucky enough to find some topaz diamonds, and of course, garnets and other gemstones naturally occurring volcanic pipes that brought it to the surface a long time ago. Good luck! Happy prospecting

There is geology paper for proston for anyone who's thinking of going out there it's a magical place for gemstones. Best of luck
registered to say thanks for sharing mate, according to the report, the garnets originated about 17km SW of proston, my old man has 350 acres in that area, i just checked on google maps and coincidentally it is located 17km S-SW of proston!! the stuart river flows through the property, however there is old dry creek beds higher up in the property and interestingly theres a quartz vein that runs through the property, so we always supsected the possibility of gold, now i am wondering if there's potentially garnets or even diamonds on the property haha! i dont often get out there but worth having a look all the same! cheers

Latest posts