Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to agree with all the advice given. Just listen hard and push that coil on the ground...not too hard just scrape the dirt. You will have a spare cover for it. After using take coil cover off and clean. Put tape on batteries to take up any slack not too much or they will jam. Use the headphones ! dig every target. You will get sick of digging rubbish but you never know what you'll find.

Cheers and good luck

Bloody ripper!
Well done young fella!
I'm glad you got a new one, saving a few hundred on a second hand one doesn't make sense to me.
Best of luck with the swinging mate :Y: :Y:

As far as i have heard once you know how to use this machine .you just bought the small gold vaccum cleaner of the forrest

Lucky you, Good luck with it mate. I don't have one so no sdc specific advice from me except the usual, "Low and slow." Hope you find heaps with it and look forward to the pics of your finds.

Like someone said make sure u r wearing that skid plate out if u r finding buck shot u r in the league dont get dis hearted money well spent re. owner of 2300,5000,7000

Congrats on the new machine. Hope you find heaps of yellow stuff.

The SDC is an awesome piece of technology and so easy to use. Me being a newbie I found it great. It has found me 98 small pieces of SA gold. I have worn out the original skid plate, and on the weekend the 'heavy duty' one gave way too.

Like others have said, go low and slow, overlap coil sweeps, dig everything, do noise cancelations until humming, ground balance often, wear headphone, and did i say go low and slow.

Most of all have fun.

I have done a bit of reading on the SDC2300 and they sound great, especially for the beginner (ie myself). I just need to justify it to the other half, lol.

Great machine Fishing for gold..don't be scared to scrape that coil on the ground..it certainly makes a big difference..low and slow ?..Not all the time..Fast and low covers a lot more ground when you are out looking, looking for a patch..The more ground you can cover can increase your gold ..It is very easy to waste precious time on non productive ground, the day goes so quick..When you find a bit or in an area with detector holes that is the time to go low and slow..The 2300 doesn't punch that deep so I always run on max depth 5..The speaker vol is not that loud on a 2300, but on 5 the speaker vol is louder, so I don't use headphones..Headphones aren't much good with hats ,hot to wear in summer, and restrict your movement..If you get a couple of magnets on your pick to pick up any steel bits just a couple of scrapes saves a lot of tome digging rubbish..lead unfortunately is not magnetic..Try to get a scoop which is a bit squarish ..backhoe buckets are square for a reason..these round scoops only scrape the ground in a very small spot..all these things help you get the gold quickly and on to the next one..Good luck with your hunting..

Generally gold will be a softer signal than a pellet. If you have sensitivity high it can be too noisy and you will miss soft gold signals. My advice is use a small test nugget. About 0.10 grams. Play with your sensitivity and threshold and set the machine up to hear the test nugget clearly in the area you want to detect. Remember the EMI and mineralisation can vary in areas. So set your machine up to suit the conditions on the day. Noise cancel often as well.

Sorry Ned but I don't agree with much you said..I have found gold and lead sound identical most of the time..Your machine will have more background noise when running on 5, that is because it's hitting the ground harder, going deeper ,and when you go over a target you won't miss "soft gold signals," it will jump out at you..background scatter won't mask any target signal..Mineralisation..The 2300 is constantly adjusting for this and I Never ground balance..regardless of where I am..

G'Day....I 'am thinking about getting a sdc 2300.....have been crevicing and sluiceing for 5 or 6 years now it time to try detecting....any feed back on the sdc. would be great...thanks William

Great machine, waterproof, easy to use, pick it up turn it on an go pretty much. Sure frequency scan takes about a minute but often you don't even need that. Kind in very hot ground.
Disadvantage a little bit heavy, does not punch as deep a some other machines, armrest and batteries need minor modification and they have no discrimination.

What is with discrimination?

How can you discriminate a gold target under a piece of iron.

Best moto is dig everything. Good exercise and helps to clean up.

SDC is great. I would recommend you get a cover for it and loop the headphone cable through it so as to not put stress on the crimp connection on the headphone socket. These are known to fail, and until I got a cover I had 2 headphones fail within 1 month. Since using the cover it has been perfect. Also protects your genuine minelab hologram on the bottom from getting scuffed up.
As said above, besides some battery issues, easily fixed and the headphone plug, they are bulletproof.

I also don't mind the armrest, its collapsible so sometimes it can be dicky getting arm in, but nothing major.

Latest posts