Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys ended getting a brand new 705 dual pack that a guy had won and didn't want it for $500. Tried it out for 20mins on the beach today and found my first coin, now just to read the manual and understand what I am doing.
1502448885_image.jpg

Well done on getting your first detector. The 705 is a great machine.

Now you have your detector if you are going to be doing a lot of beach detecting look into getting a sand scoop. It will make finding your targets much easier

Great questions and answers. I too are looking to get my first real detector, and the 705 was on my short list.

Great forum and what sounds like a very welcoming community. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Thanks.

Ben Waters JP

I've heard here in Vic it's now illegal to detect on some beaches..
F*&^ckin Nanny state

Im in the market for my first detector. Im looking for something that will get me into the hobby, I think Id be looking for coins (old and new), other old relics, jewellery rather than gold. I live in Brisbane and due to time constraints with travel would spend most of my time either local or up to an hour away. I imagine parks and beaches is where Id go for.
Ive read many posts on this forum and others, manufacturers website etc.. and going round and round in circles with all of the information out there.
Just wondering if I can gain a few more thoughts
i) From what Ive read, the more you spend the better the machine but what would be a good starting machine which would last me a couple of years whilst I figure out if this is an occasional hobby or the start of something more involved. In my head I have a max budget of $500 but if it is worth increasing that then Id consider it especially to avoid having to shell out for an upgrade soonish

ii) With detectors marked as dry sand only, can you use them on wet sand at all with poor results, or is it an absolute no no (e.g corrosion issues etc..)

iii) Anyone got any thoughts / experience of buying via the net vs a store. Obviously it seems cheaper over the net but Im guessing a good store would give good advice, bit of set up tips etc. With that in mind, can anyone recommend any good stores in the Brisbane area from personal experience?

iv) Anyone have any advice on good locations to start detecting as a beginner. I dont expect people to divulge specific locations but more the type of locations that are typically more productive e.g. old parks, busy areas, quiet areas, beaches above high tide or busy thorough fares etc.. How do you select places? What about any absolute no no like dont dig up the 18th hole of the local golf club.

v) Is it realistic to expect to find good stuff? I dont expect to find hidden treasures, but picking up a few old coins would be interesting and fun.

vi) What sort of budget should I allow for accessories and which are essential vs nice to haves? Would a pin pointer be something to get from the start or can you get by without one

vii) Any particularly good books for a beginner? Any particularly good websites that people would recommend

Sorry for bombarding with questions, but having read this site and a few others, Im pretty excited about the thought of getting a machine and having a crack.

"v) Is it realistic to expect to find good stuff? I dont expect to find hidden treasures, but picking up a few old coins would be interesting and fun."

Check out this topic..... Some finds with the xtera 70 and xtera 305, by Rockhound https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17061

"good stuff" happens! Many years ago, I personally found 2 sovereigns walking home from school one afternoon, swinging the nastiest Tandy Metal Detector from the 1980's. Imagine what you would find with the 705 in the right spot.

A friend of mine from the UK recently discovered somewhere in the region of $12,000 of Romans, while looking for old water pipes on his property.

I imagine parks and beaches is where Id go for.

Well you off to an excellent start narrowing where and what you want to detect helps to quantify a proper response.

i) From what Ive read, the more you spend the better the machine but what would be a good starting machine which would last me a couple of years whilst I figure out if this is an occasional hobby or the start of something more involved. In my head I have a max budget of $500 but if it is worth increasing that then Id consider it especially to avoid having to shell out for an upgrade soonish
Reply: Having the best can complicate matters as well, more options can have you in overload mode trying to figure out how the machine works.
Between 500-1000 will give you many options. I always think a good second hand machine can help test the waters and save on retail....but only if you know what you want. Stick with the hobby long enough and the gains under the coil will help pay for upgrades given a long enough time line and good ground. Again if you bought high end (deus, ctx, etc) and decide to give up detecting and sell you can quickly compound losses compared to say an ace, at pro, 705, etc.

ii) With detectors marked as dry sand only, can you use them on wet sand at all with poor results, or is it an absolute no no (e.g corrosion issues etc..)
Reply: Case by case but the manufacturer will recommend the right detectors for wet sand...if you think you'll be on the beach get one that can do both, if new the warranty will cover any failures due to beach detecting, if not then well you're rolling the dice.

iii) Anyone got any thoughts / experience of buying via the net vs a store. Obviously it seems cheaper over the net but Im guessing a good store would give good advice, bit of set up tips etc. With that in mind, can anyone recommend any good stores in the Brisbane area from personal experience?
Reply: Can't help with Brisbane outlets but I like the idea of a recognized store or seller. Warranty and servicing, and supporting someone who sells for a living are excellent reasons to consider from a store. Blokes like Clegy and Nenad are trustworthy sellers without a store front, so they do exist, but as there are always unscrupulous people out there (Hi Brad!) buying from a recognized seller will give you peace of mind. Guys who stay in business wI'll always go a little extra to help out and are the safest bet. However there are many good second hand detectors out there that doing the usual checks to establish they are genuine is still important.

iv) Anyone have any advice on good locations to start detecting as a beginner. I dont expect people to divulge specific locations but more the type of locations that are typically more productive e.g. old parks, busy areas, quiet areas, beaches above high tide or busy thorough fares etc.. How do you select places? What about any absolute no no like dont dig up the 18th hole of the local golf club.
Reply: Beaches are good, no turf to attend to. Start practicing in abandoned blocks, rural paddocks, your own backyard until you have the skills to attempt parks and other sensitive areas. Beware all those that love grass (Aka Grass Nazis) being careless or poorly skilled does not help our cause, not only will you eventually run foul of authoritis like local council etc, it makes it harder for everyone else. Stepping straight into manicured parks, reserves, sports ovals, whilst still a newbie is foolhardy at best and reckless at worst. After practice there will always be some areas off limits (historical areas, areas where council bylaws state no detecting, government land, etc) but once skilled there are endless places to go. Chipbark playgrounds are a great way to cut your teeth and get some returns and build confidence in your ability to detect.

v) Is it realistic to expect to find good stuff? I dont expect to find hidden treasures, but picking up a few old coins would be interesting and fun.
Reply: Go to Members Finds page here on this site....Everyone has picked up some treasure at some point. It will also help you understand the "finds" journey you about to get a start on. If that doesn't inspire you nothing will.

vi) What sort of budget should I allow for accessories and which are essential vs nice to haves? Would a pin pointer be something to get from the start or can you get by without one
Reply: I would 100% recommend a pinpointer, it will help you be much more precise over the short and longer term, faster recovery of targets and less damage. Knowing where to dig will save you time on the learning curve. I would be lost without mine.

vii) Any particularly good books for a beginner? Any particularly good websites that people would recommend
Reply: This one is a great start...Once you select a detector it will be easier to guide you. There are many great books but all the info is on the net free of charge with an Internet connection.

Sorry for bombarding with questions, but having read this site and a few others, Im pretty excited about the thought of getting a machine and having a crack.

I wish you all the best, personally I think it's one of the most rewarding hobbys (addictions haha) and great fun.

I am also wanting to buy a metal detector for first time for my 10 yr old son. He wants to find old coins and relics.

My budget is also under 500. I can only find 1 shop in sydney area called minelab they suggested the go find 40 etc. My son likes the garrett i 200 from seeing you tube videos. But there is no local shops to try a demo one out for the garrett in sydney.

Besides mine lab can anybody recommend any other good brands in the sydney area that has them on display to try b4 we buy.

Also can anybody recommend a particular model that is suitable for my son and what one to avoid or not waste money on.

I am hoping it will last him at least 5 yrs until he is experienced and ejoys doing it

Also is there any groups or lessons how to use one for kids his age.

looking to start metal detecting for fun.

since i dont know the use of a detector , i have been thinking about getting a beginner detector and starting off in parks, beaches etc.

with surface items or close to surface items like coins etc to get my skills up.

was thinking that the cheap units like jaycar sub $100 will not be great so maybe a garrett ace 250 might be a good start.
would be cost effective to get a second hand one i think.

id love some input from people already in the game.

the other unit i have found that seems popular is the
Minelab X-TERRA 705

it appears to be a better all rounder than the ace 250 i was looking at.

Hi, complete newbie here, looking to buy a detector for mainly gold, however interested in coins and relics as well. Don't really want spend for than $500

NewNugget said:
Hi, complete newbie here, looking to buy a detector for mainly gold, however interested in coins and relics as well. Don't really want spend for than $500

You will have to spend more than $500 to buy even the most basic machine that is capable of finding gold, and that's used price ! :Y:

Rick

Latest posts