Creswick State Forest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just got back from detecting at Creswick State Forest. Just west of White Swan Reservoir.

Highlights of the day:
1376201649_image.jpg

I found a few of these. Looks like they have been fired but were duds.

1376201269_image.jpg

Yippee! 1 cent :| The rest of the finds were the usual bullets and casings, with the odd ring pull thrown in.

This about the fourth time I've been in this area and haven't managed to find any gold yet. Today I tried out a CMOY headphone amplifier to improve the signal. It did make a huge difference, now I can pull out bullet shrapnel :/ I figure if I'm finding pieces of bullets then I must be doing something right, just not fortunate enough to wave the coil over any gold.

Has anyone else had much success in this area, or is it time to move onto another area?

Au

At least you got something ... i went out today but took flat batterys with me :(

Is the bullet the plastic type ? I used to find heaps of them when we did bushwalking for school out the back of Raymond Terrace (Newcastle, NSW), they were blank ones i think that they used for training. was pretty cool tho finding them when i was young.

has been a while since iv seen a 1cent but im sure ill hate seeing them when thats all you start to dig out of the ground on a trip out..

Yes, the bullets were hard plastic. Where I found the 1 cent, there was also 3 bullet slugs in the same spot next to a tree. Looks like some wanker decided to empty his trash bag before he left.
Then there was a hole about a foot in diameter and about 18" deep, with an old piece of mine material next to it. If I ever see the guy who dug it, he can thank me for filling it in for him :mad:

Plenty of other mine shafts in the area, 3 of them ran north-south about 30' apart. One of them was still about 20' deep. I ran the Eureka Gold on 60kHz over all of the mullock heaps but only got pieces of bullets.

Au

I rekon your in the right kinda zone there
I found a .85 piece up in the burnt area not so long ago.
All around that are has had some serious attention mate.
Try on the other side of the main back towards ballarat.
Get 2 or 3 gullies in and ya chances improve big time.
:)
Good luck

There's a book out on amazon.com called creswick forest gold maps that might help, i got myself a copy but still have to find time to go. I remember finding a 1.4 gram nugget just above Picnic Ground #3.

Yeah it's a blank round for the SLR (or other 7.62mm) you place a red attachment on the muzzle to create enough back pressure to operate the gas system so it reloads itself.
Can't remember what it was called, Marksman will remember, the 60 uses the same blank round but in links.

After Christmas I want to go for a week or so for a swing with my SDC in Creswick state forest. I heard a lot of the area at the picnic ground 3. Is it a good place for start? Or are there other spots recommended?

Latest posts