Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Number 3 seems to be my 5000 on gumtree.
A great machine and would be keeping it if not for the purchase of a GPZ recently.
It is in as new condition and has found some nice NSW gold.
As part of the deal a 6" Coiltek goldstalker (fully waterproof) is included.
Headphones are un used
11" DD coil is also un used
Detector has been stored in a gun safe and comes with original box and accesories.
Sweet baby jesus it was purring along last trip, outdid the sdc on numbers and weight
1502119281_image.jpg

Reeks said:
Number 3 seems to be my 5000 on gumtree.
A great machine and would be keeping it if not for the purchase of a GPZ recently.
It is in as new condition and has found some nice NSW gold.
As part of the deal a 6" Coiltek goldstalker (fully waterproof) is included.
Headphones are un used
11" DD coil is also un used
Detector has been stored in a gun safe and comes with original box and accesories.
Sweet baby jesus it was purring along last trip, outdid the sdc on numbers and weight
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1557/1502119281_image.jpg
Yes is deffinatly yours going by the photo. Hope you sell it good luck.

Hi Kosi M,

Detectors are a bit like cars or fishing rods. If you own a particular type or brand, you are happy to sing the tune in relation to your beast (especially if you are happy with it) A few months ago I was in your position and had narrowed my choice to a second hand 5000 v a new 4500. I made my choice (5000) and now have no option but to stick with it. Right or wrong, it is now the detector that I use and it works well. We sometimes look through rose coloured glasses and for that reason I won't give a verdict on my choice. I will say that I have swung both machines (the 4500 only briefly) and would happily use either with confidence. I personally don't think there is much between the machines performance wise but paying two grand extra for a couple of extra settings is a bit over the top.

Where I detect, operating in Normal will do your head in most days. I can use it in this setting from time to time but the hot rocks and the red ground generally send me insane. Most of the time I run in Fine Gold. It picks up small targets well from depth and the machine purrrrrrrrs like a kitten. Sometimes, when it gets a bit cranky, I'll drop it into Enhance and the machine will talk to me again. I have found that in Enhance the signal is a little more on the mellow side compared to Fine Gold and there is a very slight loss in depth.

Now my story from yesterday. I was out in the wind exploring some old diggings that I had not detected before. I was in Fine Gold as it was the best option I could come up with for that area. I got the faintest of tweeks in the threshold when detecting over a mound and almost dismissed it. I had to talk myself into kicking away two inches of leaf litter to make a closer inspection. A faint but clear signal was then evident. At that particular point, I would have also picked the target signal in Enhance. Can you see where I am going with this? If I was initially in Enhance, I would not have picked a change in the threshold and would therefore have walked over what was the only piece of gold for the day. Yesterday was an example of the subtle difference between two settings. By the way, the gold was recovered from a depth of one hand span. Add the depth of the leaf litter and it's not bad depth for a small chunk of gold. (Using a 12" Evo)

P.S. I would have recovered all the trash that I found yesterday if I was in Enhance. Lol.

I am sure that you will be happy with any of those machines. I would take option 2 personally.

Cheers

Les

KM
The following link has a recent video comparing the 4500 and 5000 with Evo coils. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22971
You can decide for yourself, but I certainly heard the 5000 in Fine Gold gave a slightly crisper louder signal. However, Fine Gold being more sensitive will only be used when the ground conditions allow it.

I get out with two other PA members. One has a 5000, the other an old 4500 and I have the new 4500. From what I see with my mates it really comes down to the luck of either one of us walking over the gold. We have compared the two 4500's with buried test nuggets and different coils but couldn't see a difference.

As indicated by the chart BigWave put up Fine Gold is more sensitive, but the reality, in the Vic GT, is that it may be too sensitive, especially with the new Evo's and Elite coils. I certainly can't run in normal and I always run in Enhance. Even in Enhance you have days when sensitivity is problematic, especially in the wet. So Fine Gold would only be used when ground conditions allow it. I'll leave it to others with the experience to comment on using Fine Gold in the Vic GT.

Good luck with your informed decision.

Cheers

Thank you for all the advise. I am now more confused then ever :Y: I am leading more towards a 4500 or a very good deal on a second hand 5000. One other question i have is, in question is a 4500, there are units out there which comes up as australian made but a U.S export model. Does anyone know of this? Made in Aus but for export to the U.S.

I recently had the same issue - 4500 new or used 5000 interstate, nothing local. I decided the most important thing was my investment security so did not risk buying used interstate - got the 4500 new and after a 2 weeks still happy.

cheers
Keith

I bought my 5000 second hand and got a heap of extras, four coils, extra battery, audio booster, bag, cap, pick, extra shaft and added a 12" Evo coil brand new. All up $5000. The detector is out of warranty but I am most happy. Like you I tossed up on the new 4500 but I could not be happier with my final decision. Taken it out twice and got gold both times.
I did a days training with Ray Hall from Gold Advanced Training and worked with a guy who had a brand new 4500 with the standard coils in a fine gold area. He could not hear the gold we located with the 12" Evos.
I think no matter what you get invest in a good coil to run on it as well.

Hello.

I currently live in SA, relatively new to prospecting, I'm looking at getting my first unit. I want too look for gold in SA ( aware there isn't much ) but also want to do trips to Vic and WA, already downloaded Geo Vic and all the live/pending tenements in WA. Whats a good unit to choose.. GPX 4500 or GPX 5000. I dont really want too stretch the budget to a GPZ 7000. What coils would you recommend and would you buy new or used?

Any help would be appreciated. :Y:

Very little difference that I did not worry about.
https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/the-gpx-5000-compared
For coils, I would learn how to use the machine before delving into
obtaining an arsenal that we all do in the end. LOL
The deal in our classified section is a real bargain.
The GPX 4500 and 5000 are a great detector and you will go through
a steep learning curve.
Finally, do not doubt the supplied coils,
They are very effective.
Just weigh up on how many times you are going to get out and about
over the cost difference.
You will not be disappointed.

Brad l have owned both the GPX 5000 and the 4500.l would choose the GPX 4500 every time.

BradCorrie
This is a bloody good question that I myself have been trying to answer over the last month. I recently sold my near 3 year old 4500 which Ive found plenty of gold with, both in the Vic GT and Forsayth FNQ. Its been a great machine.
I really dont see any advantage in having more graduations of Rx so in my opinion I see this as a non benefit feature. Ive never been in a situation of thinking I wish I could go between one Rx level and another.
The Fine Gold timing I think would be a bonus in certain ground, but not necessarily in the Vic GT where I mostly detect. I find most people use Enhanced in the Vic GT because of the highly mineralised ground. I doubt Id be using Fine Gold, that is more sensitive, as its hard enough to get good quiet stability in Enhanced.
However, in SA & WA Fine Gold I believe is a winner.
So the 5000 may be your best bet.
Id be interested to know why Sulphide would choose a 4500 over a 5000. If hes in the Vic GT Id understand. I dont think the extra money is worth it if youre predominantly detecting in the GT. I have been pondering this very question while working out the next machine to buy.
Let us know what you choose and why. Cheers

I used a borrowed 5000 and 2300 a mate loaned me who had both. I eventually bought the 4500 for myself and I find that the 4500 is a comparable detector to the 5000.
Have used it in the GT W.A and around NSW gold fields works well in all of them..for me , price was a factor in choosing the 45 over the 5 and with the deal being offered on the forum with all the included extras , you really cant go wrong at $3,300 for a recently purchased 4500..

Latest posts