GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try your normal settings with Patch Locate and the Sensitivity down a couple clicks, moans and groans should disappear.

PT how you do it that you can use Normal timing I don't understand. I tried it but it's just too noisy, can't get over it even with sensitivity down.Everything sounds like targets.The same issue I had with 5000, couldn't never use anything below Fine gold, anywhere and anytime I've used normal was just too noisy and I'd be digging everything and getting nothing....

Have to pick your spots, doesn't work everywhere. Patch locate definitely reduces the moans and groans you can get in Normal but it isn't going to get rid of positive sounding false signals.

PhaseTech said:
Have to pick your spots, doesn't work everywhere. Patch locate definitely reduces the moans and groans you can get in Normal but it isn't going to get rid of positive sounding false signals.

Yes locating a patch can certainly help but I've found turning down the CB can reduce the moans and groans as well ]:D

Moneybox said:
PhaseTech said:

Yes locating a patch can certainly help but I've found turning down the CB can reduce the moans and groans as well ]:D

CB??

Not sure when MoneyBox will be back to answer you Luke so I'll have a guess. I assume he means CB radio. I think him and his wife carry one each for communications. I assume it can be a bit disruptive to the Z.

Just a guess. By the way, I have a chuckle every time I see your avatar ;)

Hi all,

Prooz said:
I will be out this weekend to try the new update. What I don't understand yet, why run in Semi Auto? when we can run in Auto that is recommended.
Every one seems to be running semi auto in all the feed back i'm reading. Why? can someone explain this? Thanks Cheers

I came across to ask that exact same question Prooz.

I would've thought a new, or even just slightly improved type of GB mode on the Zed would be a big step forward from what it is now. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what it is, how it works or what it does differently to the current auto tracking/fixed modes. Even in the update patch notes it seems to be a small addendum at the bottom of the entire page talking about the new Locate Patch mode?

It's strange that JP hasn't had a video out explaining it as yet? <There's an opening there if interested Nenad! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
Hi all,

Prooz said:
I will be out this weekend to try the new update. What I don't understand yet, why run in Semi Auto? when we can run in Auto that is recommended.
Every one seems to be running semi auto in all the feed back i'm reading. Why? can someone explain this? Thanks Cheers

I came across to ask that exact same question Prooz.

I would've thought a new, or even just slightly improved type of GB mode on the Zed would be a big step forward from what it is now. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what it is, how it works or what it does differently to the current auto tracking/fixed modes. Even in the update patch notes it seems to be a small addendum at the bottom of the entire page talking about the new Locate Patch mode?

It's strange that JP hasn't had a video out explaining it as yet? <There's an opening there if interested Nenad! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

went out for a couple of days, ran in semi auto but still not sure. My thoughts are does semi auto hold a more steady ferrite balance? If so that would make sense.
Any thoughts? anyone.

Regards Prooz

Further down the post is from the Minelab brochure re: the new update - which you have probably already read.

My (basic) understanding is that the semi auto mode will now hold your original ferrite balance from the start of a session and keep it there - essentially negating the need to re: ferrite balance (I think). And the ground balance will maintain approx 20% of your original balance data but continuously update the other 80%.

Now when we ferrite balance at the start of the day with the Quick Track it takes in the ferrite from the ring but also from the surrounding soil. And this is where I am a bit confused too because wouldn't we want the machine to continuously adapt to the changing conditions as we move across the ground rather than stick with the one little window of ground that it was ferrite balanced over to begin with? I would understand if the Z was ONLY seeing the ring during Quick Track but it sees ground also.
So I guess I am in the same boat - I understand what is happening with the new update but I am not entirely sure what the benefit is or where you would apply it.

Maybe that's why it says it is "useful for experienced users" :/

PT and JP, etc will hopefully help. And if any of what I have written above is wrong feel free to correct me :D

"In Semi-Auto mode, the Ground Balance is automatically adjusted during detecting, however Quick-Trak must be performed manually. As in Auto mode, Quick-Trak with the yellow ferrite can be used to
speed up the automatic ground balancing process.
In this mode, the ferrite-component balance is fixed at the users desired level. This can only be changed by performing a manual Quick-Trak.
Ground balancing with the yellow ferrite placed on the ground is imperative in this mode."

1502201043_image.jpg

Cheers Northeast!

Yeah, I sort of understand what's going on now, though still not confidently enough to be %100 certain.

I initially thought it would be a change that would allow us to quick track with the trigger button without dumping all previous GB data. If that's the case, or it's something similar to that procedure then it should be fine.

On the last trip away I think I only used the ferrite three or four times over a five week period, but that may simply be down to becoming somewhat more comfortable on the machine with a bit of experience under the belt.

I'll get to test it out properly on the goldfields soon enough, though having a bit more as you say info would be real nice.

All the best,
Shauno.

I wonder if I might have answered my own question - "useful for experienced users". If I can't work out WHY I should be using it, maybe I shouldn't be using it :lol: :lol:

I think Minelab could do a lot more to explain their technology, settings, benefits under specific detecting circumstances to help the less technical people who do want to understand, me inclusive. This goes across all their machines. I've tried to read their technical explanations but just don't get some of it. The more we understand the better we'll adjust our detectors and the more gold we'll find which will only help them sell more machines ........ Minelab, I hope you're watching and listening to your customers. I've a marketing back ground and it's called 'voice of the customer'. Give customers what they want, within reason. This matter can't be that hard. Enough ramblings. Cheers

Thanks Tryhard, I am not sure where I read it but I thought they said it was going to come out in two months, about two months ago.

I got my first ever Detector on Tuesday a GPZ7000, Tested it out in a trashy area first to learn the settings and different signals, found it easy to use and very interesting aswell, so then i drove to a secluded spot and found two Nuggies in one hour, quite happy with my first attempt.
Got out to an area today the old timers worked many years ago and found some more with best settings in this area being Semi auto,High Yield,Difficult with sensitivity down to 6.
Dolphin.
1504175007_gpz_7000_001.jpg