Silverstone All Terrain tyres, any good??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the 100,000 km is of no interest to me as I only do around 10k a year on my 4x4, my BFG M/T were on the ute for 5 years and started going "off" about 12 months ago, I could loose the back end pretty easily if I tried in the wet but they were great for the first 4 years I had them, they still had about 50% treat when they left yesterday.

I'm probably similar to you LW in that I'd buy new tyres every 5 years so that was the main reason for asking about the Silverstones, I really don't care how much tread is left after 5 years as long as it's been a good 5 years.
I may give a set of Silverstones a try and if they fail within the 5 years due to lesser quality I'll go back to BFG's.
From what I've read and heard BFG A/T were made in Malaysia a while back and Silverstone is from the same factory/building and kept the tread pattern plates. Not sure if the compounds are the same but there seems to be a pretty good rap for them from the limited reviews on 4x4 forums so I'm willing to give them a go as see.

Can't recommend BFG KO2,s enough!
Doing 3-4/point turns with a trailer on tight tracks, means pushing into the bush a bit blind, hopeing not to stake a side wall. Since running BFGs, KO, and the KO2,s, I have not had a puncture yet!
Previously, I had another brand...."Y"s , and had several punctures and a side wall.
I'm sold on the BFG,s. There are better tried patterns out there, they do well on and off road, and are quiet tyres.

Arrrr.......Dave, you buggers are making it hard for me to be a tight arse :lol:

I'll stew on it for a couple of days, I know in my heart I should just go the BF's and be done with.

Probably answered my own question in that last sentence too :|

I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my new '03 Sahara, I'm between employment and have 9 weeks off, another 4 weeks to go before starting back and I pick up this Sahara on the weekend, it needs tyres and that's about it from a RWC point of view but it only has the 1 battery, 4.7 V8 petrol auto, decided to go comfort in my ageing days (48) but probably more laziness, I want to get a dual battery setup asap so I can get a couple of trips in before I head back to work.
I'm so used to having the ute with dual battery and pretty well set up for anything, my main issue is spending big dollars on BFG KO2 tyres will leave me short for the dual battery setup until I get back to work, I'm worried if I head out for a few days with the fridge and 160w solar panel that if it's overcast the whole time I need to run the vehicle daily to top up the battery and keep my mind at ease.

There lays my issue over how much I spend on tyres next Monday.

Pete a lot of the cheaper brands are just as good as the top brands, BFG's and Cooper's are the top two with the edge going to the Cooper's.

They sell the silverlines in OZ and they sell em here to so they must have something going for them,

ProspectorPete said:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my new '03 Sahara, I'm between employment and have 9 weeks off, another 4 weeks to go before starting back and I pick up this Sahara on the weekend, it needs tyres and that's about it from a RWC point of view but it only has the 1 battery, 4.7 V8 petrol auto, decided to go comfort in my ageing days (48) but probably more laziness, I want to get a dual battery setup asap so I can get a couple of trips in before I head back to work.
I'm so used to having the ute with dual battery and pretty well set up for anything, my main issue is spending big dollars on BFG KO2 tyres will leave me short for the dual battery setup until I get back to work, I'm worried if I head out for a few days with the fridge and 160w solar panel that if it's overcast the whole time I need to run the vehicle daily to top up the battery and keep my mind at ease.

There lays my issue over how much I spend on tyres next Monday.

Pete, I got my BFG,s on GE credit line 12 months interest free, with an ARB compressor thrown to sweaten the deal, Bob Jane's. That way, you can divide the cost of the tyres x 12 months, and pay em off at $100 bucks a month or so, $25 a week.

I'm hearing you Dave, I've just payed off all credit and loans apart from my mortgage with the package I got a few weeks back so now back on top of things with a few bucks left to spend, If I went the way of credit again I think I'd be shot as we made a promise to avoid it at all costs.
I like your call but it's not what I want to do, I'll do some sums this weekend and get some proper pricing on the tyres and dual battery system, as long as my RWC is minimal then I should be good to do the lot but it's not knowing what the RWC is going to be, think I'll just get the better tyres and if I can get the dual battery then good, if not then it'll wait a few more weeks and I'll pray for sunshine lol.

davent said:
Or you could get a kings 2kva gennie for $400 for battery charging?
They look great Dave, we will end up getting a gennie down the track a bit but dual battery system (deep cycle aux) with folding solar panels is the way I like and used to but definitely see the need and use for a gennie, I currently only really run 1 fridge and charging phones and camera batteries etc, in time we'll get 12v LED lights for the camper trailer but the old gas lantern and torch does us pretty good, slowly moving towards more modern conveniences and it was only 12 months ago we moved from swag on the ground under a tarp to getting an old off road camper, sleeping on the Q/S inner spring mattress is great but now I hear the wife talking caravans so she can cook inside, I think she forgets why we love to get away from the burbs every now and then.
Maybe I'm just too used to camping with minimal gear and the wife is a bit over it?

Hi Pete

Had Silverstone AT tyres on my Pajero.

Ended up with two slow leaks, split from the inside, on inspection a third tyre was close to splitting ( mainly HWY driving ).

Would not recommend.

Changed them to General AT tyres, got around 4 years out of them, but they are noisy.

Hope that helps.

Anthony.

ProspectorPete said:
davent said:
Or you could get a kings 2kva gennie for $400 for battery charging?
They look great Dave, we will end up getting a gennie down the track a bit but dual battery system (deep cycle aux) with folding solar panels is the way I like and used to but definitely see the need and use for a gennie, I currently only really run 1 fridge and charging phones and camera batteries etc, in time we'll get 12v LED lights for the camper trailer but the old gas lantern and torch does us pretty good, slowly moving towards more modern conveniences and it was only 12 months ago we moved from swag on the ground under a tarp to getting an old off road camper, sleeping on the Q/S inner spring mattress is great but now I hear the wife talking caravans so she can cook inside, I think she forgets why we love to get away from the burbs every now and then.
Maybe I'm just too used to camping with minimal gear and the wife is a bit over it?
Lol Pete, I know where you're coming from. I used to do the swag in a mozzie dome for years, a kero lantern filled with citranella oil doubled as a lantern/ mozzie repellent.
I got a 4m roll LED light, with a dimmer switch no less, for $40 from kings. Lights up my camp like the SCG. I just use either a Waco cool power 36amph or a 100amph AGM in a battery box with CIG lighter adaptor and a 3 way adaptor plug, and I can have light,run a fridge and charge the rector battery,phone,headlight whatever. Really versatile. Was going to get duel battery for the car, but now with the gennie, and 160w solar panel, I don't need to.

Sahara went in yesterday for RWC and I said to the factory owner I'll try a set of the Silverstone 117 AT's only if he can get 2017 stock, they called back in the afternoon to say they couldn't get the Silvers in my size 275/65/17 so I ended up with the BFG KO2 after all, fate decided for me in the end so I'm happy now.
Tyres and 2 number plate globes replaced and RWC done, ready for a camping trip to the Murray River this weekend fishing for big Winter Cod then a couple of small detecting trips in the next couple of weeks before heading back to work :Y:

1502156629_dsc09413.jpg

davent said:
Reckon you will be happy with the KO2,s Pete.
Yep, just a quick update as I've done a few trips now since getting them, 70% on road 30% off road and love 'em.
Nice and quiet on the bitumen and plenty of grip on the grave/dirt tracks and the few small mud holes I've been through have not seen me break traction yet, all without engaging the 4x4 button on the dash but as I said it's only been light off road.
Definitely glad I payed the extra for these :Y:

They are VERY VERY VEEERRRYY noisy on the road, hard to beat off road but there only worth it if you are willing to put up with the noise getting there....I wouldn't ever again, did I mention how noisy they are?. I also now have the BFG's they are not that good either, wear well but wonder all over the road due to the square edge and are bad on gravel road due to being very skatey, but they are quite.

Interesting review on the BFG's Rexmx450, wonder if the vehicle has anything to do with it and I say that because on my 100 series cruiser they are great, the vehicle feels very confident on gravel and very responsive to cornering on the loose stuff, first vehicle/tyre combo to give me this confidence.
On road the cruiser doesn't drift at all and super quiet inside, mind you I've just come from driving a 79 series cruiser ute diesel which was noisy inside and had BFG MT's so for me this 100 series Sahara is luxury.

ProspectorPete said:
Interesting review on the BFG's Rexmx450, wonder if the vehicle has anything to do with it and I say that because on my 100 series cruiser they are great, the vehicle feels very confident on gravel and very responsive to cornering on the loose stuff, first vehicle/tyre combo to give me this confidence.
On road the cruiser doesn't drift at all and super quiet inside, mind you I've just come from driving a 79 series cruiser ute diesel which was noisy inside and had BFG MT's so for me this 100 series Sahara is luxury.

I have to agree with you Pete regarding the BFGs. Just put my second set on my Prado, first ones did >120,000km and still had thousands left on them, but as they were 7-8 years old, I reckoned they deserved early retirement. Also handled well, not noisy and never had one puncture, with lots of mixed use including station tracks, lots of wire and bit of metal floating around in places. I reckon that the new set are likely to outlive me, but I hope not.

Rob P.

Rexrmx450 said:
They are VERY VERY VEEERRRYY noisy on the road, hard to beat off road but there only worth it if you are willing to put up with the noise getting there....I wouldn't ever again, did I mention how noisy they are?. I also now have the BFG's they are not that good either, wear well but wonder all over the road due to the square edge and are bad on gravel road due to being very skatey, but they are quite.

Interesting. I can't work out why you are having those problems. I do a lot of dirt road,gravel and slidy muddy tracks. I never find myself wondering all over the road. Gunn point road in the wet season is a bit like driving on ICR, the too layer is muddy dust and under that its pretty firm. Many many cars have cone to grief here, including me in my old bravo with yokahamas. I am more careful now, still occasionally feel it slip and slide , but no where as bad as I used to. Best thing is, I have never done a side wall on the BFG,s.....( touch wood) and prior to using them, I have done quite a few.

Latest posts