Tones melding?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently been digging 5c, and 10c pieces, when I expected them to be silver, or copper. Have a theory, that I am liking these signals, due to fullness of them being coins, combined with high tone ferrous in the soil.

So are you saying that when a lower denomination coin is co-existent with rusty iron, it is coming back with an abnormally high tone? Or are you just digging any repeatable coin sized targets in areas with lots of iron, regardless of the tone (which is what I do)?

Goldpick said:
So are you saying that when a lower denomination coin is co-existent with rusty iron, it is coming back with an abnormally high tone? Or are you just digging any repeatable coin sized targets in areas with lots of iron, regardless of the tone (which is what I do)?

I am digging these coins, having higher tones than they should. Its only been in the last few weeks, and on different sites.

It's the weather, lol, pull tabs been coming in as high tones too. 8)

This happened again today, I dug a high tone 5c lol It was in the same hole as a rusty bottletop. The 5c is giving a smooth sound, the bottletop raising the pitch. They were to close separate, even at reactivity 3.

Up scaling TID...nice to know this happens on the deus as well then. I believe this should be easy to check at what point the anomaly occurs, just do some air tests.

I find this happens on the Fisher alot, especially in coin spills. My theory (that could be totally wrong) is that as detectors are generally set for coin sized objects the signal projection around the objects meets in the middle as if the objects combined to deliver a target response, and I've seen this in my air testing. If I place a 5c piece on a 50c piece I get an averaged tone/TID, and less so if I place the 5c under the 50c but just next to the edge.

So on my screen I see 50...for 50c piece and 23/24 for 5c when they are on their own. When combined with 50c on bottom and 5c on top the response goes 50/40s/50, effectively giving the 5c a higher TID value.

If I place the 5c under the 50c I get a 50/42/38 as it passes from the 50 to the combined edge, but never gets to the lowest TID of 23 for the 5c.

As the targets are too close to the recovery point the detector "averages" the response based on the detection signal and response constraints of a coin sized object. Basically it's completely repeatable in both air testing and in ground scenarios. Maybe this hasn't helped but its certainly a consistent response in the F75 and I'm willing to accept in the deus this can also occur.

I had good targets the other day that had no signal other than pinpoint noise ,.... and they were silver ,.... just the weather making a difference again lol. :D

When you say weather silver do you mean like climatic weather like temperature or something else that's effecting the signals?

That change of season weather where we get lightning and thunder as we change from hot to cold/cold to hot ,.... so I might go with mineral electrical/watertable field type thing. ;) ;)

Latest posts