Coin 1867 One Penny

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick64

Michael Ortiz
Reaction score
1472688715_coin1.jpg

1472688715_coin2.jpg

detecting over some old farm land and came across this penny. Picture doesn't show it justice as it's in really good condition. It has a funny smooth feel to it, not like a normal penny would, it's as though it feels lacquered...does this sound right?

Mick

Jaros said:
Well found. As above -good looking coin. Have you got the farm to yourself to prospect?
Jaros

A mate of mine has permission. Old bullock trains used to run through it and camp the night by the river flats. Lots of junk but a few coins and relics have been found. Still a lot more work to go on it yet.

That is in real good condition for sure, you can see plenty of details. It looks like verdigris has taken hold and put a coating over it. This is normally rough though?

The smooth texture may be because it was under pressure ie: in the ground so it was not able to grow outwards? Usually they get lumpy and only in sections, plus the fact it was probably watered ground or wet a lot of the time?

Certainly curious as to what has caused the finish, it would have been nice and shiny when lost.

I am soaking some coins in Olive Oil at the moment and it is removing verdigris well. Do not rub or try to clean with any abrasives.

Due to the condition it could be a pretty valuable find FYI.

Well done

Westaus said:
That is in real good condition for sure, you can see plenty of details. It looks like verdigris has taken hold and put a coating over it. This is normally rough though?

The smooth texture may be because it was under pressure ie: in the ground so it was not able to grow outwards? Usually they get lumpy and only in sections, plus the fact it was probably watered ground or wet a lot of the time?

Certainly curious as to what has caused the finish, it would have been nice and shiny when lost.

I am soaking some coins in Olive Oil at the moment and it is removing verdigris well. Do not rub or try to clean with any abrasives.

Due to the condition it could be a pretty valuable find FYI.

Well done

Thanks Westaus, the ground it was found in would have had a lot of water over the years and was very moist, cattle grazing there now and right by an old river bed that must have been filled with water. This area also floods when they release water from the Hume Dam in Albury. It feels slippery, like talcum powder on there. All I've done is washed it in warm water to remove the mud, but that's all I'll do to it. A threepence was also found there and in very good condition as well

Mick

Hey Mick I love the coin u found! Have you found out a price? Just asking as I have just found one close to where you are but in Vic other side ...Cheers Shane

Hi Shane, no I haven't had a price on it as yet. I found it in Victoria (on the border NSW/VIC) A mate of mine has pulled many more of the same era out of the same spot tpo

Mick

Latest posts