First time find identification help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a first time fossicker and found this coin like item on the beach yesterday.
It is very thin and about the size of a 20 cent piece.
I'm nervous about cleaning it as its very thin.

Probably junk but being new to prospecting, I would like to ask for any advice from more experienced prospectors/collectors.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

1501804880_img_1379.jpg

1501804880_img_1380.jpg

Is there a sign of any letters or a minute fraction of any detail? Need some sort of clue to identify, but ive also got a few unknowns myself which are too far corroded to tell and usually very brittle especially around edges if thin

Unfortunately I think you will find that it is simply too corroded to be worth cleaning. Even if you do try cleaning it, I doubt whether you will find any markings - that's if it stays in one piece.

I reckon it may have been a penny at one stage, good luck with your future finds. :)

Yeah probably a penny, but maybe something real old, Spanish or something like that. But you will never clean that up enough to finds out. Best advice is to put it your glass showcase and tell everyone it's a Spanish Dubloon. I don't know if Spaniards had Dubloons, and I don't even know if that's how you spell it, but a great talking point. Good on ya mate.

Latest posts