Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good vid. Pretty much shows everything that I have found with the GM. Haven't played out of auto much but will start to.

About an hour over a real small patch this morning that I previously found about 20 speccies with the Z and the SDC and absolutely flogged it, yet picked up another piece today with the GM.

For the real short amounts of time that I am able to get out at the moment the poor old Z is staying at home and the GM is hitting known spots with lots of junk or tiny bits - and loving it :Y:

Hi GOlddigg@

Great video mate good to see some done by people that actually understand it!.
Sure are some shockers out there! There more of a Comedy Vid then anything else!!.
Keep them coming mate be great to see some more.

Cheers

Just a heads up for the monster users. I have a couple of refurbished td80 headphones up for grabs. These have a curly cord and angled 3.5mm plug - perfect for the gold monster.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232430065901

1501470427_20170731_122055-1.jpg

The higher impedance allows you to hear a bit of background hum, so you sort of get a very faint pseudo threshold :cool:

Doug, in the video Dustin mentions that auto sensitivity uses the sensitivity range 1-6.

From the minelab treasure talk about sensitivity it says -

"In Auto+, the detector still chooses the best equivalent of the 10 available manual settings"

and

"Where Manual 10 is the maximum level that can be user selected, the auto level selected mayrange above 10 if the ambient and ground conditions allow, giving a greater sensitivity than manual will ever be able to achieve."

Probably not super significant but Dustin's info not quite accurate (if I heard it right ;) ).

Best of luck at Western Creek :Y:

Goldigga - dont worry about it mate :Y: Vid was a good one and certainly shed a better light than the other dodgy vids that have popped up on YouTube lately. And you've encouraged me to take the step and play in manual a bit more. As a beginner VLFer I have been getting to know the machine in Auto.

Cheers ;)

Ni
PhaseTech said:
Just a heads up for the monster users. I have a couple of refurbished td80 headphones up for grabs. These have a curly cord and angled 3.5mm plug - perfect for the gold monster.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232430065901

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3149/1501470427_20170731_122055-1.jpg

The higher impedance allows you to hear a bit of background hum, so you sort of get a very faint pseudo threshold :cool:

Interesting i haven't played much with the headphones yet

The three amigos find the treasure! Arriba, Arriba! ndale, ndale! :D

I'm guessing they're somewhere in Mexico. It's very soily-looking ground to have nuggets scattered through it - I think they'd do better with rakes than that digger, which doesn't seem to be spreading the dug material well enough for effective detecting.

Hi All

Been a long time alluvial prospector but looking at giving a detector a run.

Was looking at a 705 duel pack as a good starting point but now am thinking the GM1000 might be the go ($1000 is about my limit )

2 questions

1. As I live a fair distance from my nearest gold area I am also keen to buy a detector that can manage a bit of coin and relic hunting to calm the urges between trips . Has anyone had a go at using a Gold Monster for Coin Hunting bearing in mind that it's main purpose will still be to hunt the yellow ? so I am willing to sacrifice ability on coins for a better machine on the gold but still don't want a machine that is useless at it !

2. My favourite haunt is Hanging Rock SF/Nundle . Has anyone detected this area before ? How is the ground mineralization there and would it be no good for a VLF ?

Cheers
Peter

Hello all

Well I did buy a goldmonster 1000 :D Thankyou Luckystrikegold.com.au for all your help

Now i havent done much with it yet.
I don't seem to be able to detach my sdc2300 from myself
Anyway
My brother Tony has given it a couple of goes..
One spot he cleaned up what gold he could with his gpx5000 and sdc2300
He managed to find two tiny pieces with the GM1000 there. one piece of gold with each coil..

He found the Discrimination worked well.. although this monster will ping the hot rocks.. this spot was full of
Hot rocks! It would tune some out after swinging a few times over the hot rock, some hot rocks persisted!!

Tony found the more he used the GM1000 the more he liked it.. he said if the sensitivity is turned up too far
It made the GM1000 noisy. He also found that at times if you swung too fast the GM1000 couldnt keep up.
Was no problem though, just slow your swing speed down. :D

As he was using it.. he noticed that he could tell what would be junk or not. Well almost :lol: those shotty pellets could even fool the GM1000 ..
we think it depended on the shape and size of those darn shot pellets
The rust at this other spot . we didn't put it in the thick of those tins and rust..

the discrimination worked really well. Where there was the odd larger rusty can or flakes of rust

Can you see the Gold??

More playing with it too be done..
would I use it full time.. no ... as i still prefere my PI machines
The GM1000 Is another tool for cleaning up where we know there is tiny shallow gold to be had..
Its lightweight, easy too use..

Part 2
Hi all

Well it was bloody freezing here yesterday.. the sun was nice, the darn wind cut through like it was coming straight off the south pole brrrrrr..
so we didn't detect lol

Today we did though
Took the goldmonster for a walk over near some of those tin cans and rust

Going through the old timers camp.. as you know over time thier tin cans travel far and wide
Tiny flakes of rust everywhere
Plus there was an blacksmith at this camp as well.. horse shoes and nails

I had first go with it
We didnt have it in discrimination mode.. using the 10x6 coil, on mild ground, granite sand, greenstone, quartz, and the odd laterite.. also just watched the gold side of the scale. The sensitivity set at 6
It liked a button.. pellets.. A bottle top.. an old bit of a light
When we swung it over the small bits of rust the scale went to the left.. so we knew it was junk..
We could see the rust as well lol
All i could get was the pellets and rust.. oh and the button

Then Mike had a turn
Walking around through the old timers camp. Nope reckons thats junk. More junk.. more junk.. oh look a big piece of junk.. a bully beef tin lol
Then he says.. have a different sound here... the gm1000 reckons this may be gold

" i said it reckoned the pellets were gold as well lol"0

it was Gold alright this time.. he found his first piece of gold with the GM1000 today a point 2 of a gram

I didnt take a picture of all the junk we dug up.. it loves those shotty pellets!

So we have the old bit of a light, from a car i guess. Couple of bits of lead.. a button.. the bottle cap, and the gold sitting on top of it.

For the $$$$ its not a bad little VLF machine

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, many parts of Nundle are just too mineralised for the GM. I was dealing with constant ground noise and picking up on hot rocks left right and centre, both in the auto and manual modes. You can dial back the sensitivity to make it run somewhat quieter, however in my opinion it starts to dumb the machine down so much that you might as well not bother.

In saying that there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the GM is a great detector for the price, in fact I was quite impressed with my air testing of small nuggets, but if you're wanting to run a VLF around Nundle I would be going with something in the lower frequency range with more functions to overcome such conditions.

Also, the GM is a no go when it comes to coin and relics due to it's high sensitivity and lack of discrimination settings. I spent 10 mins locating a thin match head piece of aluminium down at the local park, packed up and went home lol.

An AT Gold might be better suited to your needs, or even the new AT Max when it arrives next month.

Cheers,
Nugget

Latest posts