Australites - Childers Cove

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Trawling through the internet, and i came across a reference to being able to find Australites at Childers Cove, near Port Campbell.

Anyone ever been down there? I'm keen to check it out next time I'm down that way.

Thanks

James

Hey Outback,

Did you look on the beach, along the cliff wall? I've never been there, so any advice would be great.

Thanks

James

Yes James I checked out both tops & bottoms of some cliffs plus a few beaches , even asked locals ' most knew nothing but some said they remember a few being found over the years .

They are easier to find around Manna Hill S.A. But being protected you can't pick them up ! same as meteorites in that state 8.(

Jack.

Might be heading up there next weekend, so I'll get back to you if i find anything!

Good to know we can keep what we find .
Nice pic of the australite in that article , and Port Campbell is just down the road from Childers cove .

Current thinking is that tektites are not from space but earth matter thrown up from volcanic action and formed as they came back through the atmosphere .

As a kid 40ish years ago I heard about the australites at Childers cove and pestered my mum to take me out there . I looked along the cliff tops but didn't find any thing . I must go back one day for another look .
Good luck and let us know how you go

thanks brett

Outback said:
Sorry 'I thought NSW was the only state that allowed you to keep them :8

All good mate, I only knew because I did the rounds with my kiddies, Cranbourne, Murchison....I have a friend who found a piece of Cranbourne Meteorite on his property in Pearcedale, he sent it off to Melbourne Museum and they confirmed it as a Cranbourne Meteorite.....
I did ask if he still had it and he couldn't recall what he did with it... :Y: