NSW forestry fossicking maps - archived.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Forestry Corp used to have a useful page with PDF maps of every State Forest in NSW, with the fossicking areas marked.

These have been replaced with an interactive map that can be linked to from this page:

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking

(see the maps section at the bottom).

Anyway, the Internet Archive has helpfully stored away all the PDF maps, and these are a useful resource to print out on A3 and take into the field.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...ation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking#maps

Needless to say, if fossicking is permitted in a forest does not mean that anything is there to be found, so you need to use other resources to identify potentially interesting areas.

Also, remember to get a permit (see the first link).

DrDuck said:
Forestry Corp used to have a useful page with PDF maps of every State Forest in NSW, with the fossicking areas marked.

These have been replaced with an interactive map that can be linked to from this page:

http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking

(see the maps section at the bottom).

Anyway, the Internet Archive has helpfully stored away all the PDF maps, and these are a useful resource to print out on A3 and take into the field.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...ation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking#maps

Needless to say, if fossicking is permitted in a forest does not mean that anything is there to be found, so you need to use other resources to identify potentially interesting areas.

Also, remember to get a permit (see the first link).

Thanks Chris, I had downloaded most maps of interest before the Forestry removed their website PDF's, now I can get some missing ones.

Thanks! i didn't realise the changes made. i had also downloaded a number of maps prior to their archiving.

I am wanting the exactly good spots as to were to definitely get sapphires and maybe gold in the rivers and surrounding since rivers are really freezing and for a small car, thank you mud maps would be good to thank you guys and gals. maybe some numbers of people in the down low in area too. thank you. conta :rainbow:

Mod Edit
Hi and welcome to our forum.
Please note that we do not display email address's or phone numbers.
To your left you will see the email icon. That can be used to email a forum member
and when you hit 10 post's you will have access to Personal Messaging.

Good Luck.

Thank yo for the info Im hopeing with all the research im doing I will get some good maps to go near central coast but I thing have to travel to barrington I love it there anyway buts so big ansd with no 4wheeler Im confused and stressed Ill see if I can get near some good places to camp too. :party:

Hello all,

has anyone tried many state forests?

The closest ones for me (about 1.5 hours from home) are the Mittagong ones. I tried Jellore a few days back and found very sandy terrain (unlikely to find gold). Thinking of trying Belanglo.

Cheers

Belanglo will not yield gold, Mechmovt, and only isolated gold and gems reported around Mittagong (ie Southey's mine).

Are you panning or detecting?

The Mineral Resources of New South Wales by Edward F Pittman 1901
page 395
The Mittagong Diamond Mine
The late Mr C. S Wilkinson Geological Surveyor in charge reported in 1890 on the occurrence of diamonds in connection with a supposed volcanic pipe. The following is an extract from his report:- the diamond mine so called is situated about seven miles south easterly from Mittagong on a creek flowing into the Nepean river. Here there is a small isolated patch about 300 feet in diameter of fine and coarse pebble drift. The remnant of the bed of a stream which in the Tertiary period flowed across the Hawkesbury Sandstone formation. It was probably the old channel of the Nepean River before it had been diverted and eroded to form the present valley. The drift rests upon a stiff clay, which forms the surface of the pipe- dyke mass of volcanic breccia, intruding the Hawkesbury formation, For several years it has been more or less worked for gold, when, during the process of washing , diamonds were discovered. It is said they were obtained chiefly
from the stiff clay at the bottom of the drift. Mr Southey who with Mr Dunstan holds the ground informed me that thirty three diamonds had been found the largest weighing 2 carats I saw some of these diamonds which were chiefly well formed octahedra of the first water the other being a pale yellow colour. If systematic search were made here doubtless many more would be found. Whether the diamonds have been transported with the old tertiary drift from some formation higher up the Nepean valley or have been derived from the volcanic breccias on which the drift rests or from the Hawkesbury sandstones and shales where they have been altered by contact with the intrusive volcanic rock has not been definitely ascertained but it is probable that the breccias is their source. The breccia contains small fragments of coal and in some respects resembles the diamondiferous rock of the Kimberley field in South Africa
It may be mentioned that since Mr Wilkinsons report was written as attempt as made to prospect the breccia by means of a shaft. After sinking for about sixty feet. however a strong body of water was met with and the mine was abandoned.

A limited number of diamonds have been found, principally from a location
known as Digger's Creek, seven miles south east fro Mittagong. They were
found, with fine alluvial gold, in a patch of old gravels overlying a
volcanic formation. A few stones were also found in gravels near Kangaloon.
A general search in the Wingecarribee River had little success although some
sapphire fragments of fair size were recovered' Source: Hannan, F.
(ed)Gold , Minerals & Gem stones Localities of NSW.

Sorry I didn't see this early DrDuck. Thank you for that interesting read. We sure have a lot to learn from history.

I recently acquired a GM1000 (not the best, but its a start) and I was hoping to go out for a swing. I couldn't really see any over with other maps I have looked about, but the soil seemed interesting.

My BIL had the 'Pleasure' of Interviewing The Milat's during that time...He was one of the D's on the Case for a very long time.... Such a Charming bunch of 'people' they are... :rolleyes:

LW...

You can still find the state forest maps on the pages for the individual forests. I downloaded one today

mbasko said:
Whisp said:
Download to your hearts content, NSW State Forests fossicking maps

Just be aware that the web archive pdf's won't be updated.
To make sure you should still be cross checking them with the Forestry Corporation ArcGis map here:
https://fcnsw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=db08e563e1b6403fabde1ce901389fa2

I was aware of that, but thought I'd put the post up for those that have nothing at all. Consider it a starter on which they can build. Better than a whole lot of nothing.

Whisp said:
mbasko said:
Whisp said:
Download to your hearts content, NSW State Forests fossicking maps

Just be aware that the web archive pdf's won't be updated.
To make sure you should still be cross checking them with the Forestry Corporation ArcGis map here:
https://fcnsw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=db08e563e1b6403fabde1ce901389fa2

I was aware of that, but thought I'd put the post up for those that have nothing at all. Consider it a starter on which they can build. Better than a whole lot of nothing.

Cool. Now everyone else knows to so they don't end up with a whole lot of trouble.

Latest posts