QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
neddy said:
I would like to know how the machine goes at picking up porous prickly gold. This is the stuff the Gpx has problems picking up and the SDC is capable of finding. I am mainly interested in the QED capabilities in finding small gold at greater depth to SDC. The weight factor is a big thing for me so interested in a lighter alternative. Getting close to 70 got to think about self preservation. Then there's the other question is it better than gp3500. ???

It might be able to see small Gold but I very much doubt that it will match any of the GP/GPX machines when it comes to depth when the GP/GPX is right hands.

It really is too soon to tell because there are not many QED's out there so it might take a couple of months before the results are in So the QED needs to be given a chance to prove it's self.

So the qed could match or even exceed the gpx in some situations then?
So far in my limited experience, I can get more depth with my 4500, in some situations, but here is one for you, I can use my QED in places that I can't use my GPX. In which case, the QED will win in the depth stakes, no matter who,s hands its in.
I don't know why JP experienced ground noise. Maybe that area is just too hot, or some other factor, Im sure he understands any detector and trouble shooting in hot ground much better than i ever will. I managed to balance and use my QED today in an area where I just can't use my gpx, and even one of my mates has trouble with his zed. Maybe there is a trick to using the GPX on that ground, only one I know of is DD coil for the gpx, otherwise, the QED wins. Horses for courses RR.

Yeah, will be interesting to see if it finds prickly gold. I found a real funny bit a few months ago, it looked like a beautiful shiny black rock, with just a tiny bit of gold poking through the iron stone. When I gave it an acid bath, it was really prickly underneath, that was with my gpx and 14*9 evo, about 6" deep. 1.3 grams.

Mod Edit.
Comments removed.
Dave has struck out and is giving an unbiased opinion.
That is all we want to see.

Ok, a few posts have been removed, and a couple of mine also. Please don't take it personally.

We do not want WW3 on this forum. All we want are unbiased opinions as Davent has been doing, straight up and honest.

Thanks

davent said:
Yeah, will be interesting to see if it finds prickly gold. I found a real funny bit a few months ago, it looked like a beautiful shiny black rock, with just a tiny bit of gold poking through the iron stone. When I gave it an acid bath, it was really prickly underneath, that was with my gpx and 14*9 evo, about 6" deep. 1.3 grams.

Where you hunt davent,...is it an area known for prickly reef gold, or is it usually worn alluvial ground?

You say you found the ironstone bit, but do you also find quartz species?

I ask as, i have been told that for all the quartz around Tibooburra (yeah another field/state), gold is generally not found in association (stand to be corrected... :8 ), and wondered if your field is similar?

GGA

Sounds similar. The occasional quartz speccie is found, but not a lot. There does seem to be some reedy stuff in iron stone, but the majority is water worn.
I personally have not found a quartz speccie.There are some big quartz blows here, and I know the old timerrs did get gold with quartz, but from what I've seen, its mostly barren.

Ive only spent a total of 3 hours out with my QED so far and the 1st 2 was trying to work out the settings, coils preferences etc. Now that I have good advice and feel confident, I will be spending some good hours with it this week. Overall, its a very good machine for small gold and when set up right for big coils, it punches deep too! For the $$, its the best PI out there I feel.

Ridge Runner said:
Ok folks sorry about that, I jumped the Gun and posted Dougs Chart, Of which I should of asked, I since ask Doug for permission and I have apologized and he has Kindly said that I can post it,

Thanks Doug.

John.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3775/1486385427_test_results.jpg

After reviewing the test results in this thread that Ridge Runner posted back in February this year I thought I would check if my QED could match the test result in the chart on the $1 and $2 coins with my NF 12" Evo coil.

The test result in the chart for the QED with NF 12" Evo was 15" on the $2 coin and 17" on the $1 coin.

However performing the same test my best result with the 12" Evo after trying different settings on the QED was 12" on the $2 coin and 13" on the $1 coin.

Btw I also performed the same test with the 12" Evo on my 5000 in Fine Gold and I got the same result as displayed in the chart.

I felt at least by using both coins for my test comparison it negates any variables.

Unfortunately my QED could not match the QED result in the chart.

washgravel said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ok folks sorry about that, I jumped the Gun and posted Dougs Chart, Of which I should of asked, I since ask Doug for permission and I have apologized and he has Kindly said that I can post it,

Thanks Doug.

John.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3775/1486385427_test_results.jpg

After reviewing the test results in this thread that Ridge Runner posted back in February this year I thought I would check if my QED could match the test result in the chart on the $1 and $2 coins with my NF 12" Evo coil.

The test result in the chart for the QED with NF 12" Evo was 15" on the $2 coin and 17" on the $1 coin.

However performing the same test my best result with the 12" Evo after trying different settings on the QED was 12" on the $2 coin and 13" on the $1 coin.

Btw I also performed the same test with the 12" Evo on my 5000 in Fine Gold and I got the same result as displayed in the chart.

I felt at least by using both coins for my test comparison it negates any variables.

Unfortunately my QED could not match the QED result in the chart.

Could you tell me what were the settings you were using,ie gain,mode, bias, vol.

AEGPF said:
Could you tell me what were the settings you were using,ie gain,mode, bias, vol.

Unfortunately there is no mention of the settings used for those test results in the chart so can you tell me what those settings were, as you say Gain, Mode, Bias and Volume?

Then I will know and test again using those exact settings.

Thanks.

washgravel said:
AEGPF said:

Unfortunately there is no mention of the settings used for those test results in the chart so can you tell me what those settings were, as you say Gain, Mode, Bias and Volume?

Then I will know and test again using those exact settings.

Thanks.

I will endeavor to find out from Howard who is away at the moment. I would repeat your test again with the bias varied from 47-54 as I am unsure of the TC of the coins.If the coins have longer TC then the best response I would expect to be with the bias value higher than 50. The GB value will also critically effect the detection range as is the case will all null summation subtractive GB methods in the time domain.

AEGPF said:
I will endeavor to find out from Howard who is away at the moment.

Okay thanks so I will wait until you find out the QED settings that Howard used for those results on both coins.

Using the factory default settings on my QED of Bias 50, Volume 30, Gain 1 & Mode 3 with the 12" Evo coil I could only achieve 9" on the $2 coin and 10" on the $1 coin for a clear signal response and an extra 1" for a very faint response.

Maybe others out there with their QEDs could post their results on both coins as a reference for others such as myself.

washgravel said:
Using the factory default settings on my QED of Bias 50, Volume 30, Gain 1 & Mode 3 with the 12" Evo coil I could only achieve 9" on the $2 coin and 10" on the $1 coin for a clear signal response and an extra 1" for a very faint response.

Maybe others out there with their QEDs could post their results on both coins as a reference for others such as myself.

What was the gb set at? Are you using the speaker or headphones?

AEGPF said:
What was the gb set at?

Are you using the speaker or headphones?

What was the gb set at?
For my tests I first left the QED in the GB default setting of 100.
I then performed a GB and due to the hot ground the QED GBd at 145.
There was no difference in the results with either GB setting for both coins using the default factory settings.

I am using the Nokia MD11 external speaker and as you rightly said in your posting back on the 8th September in the QED users - how are you faring? by saying The QED audio was designed to be fed into an external amplifier/speaker eg NOKIA MD11.

I also did try headphones for my test with the same result but for me the Nokia speaker produced a better signal response.

As far as I am concerned my QED is operating without any issues other than I am unable to produce the same or similar result on both coins as displayed in that chart.

Hopefully you can post the settings and what type signal response Howard recorded for the depths he achieved on both coins for his results in the chart.

washgravel said:
AEGPF said:
What was the gb set at?

What was the gb set at?
For my tests I first left the QED in the GB default setting of 100.
I then performed a GB and due to the hot ground the QED GBd at 145.
There was no difference in the results with either GB setting for both coins using the default factory settings.

I am using the Nokia MD11 external speaker and as you rightly said in your posting back on the 8th September in the QED users - how are you faring? by saying The QED audio was designed to be fed into an external amplifier/speaker eg NOKIA MD11.

I also did try headphones for my test with the same result but for me the Nokia speaker produced a better signal response.

As far as I am concerned my QED is operating without any issues other than I am unable to produce the same or similar result on both coins as displayed in that chart.

Hopefully you can post the settings and what type signal response Howard recorded for the depths he achieved on both coins for his results in the chart.

To obtain the best results on the coins (or any conductive target) you must adjust the bias and the vol to give the best detection range. If you raise or lower the bias the vol will have to be decreased to give a stable threshold.
Here is an important question: are the coins giving a low or high tone in default factory bias settings? If they are giving a low tone (larger targets with longer Tc's) then to optimize the detection range the bias will have to be increased to more than 50. Conversely if any coins are giving a high tone(generally smaller targets with shorter Tc's) then the bias will have to be decreased to give optimal detection range.

Here is another thing to try.
For larger targets like the coins see what happens when you leave the bias(threshold B) at the neutral default value of 50 and increase the volume(threshold A) to get an audio threshold and increase gain to 4. If testing over the ground re GB after any adjustment.

Goodness me until you are able to obtain those settings for the results in the chart I will wait and see what Gain, Bias, Volume, and Mode was used.

washgravel said:
Goodness me until you are able to obtain those settings for the results in the chart I will wait and see what Gain, Bias, Volume, and Mode was used.

Try what i have suggested and see what results you get. What have you got to lose?
Please read the manual again so that you are totally familiar with the relationship between bias and vol and how to optimize these settings for small or larger targets.The way these work is totally different to any other PI and is crucial to getting the best results. Howard did use a gain of 4 in the test results and stands by them!!!!

Howard will be at the Laanecoorie Gold Bash and will happily demonstrate that the QED with the 12 EVO will detect the coins at the distances in the chart.
These are the settings he used when he repeated the test this morning using the external speaker.
Mode 3, gain 3, bias neutral and vol 52 on his QED. The coins both give a low tone. If you use headphones these distances can be exceeded if you listen just for changes in threshold pitch. The pitch change will trigger before a change in vol and for some targets the only indication is a change of pitch or threshold break.Dean at Goldsearch Dunolly does not worry about listening for changes in threshold vol but only listens for pitch changes.

Latest posts