Yabbie pump, long or short

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

If I was to buy a yabbie pump for crevicing, would you recommend the longer or shorter barrel?

My thinking is that a shorter barrel gives you a little more room to add attachments like a collection container or longer thin nozzle. But the longer barrel gives you more suction and material collection.

It's about $10 - $15 dollars difference in price between barrel size.

There is always the option of building one too, which is supposed to be even cheaper, but I've read on the forum that the yabbie pump is a pretty solid bet.

Thanks.

I went the big one, after using someone else's short one I found you need to bend over too much and work your back hard.
If you want to add stuff to it that's a different story.

It depends a bit on how tall you are too, I started with a long one then added a short nozzle to it.

Im average height about 5'9" so that was an okay height for me. After a few creeks that had holes too deep or water too deep in some cases I decided to make a longer attachment for it which works most of the time.

The downside now is that the longer one even without attachments still sticks out the top of my pack whereas if id started with a short one it would fit inside neatly but would limit how deep I could go.

Have thought about making a short one out of pvc to lighten the load when testing in a new area too- maybe ill get to that project one day :p

Hope this helps,
TGW.

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't think about having to bend down, nor fitting it in my pack. Both things to consider!