QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Would anyone know if the supplied ferrite suppressors are a particular size & a "special" type or just a run of the mill one? $20 for 2 at Goldsearch but $5 for 2 on eBay from an electronics supplier. Need some more so I can just leave them on each coil.

The ferrite suppressors were the ones recommended and supplied by the person that did the EMI compliance testing of the QED.

Krisco said:
Dave, did you send your QED to Howard at his Redan PO box? I think I will take him up on the firmware update :) Thanks

My mate sent mine with his, so don't know the address, sorry.

I have a few Coils with those things on the leads but I am not sure if they do much,, What exactly are they supposed to do ?

John.

Yea, I bought some emi ferrite core suppressors as well, they did no good at all in gold country. Same type noise as before. I was hopeful. Most my hunting areas are very quiet but there is some spurious warbles now and then.

Ridge Runner said:
I have a few Coils with those things on the leads but I am not sure if they do much,, What exactly are they supposed to do ?

John.
Supposed to prevent the coil lead (which acts like an antenna) from receiving & transmitting interference. Must be something to them - they are widely used on data cables etc. but I doubt they'd do much against atmospheric interference like lightning or high voltage/frequency installations. More for low voltage/frequency & things like RF interference from wireless & such I assume.

davent said:
Krisco said:
Dave, did you send your QED to Howard at his Redan PO box? I think I will take him up on the firmware update :) Thanks

My mate sent mine with his, so don't know the address, sorry.

Email address removed. Please refrain from posting them
Make sure to include return postal address details and also return postage (stamps are OK)

Thanks AEGPF, thats the address confirm I was hoping for. I think the suppressors are meant to be mandatory on all coils by govt legislation but even ML has stopped doing it.

mbasko said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.
Supposed to prevent the coil lead (which acts like an antenna) from receiving & transmitting interference.

That is correct.The QED complies with EMI emission standards without the ferrite rings but the EMI compliance tester recommended they be used.The ferrite rings do nothing to block or filter EMI from sources like Sferics, power lines, ground currents from SWER power lines or telluric currents,electric fences, arc welders or EMI from some motors.

Cool thanks Guys, they did cause reason for some head scratching when I bought a factory coil with them fitted so they must work, Aye.

1500698915_qed_test_ai.jpg

Here's how I got mine set up but I will trial the ext cable idea soon. Once I get the battery issue sorted. Only lasted 15 minutes this time so i will flatten em all again and recharge overnight. I got the noise shut up though, just reset the SMF to 50, dropped gain to 3. Aside from variable ground noise, she was quiet!

Here is a pic of my QED Krisco with the battery box.

1500715802_qed.jpg

In regards to your batteries which brand are you using if they are the Nickel Metal Hydride type?
I am yet to spend enough time detecting with the 12 NiMH batteries on board inside the battery Box to see how long they will last.
Also unfortunately the NiMH type batteries take a long time to recharge.

Yeah, using new 3000mAh NiMH cells. But I suspect I have at least 1 or 2 that are duds in the bunch. Using a torch to flatten em all and re-charging overnight to see if I can weed out the bad ones. I should be good to go then

The ones I am using are 2300 mAh NiMH Energizers which are a bit expensive although they received good test reviews in regards to other brands.

davent said:
In milder ground, it is a pretty easy machine to use, and even at home, I have used it in the suburbs to show mates etc how good it is with emi.
But in the field, it sometimes is very noisy and twice now in deep red ,almost maroon soil, dolerite rocks the size of footballs, it is very difficult to use.
I would love to have auto GB.

Also, no need to be sorry! I'm happy and proud to own my Australian designed and made PI metal detector!

Cheers.

Hi Dave just re-reading some of your old posts after a couple of love/hate days with the QED. Gotta agree that in milder ground it's an easy machine to use. Actually I'm finding where the ground stays reasonably consistent that it is easy to use. In these areas I seemed to GB once & it was staying stable apart from the odd ground noise here or there which is easily dismissed although I never got in any ground over around 128.
I'm finding that it can sometimes be a cantankerous little bugger in variable ground even where the ground reading isn't that high. In one area I was balancing anywhere between 104 to 128 & at times it quickly changed again in a matter of metres (lots of false signals) - auto GB will be welcomed for these type of areas I think. Been a bit frustrating today & yesterday. Was also one area that it loved the ironstone hotrocks too - hadn't had much trouble there before? Was a bit like running a Zed in normal :p

Mine will be going back to get the auto GB & new control box set up once updates are ready?

mbasko said:
davent said:
In milder ground, it is a pretty easy machine to use, and even at home, I have used it in the suburbs to show mates etc how good it is with emi.
But in the field, it sometimes is very noisy and twice now in deep red ,almost maroon soil, dolerite rocks the size of footballs, it is very difficult to use.
I would love to have auto GB.

Also, no need to be sorry! I'm happy and proud to own my Australian designed and made PI metal detector!

Cheers.

Hi Dave just re-reading some of your old posts after a couple of love/hate days with the QED. Gotta agree that in milder ground it's an easy machine to use. Actually I'm finding where the ground stays reasonably consistent that it is easy to use. In these areas I seemed to GB once & it was staying stable apart from the odd ground noise here or there which is easily dismissed although I never got in any ground over around 128.
I'm finding that it can sometimes be a cantankerous little bugger in variable ground even where the ground reading isn't that high. In one area I was balancing anywhere between 104 to 128 & at times it quickly changed again in a matter of metres (lots of false signals) - auto GB will be welcomed for these type of areas I think. Been a bit frustrating today & yesterday. Was also one area that it loved the ironstone hotrocks too - hadn't had much trouble there before? Was a bit like running a Zed in normal :p

Mine will be going back to get the auto GB & new control box set up once updates are ready?

The expanded mode (sample delay) in the QED firmware updates I think will help a lot in some of the difficult ground you have en-counted. Surprisingly over BW test patch running the mode at a much higher value did not seem to diminish the sensitivity to some small gold (.23gm and about 1 gram).
BW little test patch is certainly challenging as a 7000 could only achieve GB over it in the severe setting. But this test need to be repeated as the EMI was very bad during the test.Both detectors were effected but the 7000 was worse.

My QED has the modes up to 15. During the 2 days mode no. 2 seemed to be the best for stability & signal on my test piece overall (Detech 11" Ultra mono).
I do need to play with the higher modes some more & I'm also waiting on some other coils to try out so it's still early days.
Thanks for the pic. When will the new box & auto GB be available to upgrade? Will the headphone jack be incorporated into the new battery box now?

mbasko said:
My QED has the modes up to 15. During the 2 days mode no. 2 seemed to be the best for stability & signal on my test piece overall (Detech 11" Ultra mono).
When will the new box & auto GB be available to upgrade? Will the headphone jack be incorporated into the new battery box now?

When the optional upgrade's become available and i know the pricing (the firmware upgrade is free) I don't know if the headphone jack will be incorporated into the new battery box.

Latest posts