Blueish rock what is it ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... Well then does the Blue/Black areas Crumble away like the Limestone material does? and more easily after you have washed it? This is Fun... :)

LW...

Same as Heatho, thought the streak should be on the red end of the scale of brown - could also be down to other impurities in the rock. Also appears to be some irridecent coating on parts of the rock, may well be a hydrothermal sourced hematite - think they list the coating as an aluminium/phosphate combination.

Looks like manganese bud.
I'll find a photo of some I have at home.
Give me a few minutes.

1501240316_2017-07-28_21.11.13.jpg

If you rub it with your finger, it should leave a faint streak on your finger. Bit like a gray lead would.

Chromite was 'One' of my Choices as I saw a couple of pics on another site VERY similar to yours... I Kept getting a different streaks on the Tiles I have here, so I got some proper Streak Plates from Ebay for a few $$.. Better results now... :Y:

LW...

Wishfull said:
Heatho said:
I'm thinking possibly hematite or limonite. Looks like some type of mineral with a high iron content.

Guess what. My retired geologist friend says the rock is definitely Limonite.Well done Heatho :Y:

Cheers mate, after you cleaned it the oxides were a dead give away, also the streak test was a dead give away too. Have seen plenty of the stuff while gem fossicking.

Latest posts