Just Having a "Crack"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. This morning, I was running some extremely hard stone that I had collected on a field trip recently, through my little jaw crusher. As it wasn't breaking very well and making a screaching popping sort of noise I was giving it a helping hand with a Hammer and Gad. I gave one bit of particularly porous quartz a wack and broke it in half so I pulled it out of the crusher for a quick check and thought I could see some Copper Pyrites, so I gave it a quick rinse and had a look with the hand lens......
1500194649_p1040189.jpg

Here's a closer look with a the USB Mircoscope
1500195352_17716142910535.jpg

The Gold is intertwined with the Arsenopyrite crystals. I've not come across gold actually within the pyrite cyrstals before. So the day wasnt a complete waste of time.

Love the pics, small or large I wish I could find some specimen gold. :Y:

Thanks for the likes folks,
RM outback said:
hope you've got heaps more to work with
Ive got about 10 kgs of ore out of the reef as that was all I could carry back down the hill, So far that was the only free gold I could see in the rock prior to crushing. Its a long hard slog up the old barrow track to the mine and would take several trips to bring down 100kg unless I spent a week with the chainsaw and brushcutter clearing the logs, sapplings etc.
Rusty_G said:
small or large I wish I could find some specimen gold. thumbsup
I'd rater have Mad Tunas specimen. I wonder if he'll swap :lol:

Have you got a detector Jethro? Is it worth running a detector over each bit to see if it is worth carrying out or is that what you are already doing?

Northeast said:
Have you got a detector Jethro? Is it worth running a detector over each bit to see if it is worth carrying out or is that what you are already doing?
No I didnt take a detector as I was loaded up with Hardhat, Light, pick, Bucket. gad.GPS, water Milwalkee leafblower/ventilator, Jumper day pack. Dog, camera. The lil dog reminded me that someone is always doing it harder than myself And to keep pressing onwards.
A Couple of Pics of the area that Im prospecting in. I have previously posted these elsewhere.
The View from about halfway up the barrow track.
1500282778_p1040170.jpg

The Lode from where the ore came from.
1500283041_p1040159.jpg

i.e. You looked just like your avatar :lol:

I'll keep a look out for a cheap donkey, pony, big goat, alpaca for you ;)

Nice looking hole you've found. Good luck with it. Have you got a detector you could take up?

Hi Jethro,
great looking stone you have there!
thanks for the detailed pictures too: pretty coarse gold and sulphides.
I spent today looking for specimens with the SDC but with no joy.
keep up the good work: you and the pooch will get fit if nothing else!
cheers
Drystone

Northeast said:
Nice looking hole you've found. Good luck with it. Have you got a detector you could take up?
Only an old tesoro dingo, Not really worth it. I have been toying with the idea of buying another dedicated gold machine though.

jethro said:
Northeast said:
No I didnt take a detector as I was loaded up with Hardhat, Light, pick, Bucket. gad.GPS, water Milwalkee leafblower/ventilator, Jumper day pack. Dog, camera. The lil dog reminded me that someone is always doing it harder than myself And to keep pressing onwards.
A Couple of Pics of the area that Im prospecting in. I have previously posted these elsewhere.
The View from about halfway up the barrow track.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1297/1500282778_p1040170.jpg

The Lode from where the ore came from.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1297/1500283041_p1040159.jpg

very interesting :Y:

I'm not sure about a Tesoro Dingo's capabilities but will a Gold Monster be of any use to you?

I know if I found something like you have (and had the balls to go in there :/ ) I'd be scanning the lumps of rock and only carrying out the bits that 'pinged'.

Nugget has a pretty cheap GM for sale in the classifieds at the moment.

Latest posts