tradie trailer to prospecting/camper set up.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Kezz, that crossed my mind. There is one join im a bit concerned about, at the draw bar end. Its going to be aboy 50kg full, includeeing the pipe.
will give it a test run in the next few days, see if it holds up. My original plan was for one length of pipe, with a u turn at the filler end. Bloke at the plumming supply talked me into this set up, he, s made dozens so he reckons, for pig hunters, but they usually on have about 20lt.

Ah ok, i was thinkin of the continual flex on a bumpy track and the join not holding up or splitting.. Also putting rubber strips inside the brackets might absorb some of the jarring. I just don't want to see you go without a shower haha.. I am looking for idea's myself for my trailer so i will keep watching this thread.

Don, t too excited about this build, its not going to be the ultimate trailer, its just going to be functional for me. A prper off road camper would probably suit most people better, but I won, t be spending that much on it. Its not going to have an electronic switchboard, maybe not even its own battery yet.
Its just gonna be an empty trailer with some water storage, shade, and maybe some lights and jerry can holders.
I might upgrade the axle to a square one, so it can carry a bit more weight, and maybe, eventually, upgrade the suspension. I plan on dropping it off as soon as the track gets too much for it, set up a camp near that area.

davent said:
Yeah Kezz, that crossed my mind. There is one join im a bit concerned about, at the draw bar end. Its going to be aboy 50kg full, includeeing the pipe.
will give it a test run in the next few days, see if it holds up. My original plan was for one length of pipe, with a u turn at the filler end. Bloke at the plumming supply talked me into this set up, he, s made dozens so he reckons, for pig hunters, but they usually on have about 20lt.

Davent you could just lop a bit of length of pipe so it fits between ladder rack and mount to actual top of trailer cover then extend tap out under ladder rack?
This will give pipe support and also drop your height as it's pretty vulnerable to damage if you get into a narrow track with over hanging branches plus could support tap as being brass and quite heavy corrugation vibration could crack the end out even more so on the way home if it's empty.
Cheers

Awesome work davent, some luxury on the field :cool:
I'd have some more end capped pvc pipe around it with tarp rolled up inside it and legs. ( for use of shade / cover ) A little slit in the pvc with rubber flaps to seal water out etc. Where's the bumper dumper lol

The 4 x 4 extendable shade is making me think hard. Normally mounted on roof racks, and I havnt had a good look at one yet.
I Want to mount one on thedoor, below the handles, so when I set up, open one side, extend the shade with the door up, maybe pop rivet one on?
Anyone have an idea?

Hey Davent.
Take a look at this idea for a sun shade. Might give you some ideas
http://www.lcool.org/technical/sunshade/sun_shade.html
Cheers
ChrisM

Chris, good idea, but my shade is to be mounted at the bottom of the door, not really practicle for me, but thaks for the link.
Im going to go with Nicho61, s idea of a sail rail mounted via pop rivets on door, and a slide in shade. Rail will go on both doors, so I can switch sides.

davent said:
nicko61 said:
Mate it would be too heavy and stick out both ends (meaning it will be bumped and broken in no time, better getting sail track pop riveted to bottom of door and motor trimmer to make a canvas tarp to fit sail track and a couple of eyelets fitted for tent poles, i have a mate who can make one cheaply in 2.5 mtrs wide and length of your door and post it down to you, you would just have to fit the sail track , that way tarp when not in use could fold up and stick in trailer
Love the idea! Work with an ex motor trimmer who could do it easy for me, thanks for the idea! Will put the sail track on both sides of the trailer, then I can change sides to suit! Great idea!
:eek:
Post it down to me? Are you in PNG?

I use a couple of antenna gutter mounts with bolts pointing up and tent poles on the other end. Antenna mounts can be adjusted to size of tarp. Also have a third antenna mount on other side/back so a tarp can be put over the rear doors, when cooking. picture is 1.7x2.0 tarp.
1476705628_shade.jpg

trailer project is a slow mover atm!
But I have settled on the design for the shade at least.
Where the side doors close, and the bottom fold of the door faces the ground, is where the sail track will be mounted, on both doors.
The tarp will cme from the bottom of the door on an angle, and will have flaps.
1476788741_1466739154_20160622_0445481.jpg

That way, the tarp wont be rubbing on anything, the struts are very strong, and will hold it up no worries.
Only bad thing I can find with it, is I will have to pack everything up if I want to lock the trailer. Unless......

Depending on how you will tension the tarp,you may have to put a solid rod(broom handle or similar) under the door to stop it coming down..

OK, havnt really done much to the trailer, but am doing a little ATM. Was given a stainless water tank, its only about 35 Lt, but its pretty handy. One of my mates is making some straps to secure it. He's a boiler maker, working an open cut near Coolgardie ATM.also used some pop rivits to secure some sail track below the door. Auto trimmer whipping me up a good tarp set up. Upgrading the suspension next, its got slippers ATM, will change to eye to eye, and upgrade the u bolts to the axle.post some pics soon.

Here you go Dave, a couple of extra double shifts and you could score yourself one of these
1486686131_20160701_113043.jpg
1486686180_20160701_113020.jpg
1486686254_20160717_121433.jpg

Best quality 270 degree awning you can buy. It has saved my bacon by supplying plenty of shade where there ain't none!
Might need a bigger camper though to go with it... :cool:

Saw those on line a couple of weeks ago, they look great! Plenty of shade.
Could easily mount one on my trailer, something to consider down the track.

I was impressed with your set up OzzieAU at the Vic GT meet up. When I get the chance to go remote again I'll be looking into them

Made in South Africa, tough as, one person can deploy it in 30 seconds and pack it away almost as quick. It only needs one upright, and that's when it gets really windy!
Google alu-cab.com.au , they've got a vid of it on a troopy.
Best bit of kit I have invested in for the fourby.
1486705114_img_1630.jpg

Bloody 34 deg here today, sweating bad just setting that up for a pic! Be glad for the shade out bush!

Latest posts