Interesting PM

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Maybe the mods can chime in on the technical side but first, let me explain.

Had a new member inbox. No big deal there, but was asking to find some ground as they hadn't had much luck with their sdc. Now rude might be too strong of a word but it kind of goes against the grain to ask a total stranger via pm where to look with no back and forth between each other to develop some sort of relationship. Is that just me or am I getting old and grumpy?

But I think I'm taken aback a little more as there's no intro, no posts, nothing to even tell me if this person is even worth passing info on to.

My technical question is how can someone with zero posts send a PM?

Luckily it's not really spamming but it opens up the possibility if someone has found a way to send PMs without even getting to (the very low low count) 10 posts. Any mods care to chime in?

Maybe they thought that all they had to do was join and then people would be there to help them get on their way, It's a greenhorn thing, Hardly a hanging offense, just a Rookie who knows no better.

Hello Tathradj
regardless of the privacy issues, the members of this forum should at least be willing to provide a rough location not an exact address but at least what area, like sydney or tathra or perhaps the largest nearest town ,perhaps a postcode would help, how many posts does one read on this forum where we have to ask the location of the poster or new member I think this would help members get to know who is in their area

Wow this is surprising it's not just you getting old and grumpy even if it is true I'd be shacking my head if it happened to me. I wonder what other information their able to access without being noticed :N:. Are they able to locate a person by geo tags from photos :/ 8) :rolleyes: :mad:

Can you name the person if they have zero post's and their 1st is a PM to you I'd be concerned and wouldn't hesitate in naming them.

I know what you mean any way would be good to work out who is where
Even when it comes to travelling knowing someone is in that area with advice ie breakdowns even camping areas local prospecting/panning (and i don't mean there secret spots just an area) ect ect

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Hello Tathradj
regardless of the privacy issues, the members of this forum should at least be willing to provide a rough location not an exact address but at least what area, like sydney or tathra or perhaps the largest nearest town ,perhaps a postcode would help, how many posts does one read on this forum where we have to ask the location of the poster or new member I think this would help members get to know who is in their area

This issue has been raised several times in the past. As with the rest of the WWW it is up to the individual to share as much or as little information about themselves as they see fit. Obviously if a member is asking for advice etc, than giving a rough location will help get better responses.

I will give 99% information where i find colour but that other 1% is my spot and i will never tell (thats a lie i told my kids oops)
The information i give you will find colour
You are right everyone has that secret spot and so you should it took a long time to find it why tell the world
the place would be raped in a weekend (so to speak)

RM Outback said:
Wow this is surprising it's not just you getting old and grumpy even if it is true I'd be shacking my head if it happened to me. I wonder what other information their able to access without being noticed :N:. Are they able to locate a person by geo tags from photos :/ 8) :rolleyes: :mad:

Can you name the person if they have zero post's and their 1st is a PM to you I'd be concerned and wouldn't hesitate in naming them.

Of course they can Geo Tag your photos if you have not taken the appropriate precautions prior to posting your pics. Google is your friend. Find out how to secure yourself when posting pics...

Dogmatic said:
Of course they can Geo Tag your photos if you have not taken the appropriate precautions prior to posting your pics. Google is your friend. Find out how to secure yourself when posting pics...

This has been raised before, but Prospecting Australia's website software automatically strips out that info before publishing pics.

grubstake said:
Dogmatic said:

This has been raised before, but Prospecting Australia's website software automatically strips out that info before publishing pics.

I'm sure it does Grubstake, but if you want to be sure, really sure, you need to take some personal responsibility and do it yourself rather than hoping a web site does it for you.

Dogmatic said:
grubstake said:
Dogmatic said:

I'm sure it does Grubstake, but if you want to be sure, really sure, you need to take some personal responsibility and do it yourself rather than hoping a web site does it for you.

Thanks for the heads up guy's I'm aware of the responsibilities of taking charge. My point is if a person can register without posting but still PM another member how secure is the site ?. The rules are simple and regulated and everyone does there best to stay with in the rules except the person who bought about cause for this thread. The parameters are regulated by the site owners yet they have been broken without giving the Mod's the opportunity to regulate. Does this make me a bit cynical the answer Yes.

That is why I would like to know what is going on. :)
Yes, A newbie should be helped a little but what I am concerned
about is a possible glitch with the forum setup.

Interesting post.
I gather most members are more then willing to help a new member out with "tips" but if they are like myself, , also cautious about blow ins mining the forum for information and afterwards never contributing to the forum or its members.
Some times its hard not to be cynical of the motives of a first time poster who asks for help on a location, when they could do a google search and come up with general information on locations on their own.
For me, I prefer to not give out info on locations etc until I see they have 10 or more posts and have begun to exhibit a willingness to participate on the forum.
It is a shame new members are not compelled to read and abide by a code of conduct before gaining full access and membership privileges as a way to educate new members and also to weed out the unscrupulous greedy don't give a damn types that are always attracted to the idea of a quick gain.
Anyway that just my perspective..

I'll send Tath a screen shot. ( Just sent to your phone Tath let me know if you want it via email or PM instead).

Also recieved a follow up PM from the original person after reading this thread , that was explaining no offence was meant from asking, not that I thought any was intended in the first place. I guess when you figure out what a lot of new chums can be like and how hard spots can be to find I become a little apprehensive and start on the back foot. I wont name names, I think this persons intention is innocent enough, and if they're reading chuck up an introduction post and introduce yourself to the best gold forum on the WWW.

I'll leave the matter in the hands of the mods, just a bit surprised there's a loophole somewhere.Just bringing it to attention so they can avoid any potential future issues.

;) Goldtarget.