WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Bruce.Is it worth buying a second hand 4500 providing its in good nick ect or do you think it's worth the extra to buy brand new?

Yeah that's a fair point mate.Think I will definitely choose a Pi model this time.The gr was a fun detector and picked up really small targets but just a bit noisy in the areas I was in.I think a Pi might be the go this time

Mick,

Try Reeds prospecting they hire detectors at a reasonable rate
I have no affiliation with them..

Your closest area to prospect is Southern Cross area....
You can pick up a Miners Right at the DMP 2nd floor...
At 100 Plain Street Perth it will cost $ 25.00 for life....
They should be able to give you some maps and info if you ask

If I was in town I could organise a trip but I am at work in The Pilbara

Have fun enjoy the time if you get out

Beers Nanjim
Jim

Thanks for the info Jim.

That's a pretty special workplace there mate,the Pilbara.
I'm from Victoria but love it over here and thanks for the offer of the trip,I will pm you next time I'm here :Y:
I'm hoping to go Monday but it might have to wait for next time,which gives me more time to research.
I'm really looking forward to getting out there and Southern Cross definitely looks like the right spot.

Mick,

Get your head around Geo View, Tengraph, Geo Map....
They are a big help all on the DMP website.....

Southern Cross is. Good 5 or 6 hrs drive depending how heavy your right foot is....
and how many demerit points you have at your disposal.....

Yes The Pilbara is a wonderful place I have been in and out of here for years and still find interesting places ....
At the moment I am at Wodgina this place has a lot of history.....

There are apparently some spots to prospect in the Perth Hills but that is all secret squirrels type stuff....
Mostly on Private property that I am not privy to...

As I said enjoy the trip....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Cheers Jim.
Once you get out of Perth into the hills it looks really promising.

Thanks for the tip with the DMP website.
Time to do some research.
:Y:

Hi all.
im planning on doing some traveling throughout W.A next year by car (4x4) i would like to do some gold detecting while i am traveling, i would like to know what the correct licenses would be to legally metal detect for gold, I will only be metal detecting, not panning, no machine or anything like that, strictly metal detecting and camping.
im aware of the need to het a W.A miners right, but is there any other ones i may need. i have not selected any areas yet i may visit however.

thanks in advance
Marticus

hi
you may want to get in touch with John Gutmanis
Eureka Prospecting
He did tag along tours over there over the last couple of years that I believe were good.
You would learn a lot and be with other hopeful prospectors.

Good Luck

Scotty

thanks everyone thats pretty much what i was after. So my next question, does anyone know of a way to check for local leases that may be in use. so im not trespassing on someones claim. i know alot of sites are not pegged, marked or fenced.

any dept. of mines office will help you with that. they are in most of the towns you will likely be travelling through and I have found every one of them to be very helpful. they will print you a map of any areas you may want to try in any scale that suits you all for a donation to the r.f.d.s. you will need a gps and know how to use it to find the lease boundaries because as you say virtually none are marked in any shape or form. a list of offices is in the back of your guide that you get with your miners permit. good luck.

Mike Marsupial said:
Ha ha ha. I guess everyone must be keeping their precious information to themselves! Ha ha ha.

Nah it's all at Erlstoun Station haven't ya seen MT's threads :lol: :Y:. Or check out MB's post with his GPS tracks. These blokes must have been scouts in their early days and remember the motto "We Share because We Care" :Y:.

:lol: :lol: ]:D

Theres still some here they reckon , if sharings caring they should me in there with my highbanker :lol:

1525695020_0000000000.jpg

I never realised the Super Pit was so close to the town. I was there for a short time in 1984 as a 19 year old, working on the footings for a new head stack when it was WMC and owned by Alan Bond and the thing I most remember is how many old unknown shafts and tunnels were there.

One day just before a concrete pour into a 2 metre by 2 metre by 2 metre footing the guy working next to me dug a bit deep in a corner of the dirt hole and this leg disappeared down a shaft. Luckily for him it was a diagonal tunnel and only his leg went through. The builders and surveyors etc. were called in and everyone stood around scratching their heads saying "we didn't know that was there". That was it for our working that day and we got to sit and watch as they called in concrete trucks full of extra wet mix which they just kept pouring down the hole until it filled up. I think we counted 23 truckloads. No doubt they dug up all of our hard work when the Super Pit began.

It really was still the Wild West back then, just ask Bondy!

Latest posts